• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ASROCK 6900 XT NOW ONLY £689.99 (£649.99 FOR LOYAL FORUM MEMBERS)

Associate
Hi there, getting mine tomorrow, to replace my 5700xt, it`s paired with a 3700x for now until my wallet recovers.
my PSU is a super flower 750W 80 plus Gold, I hope it`s enough.

Associate
How fast do these run? Have they got much OC headroom? All the reviews I can find are for the "Fomula OC" which is the top end version.

Last edited:
Associate
just noticed this takes 3 x 8 pin

is this standard on the 6900 xt

got around 500 to spend but only got a 750w power supply as was looking at a 3060 12gb or just found a 3080 12 gb for 750

would this be a better buy and would i need a better power supply
Be aware the 3060 is in a completely different, MUCH lower performance category to the other 2 cards you mention. Of course, it should cost much less, although I'd argue that AMD has better cards in that price range than NVidia. Just make sure it's what you want if you get one.
The 308012GB & this 6900XT are much more comparable. You should check the manufacturer website & reviews for the specific model of card you're looking at. Power requirements can vary quite a bit between models compared to the own-brand cards by AMD & NVidia. Is your 750w power supply a good one ? And what CPU would you be pairing it with ?

Associate
Be aware the 3060 is in a completely different, MUCH lower performance category to the other 2 cards you mention. Of course, it should cost much less, although I'd argue that AMD has better cards in that price range than NVidia. Just make sure it's what you want if you get one.
The 308012GB & this 6900XT are much more comparable. You should check the manufacturer website & reviews for the specific model of card you're looking at. Power requirements can vary quite a bit between models compared to the own-brand cards by AMD & NVidia. Is your 750w power supply a good one ? And what CPU would you be pairing it with ?
thanks for the reply
power supply is a corsair HX 750W brand new I'm running a ryzen 5950x on an msi x570s ace max..
so I'm better spending a little more.. just read 3060 was good value but spending up to a 308012gb or this 6900xt would be a good step up.
So it this 6900xt at 649.00 good or am I better spending more for a 308012gb.
was just worried about 3x8 pin power. are most 3080's also 3 x 8 pin too
if so this card seems a good place for me to start

thanks

Associate
Having had a 3080, 3090 and 6900XT. I prefer the image quality of the 6900XT and it's very fast. I'd take that over a 3080 any day.
You know that (user prefs or monitor customization aside) the 'image quality' of both AMD and nvidia GPUs is identical right? People use these things for professional photo/video editing etc. If they weren't identical, one or the other would be useless for professional applications.

*Edit* incidentally, my own personal theory as to why this myth came about is that nvidia has (for as long as I can recall) used bilinear filtering to scale BIOS/boot screens on older PCs - AMD used nearest neighbour hence when you first turned on your PC the boot screen (only) looked blurry on nvidia cards and pin-sharp on AMD - but once you're in Windows there's zero difference.

Last edited:
Soldato
I didn't know anything about the myth TBH. It's my own personal experience using different GPUs on the same monitor to play the same game. I can improve the Nvidia image by using the sharpen filter but that comes with a performance penalty. I'm not saying I wouldn't want an Nvidia card ( still have a 3090 for vr) I'm just saying I prefer the AMD image.

Associate
I didn't know anything about the myth TBH. It's my own personal experience using different GPUs on the same monitor to play the same game. I can improve the Nvidia image by using the sharpen filter but that comes with a performance penalty. I'm not saying I wouldn't want an Nvidia card ( still have a 3090 for vr) I'm just saying I prefer the AMD image.
Hey - I don't want to lessen anyone's enjoyment of their hardware - I'm just stating that, logically, both nvidia and AMD have to produce the same image - there's standards for colour spaces (sRGB, Rec. 2020, DCI P-3 etc.) and software and hardware engineers on both teams dedicate a lot of effort towards ensuring what's generated by a PC (be it graphics, videos or games) is represented 100% to spec.

That doesn't mean that there can't be rendering differences in 3D games between nvidia and AMD but if there are, it's typically a bug, not a feature.

Last edited:
Associate
Its very tempting at this price. But i am a bit torn. Nice new gen (overpriced) gpu or fairly priced older gpu?????

Probably between this and 7900xtx, wont pay over 1K tho.

I have a 1080TI at the moment. :o)

Associate
Its very tempting at this price. But i am a bit torn. Nice new gen (overpriced) gpu or fairly priced older gpu?????

Probably between this and 7900xtx, wont pay over 1K tho.

I have a 1080TI at the moment. :o)

I've been sitting on a fence for a while, but finally, today unpacked and hooked up the 6900XT.

In case it helps you I can share what went into my decision.

The main concern I had with 6900XT - is Ray Tracing. 7900xtx is meant to be better, but looking at recently released benchmarks - it's not there yet. Without Ray Tracing - I doubt I'd see much practical difference in real life between both cards for my use (6900XT already being fast enough). The bundled-in games also sweetened the deal.

With this mindset, I didn't treat it as 'future proof purchase that I'm perfectly happy with. It's a compromise, and I'm happy enough. In a year or so I might trade up for 4080ti, or otherwise hope that the market will correct Nvidia prices.

Last edited:
Associate
Maybe time to get rid of the vega64. Hoping this will sort the ongoing issues with random game freezes and kicks to desktop or even pc resets. Did anyone else gets these issues? Here’s to hoping this sorts it :)

Associate
Maybe time to get rid of the vega64. Hoping this will sort the ongoing issues with random game freezes and kicks to desktop or even pc resets. Did anyone else gets these issues? Here’s to hoping this sorts it :)
Had them for years. Never narrowed it down to the Vega 64 but I'm hoping this 6900xt makes life a little easier. Maybe my 650w PSU wasn't sufficient but I picked up an 850w as well just in case.

Associate
Had them for years. Never narrowed it down to the Vega 64 but I'm hoping this 6900xt makes life a little easier. Maybe my 650w PSU wasn't sufficient but I picked up an 850w as well just in case.
Same I did upgrade my psu but problem still there. Hopefully we both become happier with our new beast.

Soldato
Hey - I don't want to lessen anyone's enjoyment of their hardware - I'm just stating that, logically, both nvidia and AMD have to produce the same image - there's standards for colour spaces (sRGB, Rec. 2020, DCI P-3 etc.) and software and hardware engineers on both teams dedicate a lot of effort towards ensuring what's generated by a PC (be it graphics, videos or games) is represented 100% to spec.

That doesn't mean that there can't be rendering differences in 3D games between nvidia and AMD but if there are, it's typically a bug, not a feature.
I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Associate
thanks for the reply
power supply is a corsair HX 750W brand new I'm running a ryzen 5950x on an msi x570s ace max..
so I'm better spending a little more.. just read 3060 was good value but spending up to a 308012gb or this 6900xt would be a good step up.
So it this 6900xt at 649.00 good or am I better spending more for a 308012gb.
was just worried about 3x8 pin power. are most 3080's also 3 x 8 pin too
if so this card seems a good place for me to start

thanks
AMD recommend an 850w for the standard model:
and Asrock recommend 900w for this model:

These recommendations tend to be very overkill, because they are accounting for the many cheapo crappy power supplies that can't actualy output their rated wattage.
Your 5950x doesn't have a particularly high power draw, they're very efficient. The HX 750w is a quality unit that I think can support 4 PCI-E cables, which suggests they think it is good for 3x PCI-E cable cards.
My brother actually runs his 6900xt on a 650w power supply. But that's crazy, would not recommend.

All of which is a long-winded way of saying I think it would be OK, but I'm not sure & it's not my money here.
The 3080 12GBs recommend 750w power supplies. All things being equal, I would prefer the 6900xt even at the same price, let alone £150 cheaper. But I'm not 100% on the power issue.

Back
Top Bottom