AOC G2460PF

Associate
never mind PCM2 clarified :) so basicly my test earlier was useless as it wasnt using freeync..

edit: it does however appear to be working in the witcher 3 at 30fps. it is also displayed in the osd when enabled and fullscreen mode selected.

Last edited:
Soldato
never mind PCM2 clarified :) so basicly my test earlier was useless as it wasnt using freeync..

edit: it does however appear to be working in the witcher 3 at 30fps. it is also displayed in the osd when enabled and fullscreen mode selected.

I can also confirm that FreeSync does work as low as 30Hz/fps as promised by AOC. So that is a plus!

Associate
Actually that is an excellent point Liam. FreeSync only works in exclusive fullscreen mode. It does not work in borderless windowed mode or any other sort of window. So there goes the ease of applying ICC profiles. :rolleyes: I might need you guys to do some little tests for me to work out which titles will actually use the ICC profile gamma correction in exclusive fullscreen mode.

i am happy to do any required testing.

Soldato
i am happy to do any required testing.

Alright, that's great. If you and anybody else who owns the monitor could test out an ICC profile for me which I'll put up later tonight that will be great. I am curious to know which game titles it does and doesn't change the appearance of. I'm also interested to know what sort of difference it makes to the richness of colours on other units and whether there are any obvious issues with colour balance etc. (inter-unit variation and all that). :)

Soldato
well i can tell you straight off profiles do not work with the witcher 3, in an attempt to better understand the profiles, i tried a windows calibration which gets disabled on starting that game. i am still willing to try others and will await your profile.

i also had an aoc profile downloaded from here: http://aoc-europe.com/en/products/g2460pf

The AOC profile is just used as a 'reset' to clear any other ICC profiles you have activated. It is the same as the Windows defaults.

Soldato
Mine should arrive tomorrow and I will be happy to help out.

Will need to read up on how ICC work, I've never used them before. I have done a little testing this evening on different games I own. Paying close attention to image quality and tearing so will compare tomorrow

Soldato
Yes, although there will be some flexibility regarding brightness and colour channels. The gamma mode and not changing anything else would be important. I know this is inconvenient if you've messed around and found your own settings, just be sure to make a note of those ;). I'll probably get this profile up tomorrow rather than tonight, that'll also let Finners help out which is cool. :)

In the meantime there's an article of mine which should help regarding applying the profile correctly. You can read it in advance if you fancy (it's called "Using ICC Profiles in Windows"). You can just google 'Using ICC profiles' and it should be the first result.

Soldato
Thanks for posting your initial findings PCM. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see if there are any interesting developments, but looks like my search for a new screen continues.

Somebody please make a decent 24" FreeSync screen. :(

Associate
Yes, although there will be some flexibility regarding brightness and colour channels. The gamma mode and not changing anything else would be important. I know this is inconvenient if you've messed around and found your own settings, just be sure to make a note of those ;). I'll probably get this profile up tomorrow rather than tonight, that'll also let Finners help out which is cool. :)

In the meantime there's an article of mine which should help regarding applying the profile correctly. You can read it in advance if you fancy (it's called "Using ICC Profiles in Windows"). You can just google 'Using ICC profiles' and it should be the first result.

that is absolutely fine i can change them as i have already noted them down. i have also read your article yesterday and have followed the steps successfully however have the link stored. thanks again for all the assistance so far, it is much appreciated. :)

Associate
After more testing these are my findings, and by the way i'm a real amature when it comes to monitors.

By setting 120hz my 290x enters low power state, this does not work with more than one monitor connected to gpu.

Alien isolation (fullscreen mode freesync enabled) alt tab in game causes corruption/distortion ingame and desktop, after continued alt tabing will eventually go back to normal. Sometimes curruption will appear at launch of game or appear randomly ingame.

Alien isolation (fullscreen freesync disabled) alt tab causes black screen and loss of signal.

AMD freesyc windmill test (freesync on, monitor set to 144hz) imo a fair amount of ghosting as overdrive is off (greyed out)

AMD freesyc windmill test (freesync on, monitor set to 60hz) overdrive set to medium, imo minimal ghosting.

I have done a fresh install so need to download more games to test. If anyone with this monitor has Alien isolation can you see what the dark/black areas in game look like? on mine it looks blocky/pixelated.

Associate
After more testing these are my findings, and by the way i'm a real amature when it comes to monitors.

By setting 120hz my 290x enters low power state, this does not work with more than one monitor connected to gpu.

Alien isolation (fullscreen mode freesync enabled) alt tab in game causes corruption/distortion in game and desktop, after continued alt tabing will eventually go back to normal. Sometimes corruption will appear at launch of game or appear randomly in game.

Alien isolation (fullscreen freesync disabled) alt tab causes black screen and loss of signal.

AMD freesyc windmill test (freesync on, monitor set to 144hz) imo a fair amount of ghosting as overdrive is off (greyed out)

AMD freesyc windmill test (freesync on, monitor set to 60hz) overdrive set to medium, imo minimal ghosting.

I have done a fresh install so need to download more games to test. If anyone with this monitor has Alien isolation can you see what the dark/black areas in game look like? on mine it looks blocky/pixelated.

i have tested alien isolation for you, freesync enabled and fullscreen in game. no corruption when alt tabbing, however the monitor looses signal for a moment and then presents the desktop. when alt tabbing again the game is then displaying fine. i tested this a few times.
in regards to the darker areas, i can also confirm that these appear blocky/pixelated.
D70743D24219E5639C72184C0C6DB2BFE43D1B6A

Associate
i have tested alien isolation for you, freesync enabled and fullscreen in game. no corruption when alt tabbing, however the monitor looses signal for a moment and then presents the desktop. when alt tabbing again the game is then displaying fine. i tested this a few times.
in regards to the darker areas, i can also confirm that these appear blocky/pixelated.

Ok thanks for that, i'm useing windows 10 like most i suppose.

Associate

Ok thanks for that, i'm useing windows 10 like most i suppose.

no problem, windows 10 pro here also.

Soldato
A little background:

Well I have done some further testing and calibration and have made some interesting discoveries. The gamma isn't actually as bad as you might think, if you're aiming for '2.2' tracking centrally. In fact, on my unit at least, applying an ICC profile designed to provide strong '2.2' tracking and good accurate colours centrally made relatively subtle changes compared to what you might expect. My unit actually averages 2.1 at 144Hz, 0 brightness and 'Gamma3'.

This monitor does seem to have a brightness control issue, as even at '0 brightness' it is just over 160 cd/m2 which some users would simply find too bright.

Some testing (helping PCM2):

What I have done is create 2 ICC profiles for you to try. Refer to the "Using ICC Profiles in Windows" article for advice on correct installation. The first profile aims for a central average tracking the standard '2.2' curve and the second the '2.4' curve. Given the viewing angle restrictions of the panel, the perceived gamma is actually significantly lower than this towards the bottom of the screen and somewhat higher towards the top. I tend to find people prefer slightly higher than 2.2 central average gamma on 24" or larger TN panels.

The following settings were used to create the profile (yup - the white point of my unit required little if any adjustment really):

Brightness = 0
Gamma= Gamma3
Color Temp. = User
R= 50
G= 50
B= 47

Everything else at default, 144Hz.

Updated ICC profile in review

If you could observe the following that would be great:

A) Look at some familiar images on the internet or some wallpapers. Simply get in with your other usual desktop tasks. Compare the two profiles with the 'non ICC' state using the same settings above.

B) Try some games and see which actually use the profile when running 'Fullscreen' and also using FreeSync.

I appreciate your help with this as I'm trying to determine the best and fairest way to test the monitor in the review. :)

Edit: I've tested a few games and most respected the ICC profile's gamma. Warframe did not - but GTA V, BF4 and Dirt Rally did. I wanted to test ESO as well but there is a massive 5GB+ patch to download first. Typical.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom