• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD's FSR3 possibly next month ?

Soldato
Well it should always be double of the "real" frame rate by adding in "fake" frames.
DLSS or FSR 3 should be always double the frame rate.

No it shouldn't. It requires processing power to generate those frames.

Similarly it requires processing power to upscale, you don't get free upcaling either.

Both are only free, if you really don't try to do very much.

You'll see here, no game is more than double for DLSS3 vs DLSS3 FG.

The only game that actually gets close to double is flight simulator, which is possibly the most ideal game for frame interpolation due to everything being slow to change.

So when people post videos of FSR3 mods getting more than double the performance (or even double), either the interpolation is doing very little, or they are literally just repeated frames with next to no interpolation. Should leave it to the developers instead of kidding yourselves.

Last edited:
Soldato
No it shouldn't. It requires processing power to generate those frames.

Similarly it requires processing power to upscale, you don't get free upcaling either.

Both are only free, if you really don't try very much.

No it really is. It's how these work that's a fact!

60fps "real" = 120fps "fake" it's always double the frame rate of the "real" frames.

Soldato
No it really is. It's how these work that's a fact!

60fps "real" = 120fps "fake" it's always double the frame rate of the "real" frames.

Double? May as well make it triple if you aren't gonna do real frame generation. FSR3 doesn't even use dedicated hardware, so even less likely. These mods are clearly broken.

4-p.webp

2-p.webp

6-p.webp

Last edited:
Associate
What are people's impressions of Intel's XeSS upscaling with the Ultra quality preset? How does it compare to native resolution in your opinion?

I noticed that the base renderer in Cyberpunk 2077 has some visual artifacts on things like billboards, these are not present when either XeSS or FSR are enabled (I only tested at the top presets). So, in this game, the overall visual quality of XeSS might be better in some situations. Maybe there are issues with the temporal AA (at native), not sure.
I game at 1440p ultrawide with a 6800xt and had a play about with XeSS and FSR yesterday in Cyberpunk at the highest presets. Graphics are using the HUB optimised quality setting.

With XeSS at ultra quality the performance gain was minimal, about +5fps over native, and introduced visual artifacts on vegetation particularly at the edges of leaves and on grass. These weren't visible when stood still looking at a static scene but as soon as camera motion was introduced they became noticeable. With the native renderer I noticed ghosting when travelling in cars in the cockpit view, especially around the wing mirrors and XeSS didn't reduce these.

FSR 2.1 at the quality preset gave a bigger performance gain of about +25fps but the visual artifacting on vegetation was much worse and noticeable, even when standing still. Similarly to XeSS it also did nothing to lessen the ghosting present in the native render.

Given the small performance gain of XeSS and the visual artifacting of both upscalers i'm just sticking with native for the time being. If FSR 3 can reduce the artifacting at the quality preset whilst still give the same performance boost i'll probably swap to it over the base renderer.
cyE4XFh.png
qWXjdla.png
qS1TzPt.png

Soldato
Double? May as well make it triple if you aren't gonna do real frame generation. FSR3 doesn't even use dedicated hardware, so even less likely. These mods are clearly broken.

4-p.webp

2-p.webp

6-p.webp

OK so it's not quite exactly double but it's not far away.
Native FSR 3.0 games show close to double the frame rate.

In my testing I have tried mortal Kombat locked game at 60fps and my frame rate was 120fps double.
Mind you this was with the driver side version of this tech so maybe that is were I am getting my numbers mixed up.

Soldato
OK so it's not quite exactly double but it's not far away.
Native FSR 3.0 games show close to double the frame rate.

In my testing I have tried mortal Kombat locked game at 60fps and my frame rate was 120fps double.
Mind you this was with the driver side version of this tech so maybe that is were I am getting my numbers mixed up.

Are you locking with an fps limiter? If you locked it yourself then that means there is actually headroom above that hence why you can easily get double of 60fps. You really need to see what you get maxed out without a limiter to see what your true max frame rate is and then enable frame gen. You will then see that it won't be exactly double.

Soldato
Are you locking with an fps limiter? If you locked it yourself then that means there is actually headroom above that hence why you can easily get double of 60fps. You really need to see what you get maxed out without a limiter to see what your true max frame rate is and then enable frame gen. You will then see that it won't be exactly double.

Mortal Kombat is limited to 60fps with frame gen osd reads 120fps.

But anyway I suspect that the driver version is different to the actual FSR 3.0

Soldato
One thing that's weird about FSR2, is that if you force it to run above the FSR Quality preset, using 'Dynamic resolution scaling' in Cyberpunk 2077, it actually performs worse than running at native resolution.

I imagine this is a problem with all upscaling, it is not without a performance cost...

You can force XeSS to run at 90% in Cyberpunk via Dynamic Resolution Scaling, which looks quite good.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Soldato
I've been finding that using FSR2 or XeSS to render Cyberpunk 2077 at 100% of the native resolution results in quite a bit lower performance than running with the base game renderer. The game looks better with either of these rendering methods, because of some artifacts that aren't dealt with by default.

So, the only reason DLSS Quality/FSR Quality or XeSS quality perform any better, is the significantly lower resolution (and resulting pixel count) being rendered, with the standard presets.

Last edited:
Soldato
New Insomniac leak details shows the 2025 Wolverine game is targeting a Ray Tracing on and 60fps performance baseline. It also says the game will be rendered in real time using a machine learning AI upscaling technology.

FSR3 is not a machine learning upscaler. So what is Insomniac talking about? Is this our first hint for FSR4? Or is it corroborating an earlier leaker that claimed the PS5 Pro would have its own Sony developed AI upscaler?

Soldato
I've been playing the Witcher 3 at 4K native resolution. It's running pretty well when running with the Lukefz frame gen mod. I've seen it dip to 65 FPS (1% low), but it feels very smooth, no ghosting issues.

I can run the game with some basic ray tracing enabled, but not sure if it's worth it (even though it does look nice).

EDIT - I can run the game at 60 FPS at 4K Ultra + RT options enabled, but only if I use FSR2 Quality mode (internal resolution is 1440p) as well. I think it may be worth it in this game, because the RT does change the way the game looks significantly, even removing some issues with aliasing /jaggies.

Last edited:
Soldato
New Insomniac leak details shows the 2025 Wolverine game is targeting a Ray Tracing on and 60fps performance baseline. It also says the game will be rendered in real time using a machine learning AI upscaling technology.

FSR3 is not a machine learning upscaler. So what is Insomniac talking about? Is this our first hint for FSR4? Or is it corroborating an earlier leaker that claimed the PS5 Pro would have its own Sony developed AI upscaler?

You can run a really basic model and call it machine learning.

I'm not really sure what makes it AI though. Feels more like buzzwords being thrown about at that point.

Soldato
New version of Nukem9's mod out

0.81:
  • Fixed GPU hangs in certain games with major scene transitions (e.g. The Witcher 3).
  • Miscellaneous smaller stability fixes and error checking.
  • Added the ability to rename nvngx.dll to version.dll, winhttp.dll, or dbghelp.dll to avoid the registry key signature override requirement.

I've been experimenting quite a bit more in the last week or so, and there's still a ton of promise in this mod. It also seems much better and easier to use than the LukeFZ FSR3 frame gen mod versions out there.
Got it working well in a few more games too, including Deliver us Mars that was free on the Epic Store a bit ago. Top tip/ my notes to get it working for that game and other Epic store games....

Needs a bit of faffing but works and looks great! Mod also works in conjunction with my Specialk Injection for HDR! NOTE: May have to toggle frame gen off then on/ vice versa in game menu to get it to kick in.​

INSTRUCTIONS​

1. You must launch game from the game's exe not via the Epic launcher. I run it from this one: "..........\DeliverUsMars\DeliverUsMars\Binaries\Win64\DeliverUsMars-Win64-Shipping.exe"
2. EPIC game store games currently have an issue with Nukem9's mod. TO FIX just delete ALL the contents of this folder: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Epic Games\Launcher\Portal\Extras\Overlay"

Mod files go here: yourgamelocation\DeliverUsMars\DeliverUsMars\Binaries\Win64

Last edited:
Caporegime
@wunkley

Have you tried it in dying light 2? Curious to hear how you find it in that as I notice severe blur with it on despite the base fps being like 70-80 with dlss quality but in other games, the motion isn't as bad even when base fps is <60 fps

Last edited:
Soldato
The latest version of Lukefz's frame generation mod fully supports The Witcher 3, and it performs well.

All you have to do it enable frame generation in the game options (use the FSR2.0 mod variant) :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I asked this in the gaming forum but I think there's more interest in this thread so here goes....

Only just got around to trying LukeFz's mod - it's way more complicated to set up vs Nukem's but I got it working in Spiderman Remastered on my Steam Deck (Nukems mod wont work on the deck as it only works with Nvidia GPUs as we know).

However I'm confused about the LukeFZ mod i.e. is there no way to turn it on or off using the in game frame gen option? The frame gen option is just greyed out, even though frame gen is clearly working, and working well! With Nukem 9's mod the in game frame gen option is selectable in many games and you can therefore turn frame gen on or off easily in game, on the fly.

Am I missing something, or is this just how LukeFZ's mod is? Hope not as that's a right ball ache....

Back
Top Bottom