Arsene Wenger: Arsenal boss to leave club at end of season

Soldato
ummmm Mournho, pep and FERGY all won more then wenger.

Invincibles happened so long ago. good achievement but it aint the be all end all.

Doesnt excuse being poor for the last 10 years.
They were all managing bigger clubs though with better resources.

It'll be funny coming back to comments like 'poor for the last 10 years' when you turn into Everton and start yoyoing up and down the table. See how poor a string of 2nd, 3rd and 4th places seems then :p

Soldato
He wont do any worse then wenger though so why not lol!

Honestly you make it sound as if we just lost a pep or Mourinho. Wenger is nowhere near there league mate, his average and you would have to appoint someone thats below average to do worse off then wenger.

Nearly half the managers in the league are better then current Wenger.

You go on as if we wanted wenger gone after 1 season. Yet you fail to bash the likes of chelsea united's fanbase etc all wanting there previous managers gone after 2 defeats in a row...

How come its fine for chelsea and united fans to want there past managers gone after a few bad results yet if its arsenal wanting wenger gone after a 4-5 seasons of bad results where fickle and disrespectful?

Even LIVERPOOL fans once wanted KLOPPS head.... But NOOO its all good. ONLY arsenal fans can NOT ask for there manager to go without being labeled so so.

I am Arsenal fan, I also wanted Wenger out a couple of years back and my opinion hasn't really changed. I am glad we have a chance to freshen things up.

With that said we deserve some asshat like Rodgers for the behavior of some of our fans. Remember the protests "You're killing our club" - people forget how much Wenger did for Arsenal, yourself included. You act like he inherited a title challenging team, he really didn't. We had the George Graham bung years after the 91 triumph, we had Bruce Riochs poor tenure. I think we came 10th the season before Wenger joined.

I don't blame anybody for wanting a change, as I said I've been in favour of change, I think the man has run out of ideas - but I have a long memory, I remember the bleak times before Arsene, I remember the first 10 amazing years under him, I remember being oh so close in 2 European finals. I'm not going to make excuses as to what happened in the last 10 years, the wheels came off somewhere, but show the man some respect, he has earned that.

I'm unsure of your age, from your posting style you're probably not as old as I am, so perhaps that is why our viewpoints differ. You're entitled to yours, but its not one I will agree with.

Soldato
I don't blame anybody for wanting a change, as I said I've been in favour of change, I think the man has run out of ideas - but I have a long memory, I remember the bleak times before Arsene, I remember the first 10 amazing years under him, I remember being oh so close in 2 European finals. I'm not going to make excuses as to what happened in the last 10 years, the wheels came off somewhere, but show the man some respect, he has earned that.

This is the bit that so many of the entitled supporters seem to forget.

The 10 seasons before Wenger resulted in 4th, 6th, 1st, 4th, 1st, 4th, 10th, 4th, 12th, 5th. The last 12 years of Wengers tenure have just been a resumation of normal service in many respects but without the winning peaks or the big dips down to 10th or 12th. 4th/5th/6th was Arsenals natural place before Wenger turned up (go back another 10 years and the average finish is even lower) and went on a frankly astoundingly consistent run of 1st and 2nd places. That sort of performance can't carry on forever and to have kept them solidly in European football for so long is an achievement in itself. It certainly doesn't constitute 'poor', it's just isn't quite as good as the pinnacle of Arsenal's history that he delivered initially.

Caporegime
Fantastic servant to Arsenal, fantastic revolutionary for English football.

A couple of the teams he built over the years, were an absolute joy to watch.

Tragic to see how Arsenal fans have treated him more recently.

Will be interesting to see what happens to Arsenal now.

Caporegime
Are you talking about Liverpool fans as a whole or a single numpty on twitter? Liverpool fans did not want Klopp out.

There were 'famously' some Liverpool 'fans' on the 606 phone ins wanting Klopp out, gave reasons that left me scratching my head (Defensively not good enough, mainly phoned in after a defeat, knee jerk reactions from 'fans' but they were deemed worthy of BBC radio air time). I cannot understand why any Liverpool fan would want him to leave, he's been excellent and will continue to be.

Soldato
Lol so Wenger is going at end of the season. About time and long overdue.

Now let’s send him off with the eulolpa league trophy so he can end it on a high.

As much as I want him gone, I’ll miss him in a weird way. I mean he’s been there over 20yrs and was like part of the furniture lol. It will be weird not having him there managing but it’s for the best as we need a new direction now and I just feel he isn’t the man anymore.

Hopefully the board will have a decent world class manager to come in and hell no to Brendan Rodgers.

What do you mean new direction? Unless a new manager is given money to compete with city ecy what do you expect will happen with the same players?

Caporegime
I am Arsenal fan, I also wanted Wenger out a couple of years back and my opinion hasn't really changed. I am glad we have a chance to freshen things up.

With that said we deserve some asshat like Rodgers for the behavior of some of our fans. Remember the protests "You're killing our club" - people forget how much Wenger did for Arsenal, yourself included. You act like he inherited a title challenging team, he really didn't. We had the George Graham bung years after the 91 triumph, we had Bruce Riochs poor tenure. I think we came 10th the season before Wenger joined.

I'm unsure of your age, from your posting style you're probably not as old as I am, so perhaps that is why our viewpoints differ. You're entitled to yours, but its not one I will agree with.

Well said I’ve been supporting Arsenal since I was 10 yrs old, at my age that’s 35 yrs of supporting them. I remember the Graham bung saga then the Bruce Rioch before the professor came in.

Like yourself I wanted Wenger gone for the past few seasons, not because I hated him for dragging our team down but because I hated seeing his legacy being tarnished.

The fans that are celebrating his resignation like it’s a title win are the knuckle dragging idiots from AFTV.

I’m actually quite sad he’s decided to leave but also relieved he’s called it a day.

Now we need to look forward and start becoming a force like we were years ago.

I still don't think it's a coincidence that the biggest decline in Arsenal's fortunes started at the same time as David Dein left the club.

I’ve always said this but I’ve been ridiculed for saying it. When Dein left, that’s when things started declining. He was the guy that got us players like Henry, Bergkamp and Veira.

Not saying it’s all down to Dein leaving for us declining but it definitely contributed.

Caporegime
What do you mean new direction? Unless a new manager is given money to compete with city ecy what do you expect will happen with the same players?
No one is going to compete with City, and I never said we will or would unless a rich oil sheikh buys us out.

I’m talking about tactics, a few new players mainly defensive ones. I don’t expect us to start challenging for the title but at least start building towards being competitive again.

Soldato

Been supporting since George Graham days so I know what life was like before Wenger . Back then majority of times we won something or at least did our best performance wise most of the time .

Same cannot be said about Wenger and the last 5 odd years . Its like they can't be ****** when it's time to roll up your sleeves and deliver .

Soldato
Well said I’ve been supporting Arsenal since I was 10 yrs old, at my age that’s 35 yrs of supporting them. I remember the Graham bung saga then the Bruce Rioch before the professor came in.

Like yourself I wanted Wenger gone for the past few seasons, not because I hated him for dragging our team down but because I hated seeing his legacy being tarnished.

The fans that are celebrating his resignation like it’s a title win are the knuckle dragging idiots from AFTV.

I’m actually quite sad he’s decided to leave but also relieved he’s called it a day.

Now we need to look forward and start becoming a force like we were years ago.

I’ve always said this but I’ve been ridiculed for saying it. When Dein left, that’s when things started declining. He was the guy that got us players like Henry, Bergkamp and Veira.

Not saying it’s all down to Dein leaving for us declining but it definitely contributed.
Doesn't that just highlight more so that Wenger is average? Re about David Dein leaving

Soldato

They'll start showing some resemblance of organisation, having a clear idea of what their role is in a game, not being vulnerable to the same method of conceding that has worked for years, getting dropped if they keep performing badly rather than being given chance after chance? That'd be a start.

Back
Top Bottom