Anyone shop at Aldi?

Caporegime
Not entirely sure if it is true, but I was told by someone heavily involved in a well known supermarket that a lot of own brand goods are actualy branded goods relabelled as own brand.

Very true.

Many own brands are actually premium branded goods with different packaging and nothing else. Same product, different package half the price!

I see this all the time doing "factory gate" collections from suppliers and then delivering to supermarket distribution centres.

Equally, many own brand items like household cleaning stuff for example comes from the same supplier but gets packaged differently for the respective chain be it Tosco, Asda, Aldi or Lidl....

I prefer Lidl over Aldi overall, but they certainly can't match the big chains for choice, I use Lidl & Aldi for specific things, if I fancy a big speculative shop with the Mrs, we generally goto Asda as we both dislike Tosco. :D

As for the OP parking across two bays in such places is indeed going to end in your beloved poor mans BMW being vandalised as generally the one gripe I have with Lidl & Aldi is they usually have small car parks where muppets parking like you did won't be appreciated!

Last edited:
Associate
It's good for screenwash, always one of the cheapest places.

I used to go a fair amount but:

1) General selection is limited due to store sizes.
2) Fruit and veg selection is often mediocre in selection and quality
3) Parking spaces can often be difficult at peak times due to limited size car parks

Meat is normally pretty good to be fair but this alone doesn't justify travelling further to an Aldi store. There are plenty of the bigger supermarkets closer to my house and I can always get everything I need in one go.

Soldato
I can understand why some people park across two spaces.

My sister had someone dent in all the side of her car on the car park. No witnesses, no note from the driver.

Had to claim on own insurance to get it fixed and because of the claim, her premiums went up.

Already struggling financially, it was not helpful in the slightest. Every time she parked she was terrified someone would do the same so she used to use parent/child spaces where possible or double park.

It had nothing to do with a superiority complex, and everything to do with reacting to a bad experience that she could ill afford to have happen again.

Soldato
I'm not buying that. I really, really hate people who double park and there is NO excuse for it. I've had my car dented in a car park, quite badly with no note left. I too cannot afford to have it happen yet I will still never park over 2 spaces. It's just plain inconsiderate and when I see people doing it I have to say something. ******s.

Anyway, back on topic, I shop at Aldi and I find their stuff to be very good quality and excellent value.

Soldato
I can understand why some people park across two spaces.

My sister had someone dent in all the side of her car on the car park. No witnesses, no note from the driver.

Had to claim on own insurance to get it fixed and because of the claim, her premiums went up.

Already struggling financially, it was not helpful in the slightest. Every time she parked she was terrified someone would do the same so she used to use parent/child spaces where possible or double park.

It had nothing to do with a superiority complex, and everything to do with reacting to a bad experience that she could ill afford to have happen again.

If you're struggling financially, why prioritise fixing a dent in your car door? It's not like it doesn't drive due to the dent.

Man of Honour
Just park at the far end of the car park. The close spaces are usually taken up by fat people / disabled people who can't walk or control themselves so end up slamming car doors and hitting your car with their walking sticks.

Never had a problem doing that.

Permabanned
What absolute twaddle.

The reason they drive old clunkers is because they can't afford to buy new fancy cars. By parking accross two spaces they are going to go out of the way to vandalise your car to teach you a lesson for being an arse with a superiority complex.

Rich people arguably give less of a **** about things, because if something does go wrong they can pay for it. And to say they look after things is just absurd, I've seen all manner of high end car killed by owner neglect.

There's a nearly new XC90 down my road with frigging ditchfinders on two of the rims and paintwork covered in swirlmarks, most "rich" people don't know how to look after things.

This.

See all those Arabs in London, do you think they give a toss about kerbing an alloy on their Aventador? It's only a couple of k to replace if that (I wouldn't own something so gaudy), and that's nothing to people who will inherit hundreds of millions and even billions.

Soldato
I think the Audi comment(s) was to get a reaction as I don't believe for a second that 86JR thinks his second hand Audi is a sign of wealth and superiority given he's still living with his parents. :p

Soldato
They also treat their staff like ****.

Like most big retailers then, I've worked for a couple of them & the bosses are not nice people. :mad:

I think that the likes of Aldi & Lidl have 'upped' their game in recent years quality wise. I buy their crisps,brekky & sandwiches & the quality is the same as the other supermarkets, dut a fair bit cheaper. I prefer their crisps to the main brand crisps like walkers. Walkers Salt & Vinegar crisp are so strong in flavour It feels my mouth is burning, whereas the Aldi own brand salt & vinegar (crinkle cut) are fine.

Price of diet Coke cans is roughly about the same though.

Soldato
Aldi and Lidl are great, only people who call them are those that are snobs. Loads of great items to be had at a much lower price than Tesco etc.

My local Aldi car park has the same recession white Qashqais and look at me Audis on lease/finance as any other car park.

Soldato
I am thinking of shopping there from now on because a weekly shop for me is around £150 at Tesco and at Aldi that would cost me.... £30. + £10 more in fuel = £40. £110 saving per week...

Yeah right... Have been in Aldi and Lidl many times to go and pick up items they have on weekly special and always have a quick look around and the prices aren't that amazing. Most things are slightly cheaper than the equivalent Smartprice/Tesco value items, but the quality is also lower.

Soldato
I'm a big Waitrose fan - I honestly believe the food is noticeably better quality than other supermarkets - but it is a noticeable premium to shop there. That said, free coffee and no armies of children running round screaming makes the trips absolute bliss. If that is snobbery, I don't really know why, its just a more pleasant experience.

We're just in the process of moving to Wiltshire, and the town we are moving to has lots of independent shops, notably a a greengrocer and a butcher both supplied by local produce, and also a weekly town market.

The plan is to try and use these as, in my experience, regular customers are always looked after. I also like the idea of getting seasonal foods that are local. We'll be growing some fruit & veg in our garden, and our chickens give us a regular supply of superb eggs.

Maybe all that makes me a moron/stupid because I'd prefer to buy my spring onions from Geoffrey the local farmer at 80p a bunch over Lidl/Aldi's 35p from somewhere bunch.... but I like supporting the local community. It helps them make a profit, which in turn means money is brought into the area, makes it nicer, rinse repeat. In my head at least :)

With all the fun and games last year over food chain madness on meat, I'd have thought others would be more into this too.... ?

Back
Top Bottom