AOC G2460PF

Associate
Played Crysis original with vsr enabled 1440p, fullscreen and no vsync. Getting 42 - 65ish fps. Below 50 fps was obvious screen tearing, so that settles the lower freesync range for me.
The gamma issue PCM2 describes above is a real issue for me, played 12 hours of Alien isolation and the dark areas all look blocky/pixelated, spoils the game for me really.
Just need to decide if to send this monitor back now.
And thank you to PCM2 for the profiles as it made a big improvement.

Associate
so it appears the range is 48 - 146hz.. i took this screenshot of the range
file.html

Last edited:
Associate
That is the vertical scan range for static refresh rates. FreeSync doesn't necessarily follow them, although in this case it seems to come close (50-144Hz).

looking at the guru3d page, he seems to indicate that this is the line for the freesync range? maybe he is mistaken

edit: there is a page here about it to http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1872620

Last edited:
Soldato
Sorry, yes you're right. And I have observed FreeSync working as it should at 48fps and 146fps (according to various frame rate counters). So the range is indeed 48 - 146Hz. Haven't tried overclocking the thing yet to see if FreeSync works beyond 146Hz at all.

Edit: Well overclocking to 150Hz with standard timing gave artifacts, and I was unable to achieve the fabled '160Hz' with or without timing adjustments as the monitor simply said 'input not support'. This is certainly a monitor of false promises! :D

As I have seen people referencing this thread elsewhere with respect to the fact that the FreeSync range was not as originally stated. I'd like to clarify that I was not the originator of this misinformation, but rather it was an internal misunderstanding which elements of AOC (including PR people, product managers and other representatives) circulated. I simply passed on what I was told and did not make any false assumptions or fabricate this information. It is apparent from testing that the FreeSync range is 48 - 146Hz without any modifications to the monitor. Anything else stated to the contrary is incorrect. An updated driver should allow a 35Hz minimum, however.

Last edited:
Associate
Sorry, yes you're right. And I have observed FreeSync working as it should at 48fps and 146fps (according to various frame rate counters). So the range is indeed 48 - 146Hz. Haven't tried overclocking the thing yet to see if FreeSync works beyond 146Hz at all.

would be interesting to see if the range can be lowered and if so by how far.

Associate
So, since this monitor has proven disappointing, or at least mis-advertised, what are the alternatives?

I was instantly attached to the high refresh rate, especially in BF4 where I can consistently get ~120FPS, it looks very nice. Definitely smoother than the 60FPS I would usually see.

Are there any more 24" 1080p/1440p FreeSync monitors coming out soon?

Associate

Edit: Well overclocking to 150Hz with standard timing gave artifacts, and I was unable to achieve the fabled '160Hz' with or without timing adjustments as the monitor simply said 'input not support'. This is certainly a monitor of false promises! :D

how did you overclock it? using the method from guru 3D?

Associate
I'm talking about static refresh rate overclocking, not modifying the FreeSync range. Using CRU and Custom Resolutions (AMD and Nvidia respectively).

ah ok. didn't they say that you can only overclock it with freesync. like gsync taking certain screens to 160hz?

so freesync goes to 146hz but if you oc the freesync range to 160, that also takes the refresh up?

Soldato
ah ok. didn't they say that you can only overclock it with freesync. like gsync taking certain screens to 160hz?

so freesync goes to 146hz but if you oc the freesync range to 160, that also takes the refresh up?

No, they never said that specifically. FreeSync is not like G-SYNC. If the monitor does not support a static refresh rate then I don't see how it could be supported when using FreeSync either.

Associate
ive been doing some further testing, when freesync is enable and set to 144hz in the osd freesync is specified under vertical and the the horizontal refresh is 158hz. is that what they mean by 160hz? does freesync only apply to the vertical then, horizontal or both?
or am i completely misunderstanding it

Soldato
ive been doing some further testing, when freesync is enable and set to 144hz in the osd freesync is specified under vertical and the the horizontal refresh is 158hz. is that what they mean by 160hz? does freesync only apply to the vertical then, horizontal or both?
or am i completely misunderstanding it

That's 158kHz. You can't set the horizontal refresh rate, it is simply determined by whatever the vertical refresh is set to. It is clear that AOC have had misunderstanding after misunderstanding with this monitor, unfortunately. I suspect the lovely guys I talk to (PR, product managers etc.) aren't to blame but rather the engineers over at TPV not delivering what they were supposed to. I still think there is a lot of enjoyment to be had from this monitor. It certainly takes some TLC (as the ICC profile shows) and it would be nice if the overdrive option is rectified, but at the end of the day it's £200 and provides a slick experience over a decent range of refresh rates with FreeSync.

Associate
That's 158kHz. You can't set the horizontal refresh rate, it is simply determined by whatever the vertical refresh is set to. It is clear that AOC have had misunderstanding after misunderstanding with this monitor, unfortunately. I suspect the lovely guys I talk to (PR, product managers etc.) aren't to blame but rather the engineers over at TPV not delivering what they were supposed to. I still think there is a lot of enjoyment to be had from this monitor. It certainly takes some TLC (as the ICC profile shows) and it would be nice if the overdrive option is rectified, but at the end of the day it's £200 and provides a slick experience over a decent range of refresh rates with FreeSync.

thank you for explaining.

Associate
Well this is very disappointing. Based on the specs this monitor checked all the boxes. Freesync only working from 48hz is a dealbreaker though. Any chance you could confirm with AOC that this really is the intended behavior PCM?
Thanks for all the info you guys have given in this thread.

It looks like this is the only 1080p 24" monitor that has everything atm:
http://www.nixeus.com/?product=nixeus-vue-24#tab-specification

Unfortunately Nixeus doesn't have a EU distributor...

Soldato
Well this is very disappointing. Based on the specs this monitor checked all the boxes. Freesync only working from 48hz is a dealbreaker though. Any chance you could confirm with AOC that this really is the intended behavior PCM?
Thanks for all the info you guys have given in this thread.

It looks like this is the only 1080p 24" monitor that has everything atm:
http://www.nixeus.com/?product=nixeus-vue-24#tab-specification

Unfortunately Nixeus doesn't have a EU distributor...

That might well use the same panel the the AOC does, PCM mentioned that the panel in the AOC has been around a while and all monitors that use it suffer from the same poor image quality

PCM might be able to confirm that.

Mine is currently back in its box and ready to return unless the rep makes an appearance in here or AOC get back to my support ticket. Freesync is great but with the high minimum range plus drop in image quality from my current monitor, I'm struggling to justify the £200

Associate
This may seem like a stupid question pcm, however I am going to ask anyway.. If your pushing 150fps and freesync is running, why would the static rate matter? As it's adaptive, the static would be overwritten wouldn't it? a 60hz screen doesnt stop rendering at 70fps, it simply tears, so surely at 70 with freesync running the tearing would stop as freesync matches the the gpu to the display, which Is why we are finally seeing 144hz ips screens?
If the above is true, would you not better off overclocking the freesync range than the static?(as long as the monitor can cope of course).

Edit: nevermind it seems freesync only matches the refresh and does not control it. So you would need to overcloxk the panel.

Last edited:
Associate
That might well use the same panel the the AOC does, PCM mentioned that the panel in the AOC has been around a while and all monitors that use it suffer from the same poor image quality

PCM might be able to confirm that.

Mine is currently back in its box and ready to return unless the rep makes an appearance in here or AOC get back to my support ticket. Freesync is great but with the high minimum range plus drop in image quality from my current monitor, I'm struggling to justify the £200

Maybe even the same wrongly quoted range for all we know...

Back
Top Bottom