Antec Core HS / Ayaneo Slide Handheld PC Console (Questions & Support thread)

They should be giving me a cut as I spent a lot of time since I got the device supporting their customers (@Ace Modder wink wink :cry: goodie bag maybe ? :D ) and letting people know that wanted one they were back in stock a few times now, to the point last time I lost out on grabbing a white one after getting my black one, yesterday I grabbed a Legion Go too, as I'm planning on using that as my emulation device now and the two Antecs one will be a portable pc gaming device and other (the white one) I think so far I will use as my test Linux system for Steam OS like features and other Linux builds.

Just trying to get the Autumn/Winter hobbies ready over the cold period as we always get stuck at home then, so also trying to enjoy any of the nice weather for now till then, then the big dive into these devices.

Did you get one in the end too an Antec or the Legion Go ? I honestly still think the Antec Core HS/ AyaNeo Slide is one of the best true handhelds for its performance and features in the right handheld device size out of all the devices I have purchased, tested and returned or just had a play with that other people owned. The Legion Go is really a tablet to me with controllers bolted on and that's where it also has its appeal as it can be used for more than a gaming device due to the larger screen and more of a Microsoft Surface type device to me. It's nice and now own one and waiting for the 2TB SSD for it today and will get that in and have a real play with it, last time I tried one was threw a work mate that had one and he has now got one of the Antecs too after trying mine out when I took it into the office and a bunch of others in the office that use gaming handhelds agree it's a good device at a good price point with high end features and specs.
Yeah I bought a Legion go couple of weeks back, I got my order in for the Antec it's coming tomorrow, I'm going to be using the Legion for home use while the Antec will be the outside portable one.

Looking forward for it to arrive and have a good play about with it.

Quick Edit,

As good as the Legion Go is, I've replaced the joysticks for tighter ones, Also I find the right thumbstick is slighty too low for my tumb in general, So if i'm playing any sort of FPS I just turn the controllers into FPS mode and connect my Xbox elite controller.

Last edited:
Yeah I bought a Legion go couple of weeks back, I got my order in for the Antec it's coming tomorrow, I'm going to be using the Legion for home use while the Antec will be the outside portable one.

Looking forward for it to arrive and have a good play about with it.

Good stuff you will appreciate having both devices as they both really play a different role and why I decided in the end on both of them out of all the devices out there, they are the best of the bunch right now and only other one I would add is the Steam Deck OLED if you want just a more simple device and no windows. Nothing else really beats these.

It's funny the Antec is 6"

The Steam Deck OLED is 7.4"

The Legion Go is 8.8"

All going up by 1.4" .... so maybe I/we should get the Steam Deck OLED too to fill that middle space size :cry: , if it goes on sale I may do that I still like the idea of one of them, just the OLED burn in issue put me off in recent days and the pure lack of grunt for emulation of higher end systems, but still a really good device from Valve and hoping a new update with a better SOC too and that will seal the deal for sure too.

Last edited:
93zs4d.jpg

Will update later once I've had a chance to get some stuff installed and test it out :D

Quick Edit,

As good as the Legion Go is, I've replaced the joysticks for tighter ones, Also I find the right thumbstick is slighty too low for my tumb in general, So if i'm playing any sort of FPS I just turn the controllers into FPS mode and connect my Xbox elite controller.

Which joysticks did you replace them with, I'm looking into the D-Pad replacement or a fix to make it better too, it's not as bad as I remembered it when testing but can still be improved if there is an easy none destructive way. I don't want to make any physical modifications that can't be undone back to stock or cutting bits out of the device like some people are doing. To me that messes up the device and destroys the warranty.

That was the reason I just got a 2TB 2230 with 2242 adapter for the legion go so that way not having to mod the back of the case to stick a 2280 in for now the mod is easy but while in warranty I would rather keep it stock and make sure no issues with the device out of the box first then in the future I will do that mod if I need a 2280 with larger capacity NVME SSD, if I decide to keep it by then and not replace it with a new shiny device that fits that role better.

Last edited:
Will update later once I've had a chance to get some stuff installed and test it out :D

DPD did good today it seems, my 2TB SSD just appeared 5 minutes ago too :D and not had to chase them around like last time grrr .. Always scared when I see an expensive item is being delivered by them in recent times as the drivers are so lost around my area..

Read my first post on here regarding setting it up and other things, remember no need to flash the bios or firmware as all is new out of the box and just update windows and update AyaSpace inside AyaSpace, then update the AMD drivers inside the AMD Adrenalin graphics driver interface and you should be done, may need to tweak your controller settings but you will see by then and like I said any issues or questions this is the thread for that and here to help if needed and others here as owners will also help I'm sure.

Enjoy the unpacking it really is the best handheld unpacking and the minute you get the device in your hands and how solid it feels. :D

Last edited:
Had a little play earlier, impressed with the performance, although it did shred the battery pretty quickly under load. Also got hotter than I was expecting externally, but the CPU/GPU stayed nice and cool (mid 60s), so a very effective cooling solution!

It runs SkaterXL perfectly at native res, although some mod maps will work it harder. That should get me through a few hospital visits without dying of boredom! (as long as I can find a spare plug socket :P )
Also ran Dirt 5 for a bit - using the in game resolution scaling, can't remember what other settings but looked pretty good (got about 20-25fps with settings cranked up more). Will have a play with FSR/RSR some time.

I've loaded up some more games so will take some time next week to form a solid opinion - I'm still not sure if the handheld life suits me, but at this price it seems like a relative bargain for the spec and build quality. (it's also quite heavy and chunky feeling, not as flimsy as I'd feared!)

Purgatory - I'll probably need some advice on the software stack side of it, I'll ping you when I reach that point....

Speaking of software - AMD driver 23.11 and W11 23H2 with a build number from July '24, haven't bothered updating stuff yet

Had a little play earlier, impressed with the performance, although it did shred the battery pretty quickly under load. Also got hotter than I was expecting externally, but the CPU/GPU stayed nice and cool (mid 60s), so a very effective cooling solution!

It runs SkaterXL perfectly at native res, although some mod maps will work it harder. That should get me through a few hospital visits without dying of boredom! (as long as I can find a spare plug socket :P )
Also ran Dirt 5 for a bit - using the in game resolution scaling, can't remember what other settings but looked pretty good (got about 20-25fps with settings cranked up more). Will have a play with FSR/RSR some time.

I've loaded up some more games so will take some time next week to form a solid opinion - I'm still not sure if the handheld life suits me, but at this price it seems like a relative bargain for the spec and build quality. (it's also quite heavy and chunky feeling, not as flimsy as I'd feared!)

Purgatory - I'll probably need some advice on the software stack side of it, I'll ping you when I reach that point....

Speaking of software - AMD driver 23.11 and W11 23H2 with a build number from July '24, haven't bothered updating stuff yet

Once you get use to it the battery life can be easily managed in AyaSpace as out of the box it is set very high, You will see what I mean when you get your head around it after a few days of tinkering and getting use to where everything is and how to set it, it's easy really and will surprise you how much better battery life you will get at probably the same performance levels you are seeing now and with much less heat too. Ohh the cooling is amazing on it for such a powerful small device and as you found out now, it is so well built and a solid device that feels like its worth its money and not some cheap toy.

Remember these cost over £1000 just for the device without the free bundle from Antec as the AyaNeo Slide and still sold for that as the Slide now and people still paying a lot more for them as Slides when they can get them, I know I wanted one but the price scared me when they got released from AyaNeo, you can check here that's the only place to get them in UK new :- https://droix.co.uk/product/aya-neo-slide/... get ready for the price shock and click between white and black version too.

Yes make sure to update windows totally and to update the AyaSpace and AMD drivers as you will get better performance and more features too..

Regarding you are not sure if handheld life suits you, it can always be docked and used as another windows pc too when not used as a handheld so multi use device or as a console in the living room plugged into the TV and a xbox controller or any windows controller you like. As you now noticed its worth its money and none of that buyers remorse feeling with it as it is a real bargain even if you use it rarely. Why I have 2 of them now as too good a deal to pass. :D

Last edited:
Once you get use to it the battery life can be easily managed in AyaSpace as out of the box it is set very high, You will see what I mean when you get your head around it after a few days of tinkering and getting use to where everything is and how to set it, it's easy really and will surprise you how much better battery life you will get at probably the same performance levels you are seeing now and with much less heat too. Ohh the cooling is amazing on it for such a powerful small device and as you found out now, it is so well built and a solid device that feels like its worth its money not some toy.

For sure, I noticed it was running 42W total power (according to the negative 'charging' stat on screen) and was pushing the graphics higher than I'd be happy to settle for, for the use case.
If I can settle at a lower wattage (and tf longer battery) I'll be happy... Ideally would be nice if I can make 1.5hr train ride for work metings and then charge it fo the return journey! (although I realise that trains have plugs too now!)

As for docked use... I WFH and have my main (5950x/7900XT) system connected to the TV, so it'll mainly only be used while away from home. I have been playing it while watching a stream/podcast on the TV, but I'm sure that novelty will wear off soon :P

Ah c'mon... couldn't take the time to screen the PSP out for the Antec? :P

... and in reading this back I realised that the driver that came pre-installed is before they added AFMF :O on my desktop that's taken ARK:SA from frustrating to very playable at good seetings, I should get on with that ASAP!
@Purgatory - is it the normal ADM drivers, or anything I need to be aware of when updating?!

... and in reading this back I realised that the driver that came pre-installed is before they added AFMF :O on my desktop that's taken ARK:SA from frustrating to very playable at good seetings, I should get on with that ASAP!
@Purgatory - is it the normal ADM drivers, or anything I need to be aware of when updating?!

Just update the drivers inside AMD Adrenalin graphics/control panel, click update and it will do the rest. Make sure to run all them windows updates too, then read what I said on the main/first post and a few posts down too with more info.

Once I get some time I will work on this thread and the main post to tidy it up more and add more info there too, but for now more than enough to get people threw the main questions and issues they need help with, anything else not on there just ask here and I or others will reply. :)

Nope they use :- https://www.amd.com/en/products/processors/laptop/ryzen/7000-series/amd-ryzen-7-7840u.html

Also the AMD Adrenalin graphics/control panel if not present for any reason use Microsoft store to get it.

Keep it simple for now and just use the update in the current AMD drivers installed and it will do everything you need with the most current drivers for the device. More you fiddle more headaches.. remember different from a desktop so may use very different drivers from what you are use to, but they come direct from AMD with these and not the OEM of the device like with the Z1/Extreme devices (Ally/Legion Go) ... so they wait for ages for driver updates..

Last edited:
Had me worried there... I hit the AMD update button and it went through the usual initial steps and then sat on a grey screen for 30+ minutes... eventually the screen went to sleep/black so I moved the stick to be greeted by the normal 'oh hey dude, all done but you're gonna wanna reboot' screen :D Doing Windows updates now... my life is so boring that I recongnise those KB numbers lmao :D

Sure did, safely delivered by DPD. :)

Haven't had much of a play with it yet, save installing FH5 on it.

Will have a re-read of your posts tomorrow to see what to do next! :p

Was just checking because I see they are now only 9 Black and 10 White out of the 70 units. So by Monday-Tuesday I'm guessing all will be gone :cry: , they never last every time they went in stock. So making sure they sent you yours and it's with you... or you know suddenly an email saying out of stock and do you want a refund ..

Hope you enjoy it :).

@Purgatory - is there a specific way around that I need to use the charging cable? (afaik USB-C isn't all wired the same way for power!) It's only managing to charge at around 13W+ (I know that's minus the power usage!) but the base unit is rated for 65.

Also is there any issue with running a longer (/cheaper, from the usual place) cable? the provided one barely reaches the arm of my sofa and when playing earlier it seemed fine for power while plugged in. (Mafia Definiteive edition runs pretty great!)

...additional questions... the AMD overlay comes up sideways.. is this cos the screen is technically portrait (like the legion)? I locked the rotation but it's still coming up sideways - also had no luck enabling RSR/ AFMF, so killing performance a bit but not sure if it's game specific

@Purgatory - is there a specific way around that I need to use the charging cable? (afaik USB-C isn't all wired the same way for power!) It's only managing to charge at around 13W+ (I know that's minus the power usage!) but the base unit is rated for 65.

Also is there any issue with running a longer (/cheaper, from the usual place) cable? the provided one barely reaches the arm of my sofa and when playing earlier it seemed fine for power while plugged in. (Mafia Definiteive edition runs pretty great!)

...additional questions... the AMD overlay comes up sideways.. is this cos the screen is technically portrait (like the legion)? I locked the rotation but it's still coming up sideways - also had no luck enabling RSR/ AFMF, so killing performance a bit but not sure if it's game specific

Should charge either way the USB-C (top port or bottom one), I know some devices you need to sometimes flip the cable. Not noticed that but will check that.

The 13W charging maybe because you have some settings changed regarding the charging and pass through power in AyaSpace, there is a settings there for that also the battery has its own logic on how fast to charge depending on the temperature of the system, so maybe its also doing that and it also has some other logic to keep the battery health good depending how far in the charge cycle it is. So don't worry about that when not used and charging it will charge super fast unless it thinks it is getting hot or near the end of the charge cycle.

Just use any USB-C cable rated for 65W + power charging and should work I have a 100W rated long cable here and works fine. That's why I love the charger they supplied you can change the cable to any you like as it is USB-C, the Legion Go, Ally, MSI Claw are all hard wired to the charger grrr so mains power extensions needed.

AMD overlay needs a fix that is coming for portrait devices, buy can be fixed now too with some modding to the files in the driver as can be seen here in the video. Need to find that info on how to do that again, I did do it when I got the device but since then reinstalled it as going to use it for PC games only and use my second new one (white one) for LINUX/Steam OS stuff. Will try find that for you. Thanks for reminding me of that too as I need to do that for the Legion Go as that is portrait too.

Video here shows what I mean with the overlay fix and AFMF etc.

EDIT: I also read this from AyaNeo replying on Reddit :-

AYANEO
6mo ago

COMPANY ACCOUNT

the service life of the battery is related to the number of charges and discharges also the saturation level of the battery. In order to avoid frequent charge and discharge and prevent the battery from being saturated for a long time, when the battery power is above 95%, it will not be charged when the plug in, to protect the battery.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom