Arrival (2016).

Soldato
Why is it only her that has this time "travelling" ability after learning the aliens language when plenty of other people learnt the aliens non linear time language? She had innate dormant psychic abilities already?

Based on the original story, the aliens have two languages. The spoken language is linear and fairly straightforward. The written language is completely different, and encompasses time in a non-linear way. Learning this language rewrites her mind to perceive time in a non-linear fashion.

Man of Honour
she's the only one, as no one else, not even the other countries understand the language, as shown with the whole weapon miss translation

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I really enjoyed it.

However I am getting rather tired of people always wanting to blow aliens up if they actually got here.... As if we could.

Soldato
I really enjoyed it.

However I am getting rather tired of people always wanting to blow aliens up if they actually got here.... As if we could.

But almost guaranteed that is what we would attempt to do.
With the "mad" world leaders, including our friend with access to "The Button" that would launch nuclear armageddon on the world, we would be preparing for war the second they arrived

Soldato
Agree boring, the rather contrived/pseudo-science postulated for communicating with the aliens;
Subsequently read the very complimentary imdb reviews, and wondered if I should re-watch it, thought interstellar was better and (while since i have seen it) Contact.
although is 2001 not the daddy of the gendre ?

Soldato
Watched this tonight.
As a father of a one year old child this movie ruined me..
Its better than Interstellar imo, I think this generally makes more sense and I personally love stuff that discusses time and what is 'real time' vs our made up version.

I wouldn't watch it again though, its just too depressing.

Associate
I watched this last night. Didn't have high hopes for it since I read the source story and thought it was pretty poor.

I loved this movie. Reminded me a lot of Contact, another intelligent scifi. Very emotional. It was a difficult watch at times, especially since my youngest girl, nearly four is also called Hannah.
a palindrome don't you know :)
One minor thing that bugged me...
The telephone call to General Shang and how she got the number. She didn't know she had called him but must have as she's at the party with him, which is when she got the number. A bit of a causality issue there. Which I suppose is to be expected when you start messing around with time!
The bit at the end...
When she said even though she knows what going to happen to her daughter she wouldn't change the time she spent with her before that (can't remember the exact words).
I know I'm a big softy but that had me in tears.

A great movie!

Associate
Cineworld near me are showing an extended version on Monday night. Not sure if I could watch it again, I found it emotionally draining and don't want to be bawling in public, but I missed it at the cinema first time around. Shame it's on one of the smaller screens. Undecided!

Soldato
Cineworld near me are showing an extended version on Monday night. Not sure if I could watch it again, I found it emotionally draining and don't want to be bawling in public, but I missed it at the cinema first time around. Shame it's on one of the smaller screens. Undecided!

How extended is it? It worries me that we're getting an extended version so close to the initial release. I'm unsure if the extra footage would add or detract from the movie.

Back
Top Bottom