AOC G2460PF

Associate
I tried the Hagerdoom hack at one point- although it didn't work for me on the original AOC driver. That's all I can say.
But this is the first I've seen about 'overides'. You may be correct, but I 'updated' the driver as described - and as it's 'supposed' to work.
I did, however, 'move' the previous drivers to try and ensure Windows couldn't use them regardless.
Have you tried my procedure (unticking 'compatible hardware' and making sure you've turned off digital signing in the reboot immediately before the install)?

I have to say things generally, at my end, seem rather inconsistent and unreliable - how much of it is specific to my hard- and software I can't say.

Windows 10 seems to be trying to update this morning - so I'm sure that'll Bork things if nothing else does!

I should add that what you say about the Windmill test bears out what I was saying last night about my 270 performance - I said I was getting the v-sync look down to 40fps - and, yep, the Windmill test (which I did again this morning) let's me choose 45fps.
Using the 'test signal' (which I find more useful than the windmill animation) things get more confusing really - with 'v-sync' on, the bar is pretty smooth (although not quite as good as using freesync with my 290), but clearly tears with v-sync off... which was not at all my experience in- game, as described.
The point being that I've got v-sync turned off in both the games I've mentioned ... 'you couldn't make it up' ... and, honestly, I'm not...

quite a mix-up!

As such, I think maybe I'm not helping in the general scheme of things - I'm seeing what I"m seeing, but none of it makes much sense.
I will re-install my 290 at some point today, and see how I get on with freesync off there too (in this case, actually turning it 'off' in catalyst control), I think...

after doing some reading, i believe the hack did work, but not on the first reboot and i believe it might still be in play(edid override can be applied, you can then update the driver and the edid override will still be active).
in order to test if this is the case, what you would need to do is, go into device manager and uninstall the monitor driver(checking the box to delete the driver to),
it should then reinstall an older driver(repeat the above)
and do this until it no longer finds any more drivers other than standard pnp monitor.
alternatively use the following guide: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/remove-old-drivers-after-upgrading-to-new-hardware/
clear the driver store using this:https://driverstoreexplorer.codeplex.com/
click 'enumerate'
sort by name and only select 'aoc' entry's for your monitor. touching other drivers could mess up your system.
select 'force deletion' and click 'delete package'.
once done, restart your machine. now restart again disabling driver signing with the usual f7 method.
install the new driver in the way that you mentioned earlier.
reboot normally twice.
try the windmill demo and see what options it gives you.

the above could also explain why your gpu and monitor are acting oddly.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sorry to go against the current flow of the thread a bit, but the drivers are currently undergoing WHQL certification. When this is complete, WHQL certified drivers will be added to the AOC website (and my review).

Associate
after doing some reading, i believe the hack did work, but not on the first reboot and i believe it might still be in play(edid override can be applied, you can then update the driver and the edid override will still be active).
in order to test if this is the case, what you would need to do is, go into device manager and uninstall the monitor driver(checking the box to delete the driver to),
it should then reinstall an older driver(repeat the above)
and do this until it no longer finds any more drivers other than standard pnp monitor.
alternatively use the following guide: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/remove-old-drivers-after-upgrading-to-new-hardware/
clear the driver store using this:https://driverstoreexplorer.codeplex.com/
click 'enumerate'
sort by name and only select 'aoc' entry's for your monitor. touching other drivers could mess up your system.
select 'force deletion' and click 'delete package'.
once done, restart your machine. now restart again disabling driver signing with the usual f7 method.
install the new driver in the way that you mentioned earlier.
reboot normally twice.
try the windmill demo and see what options it gives you.

the above could also explain why your gpu and monitor are acting oddly.

tbh, Henson, things are so confused at my end (at least) with yet further 'developments' today, I think it's best to forget my blatherings - thanks for your notes, however, that's probably something I should (try and) do anyway.

One thing I should clarify, is that I wasn't able to successfully 'save' a hacked driver using the Hagerdoom method - so didn't try and install such.
If what you're saying holds anyway, do please clarify.

I think it's best that folks wait for the certified driver PCM2 mentions, and leave it at that.

I will say, however, that the 'flashing' and 'flickering' I've mentioned in certain conditions in Morrowind, which wasn't present using my 270 at 144hz non-freesync, is also absent with a re-installed 290 in the same circumstances (i.e. I've turned off 'freesync in CC).

So think the card may be ok after all, and it's more to do with freesyncing at 144hz with this particular monitor model.
Dunno - feel free to disregard this too (seeing as no-one else has experienced it apparently).

But: what none of the theorising and testing above explains is my 270's performance given it's supposed inability to apply freesync.
In fact, it's even stranger than that: as mentioned above I've just tried both cards at 144hz, no-freesync and no Vertical sync, and ... in Morrowind the 270 gave better performance in that there was no tearing, whereas there was some (enough to be distracting) with the 290 ...

Last edited:
Associate
tbh, Henson, things are so confused at my end (at least) with yet further 'developments' today, I think it's best to forget my blatherings - thanks for your notes, however, that's probably something I should (try and) do anyway.

One thing I should clarify, is that I wasn't able to successfully 'save' a hacked driver using the Hagerdoom method - so didn't try and install such.
If what you're saying holds anyway, do please clarify.

I think it's best that folks wait for the certified driver PCM2 mentions, and leave it at that.

I will say, however, that the 'flashing' and 'flickering' I've mentioned in certain conditions in Morrowind, which wasn't present using my 270 at 144hz non-freesync, is also absent with a re-installed 290 in the same circumstances (i.e. I've turned off 'freesync in CC).

So think the card may be ok after all, and it's more to do with freesyncing at 144hz with this particular monitor model.
Dunno - feel free to disregard this too (seeing as no-one else has experienced it apparently).

no if you didn't save the driver, then it will not be that as you have to install it at least. lets wait and see what the signed driver does.

Associate
Sorry to go against the current flow of the thread a bit, but the drivers are currently undergoing WHQL certification. When this is complete, WHQL certified drivers will be added to the AOC website (and my review).

although, if Henson and coerupted are correct said driver still has the 48hz floor? Or will the process of attaining WHQL include correcting this ... ?

Soldato
although, if Henson and coerupted are correct said driver still has the 48hz floor? Or will the process of attaining WHQL include correcting this ... ?

Presumably. Although I've looked at the driver and it should work down to 35Hz based on what they've coded into it. So I don't know what is going on there. :confused:

Associate
This color profile adding is so confusing even after I followed the guide in PCMONITORS... I got my monitor today and I tried to do the ICC profile thingy which seems to be complicated for not that tech savy person and then I also tried to install the new drivers and failed horrible.. Does any one wanna help out?

Soldato
This color profile adding is so confusing even after I followed the guide in PCMONITORS... I got my monitor today and I tried to do the ICC profile thingy which seems to be complicated for not that tech savy person and then I also tried to install the new drivers and failed horrible.. Does any one wanna help out?

I'd wait for the official driver if I were you. As for the ICC profile, if you followed the step by step instructions on my website I can't really see how you could go wrong. Which bit/step in particular were you stuck with? :confused:

Associate
I'd wait for the official driver if I were you. As for the ICC profile, if you followed the step by step instructions on my website I can't really see how you could go wrong. Which bit/step in particular were you stuck with? :confused:

I looked again and I managed to put in on. The monitor turned into yellowish, then I changed gamma to gamma3 and it was quite bright white. Now I did all the colors changes in the guide and my monitor looks redish... What could be the issue?

Soldato
I looked again and I managed to put in on. The monitor turned into yellowish, then I changed gamma to gamma3 and it was quite bright white. Now I did all the colors changes in the guide and my monitor looks redish... What could be the issue?

A red channel that is too strong by the sounds of it. Try reducing that a bit in the monitor OSD. You might also need to reduce green slightly if you start to see a green tint after doing that. But are you saying that the monitor appears reddish with the ICC profile applied but yellowish without (but the exact same OSD settings)?

Associate
A red channel that is too strong by the sounds of it. Try reducing that a bit in the monitor OSD. You might also need to reduce green slightly if you start to see a green tint after doing that. But are you saying that the monitor appears reddish with the ICC profile applied but yellowish without (but the exact same OSD settings)?

What I mean when I put the ICC profile, it looked yellowish, I changed to gamma3 and it looked fine and then after that I put the R,G,B on the values recommended on the guide and it turned in to redish. Now I have everything at 100 and it looks little yellowish

Currently I switched to the normal settings from the monitor settings, it looks ok, but even my 720p tn laptop screen has better colors.

Last edited:
Soldato
What I mean when I put the ICC profile, it looked yellowish, I changed to gamma3 and it looked fine and then after that I put the R,G,B on the values recommended on the guide and it turned in to redish. Now I have everything at 100 and it looks little yellowish

Currently I switched to the normal settings from the monitor settings, it looks ok, but even my 720p tn laptop screen has better colors.

The review did not involve any changes to the colour channels. They were left at user mode defaults.

Associate
The review did not involve any changes to the colour channels. They were left at user mode defaults.

Well I guess I messed up somewhere? When I put the ICC profile the color changed on my screen and everytime I boot up the PC the color changed after few seconds into booting... Is there anyways I can do clean install of the profile? I might sounds like a retard, but I think I just need sleep as I haver been up for like 24 hours and barely slept before it.. So I think I am tired and I am gonna try again after sleeping

Soldato
Well I guess I messed up somewhere? When I put the ICC profile the color changed on my screen and everytime I boot up the PC the color changed after few seconds into booting... Is there anyways I can do clean install of the profile? I might sounds like a retard, but I think I just need sleep as I haver been up for like 24 hours and barely slept before it.. So I think I am tired and I am gonna try again after sleeping

Don't worry about it. Each individual unit is different so you might need to make some different tweaks to the colour channels. Try experimenting tomorrow. :)

Associate
Don't worry about it. Each individual unit is different so you might need to make some different tweaks to the colour channels. Try experimenting tomorrow. :)

I think I am pretty happy with my colors now after some tweaking. Looks fine..

One thing still bothers me that in some sites the colors come in waves.. Same thing which happens in my old cheap tv from 2009. For example when I look at the https://pcmonitors.info/ Black bars in the site... I got the "waves" away with shadow calibration, but if it's higher than 50 it looks too bright the screen and below 50 too dark, so dunno what to do...

with the colors coming in waves I guess something like this could serve as an example

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/contrast.php

I am having hard time describing this as don't know what's it called.

Associate
Banding? There's no way around that, all monitors using that panel exhibit it.

Yes banding is the word for it.. So it's typical for monitors? My old LCD TV has lots of it, but I have never really noticed it with newer Tv's.

I need some help again, sorry. My freesync demo runs max 60fps when I use it and the screen tears into multiple pieces when I try run games at 144HZ... So what could be an issue? Also extra question... My screen looks little bit yellowish, it doesn't bother me that much, but what colors should I change to turn it into white/neutral.

Last edited:
Associate
Bit of a odd question but I have noticed on google shopping yesterday that the number of retailers selling this in stock has gone up nicely (Amazon still not in stock). I have even got mine on a big name retailers site for £190 just last night (suspicous its the old model as nearly everywhere else is selling it for £210+). However know I am wondering if I ordered to soon to avoid one of the first units that had overdrive disabled? Anybody know if AOC have already started selling the monitor with the overdrive fixed, any recent buyers?

Last edited:
Associate
I got messy looking monitor fixed on 144hz... Now for my last noob question hopefully. Is there anyway to know that freesync is working as in the monitor settings I don't see an option to turn it on or off and the freesync demo for me works at only 60FPS still only for some reason.

I would be super thankful if someone could answer this and so far I have been grateful for all the answers and help.

Back
Top Bottom