Assassin's Creed: Odyssey

Soldato
Do want to get this at some point but will wait due to RDR2 a few weeks away. The user reviews on Metacritic average around 5.5 where as AC origins was around 7.5.
Anyone know why this may be the case, is it maybe because its very similar to Origins?

Soldato
Do want to get this at some point but will wait due to RDR2 a few weeks away. The user reviews on Metacritic average around 5.5 where as AC origins was around 7.5.
Anyone know why this may be the case, is it maybe because its very similar to Origins?

It's fairly normal to see low scoring user reviews in a game with non-cosmetic microtransactions. I do wonder how much time (if any) some of them have actually spent playing the game.

Associate
I was blown away by Origins. Getting to visit the pyramids and the sphinx. Running around Alexandria, recreated at the height of its glory. It was stunning. After that? Oh look... more sand. I got bored pretty quickly, abandoning the game maybe a third of the way through?

Odyssey is a different beast. The cast of recognisable people and places is far greater. The Peloponnesian War provides a much more interesting backdrop than the story of Caesar and Cleopatra, and works as a distraction to the jarring AC sci-fi nonsense. The addition of naval combat and the development of the mercinary system help to vary the gameplay.

I've also grown to love those moments where an assassination goes completely wrong. You're perched above your target; the opportunity to strike has come. You hit the "assassinate" button, and realise (too late) that the attack won't kill the enemy. Suddenly you're fighting half a dozen soldiers, while the alarm is raised. More reinforcements appear, along with the two mercenaries who have been tracking you. One of the mercs is a couple of levels higher than you, has a pet bear, and throws fire grenades. Chaos ensues :D

THIS. Sums up AC: Odyssey.

Thankfully the auto saves are relatively forgiving but I always manually save before attempting to infiltrate a large encampment of Athenians/Spartans just incase of a Doh! moment where your aforementioned happens! :D:D:D

Soldato

This is basically down the fact it has microtransactions available to level up quicker , but to be honest up to now I've been ok and haven't got a wall where it turns into a grind yet, there is that much variation to what you can do you never seem to be just doing the same grinding thing... and as others have said sometimes you have a plan and it goes horribly wrong :D .... Plus there is loot so your constantly upgrading your gear and weapons, the loot system is close to Diablo 3 imo which is the best in any game , so addictive, makes you want to go back and explore caves etc and search every bit of an island before you move on

Soldato
I am absolutely rinsing AC: Origins - Cant believe I have never played an AC game before! :D

The map is so daunting, when I was in Siwa i thought that was huge! Jaw hit the floor when I saw the entire map - Is Odyssey even bigger? :eek:

Man of Honour
I am absolutely rinsing AC: Origins - Cant believe I have never played an AC game before! :D

The map is so daunting, when I was in Siwa i thought that was huge! Jaw hit the floor when I saw the entire map - Is Odyssey even bigger? :eek:

I remember the same thing. Map opens up and :eek:

Yes.... much bigger! :D:D

Shawrey

Although lots of it is water - not a bad thing, lots can happen on that water :)

Soldato
The map is six times the size of Skyrim, five times the size of The Witcher 3, four times the size of Breath of the Wild and three times the size of GTAV & AC Origins. It's roughly the same size as Black Flag, but with much more land (and, because of the map design, the sailing distance from Kefalonia in the West to Chios in the East, is much further).

The only open world games with larger maps are Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Ghost Recon Wildlands, and Just Cause 3.

So pretty big, yeah :D Athens alone is about the same size as Venice, Florence, and Rome from AC2, combined.

I'm now wondering where they go from here. The Punic Wars, featuring the whole of Italy plus the Western med coastlines and islands?

Last edited:
Soldato

I was in the same boat as you,never ever played one of these games until origins,I put 100 hours into the game (includes dlc) and have got the new one as well,I can see another 100 hours easy on this game as well.

Soldato
I didn’t shelve it in the end and stuck with it. I’m now level 32 and enjoying the game much more now. I have decent gear and have redone my skills to a better selection.

It’s a bit grindy at times but it’s never dull. Some of camps are repeated across the map but it’s an awesome game especially once you get up the levels.

Soldato
To say how big the world is so far I haven't found any areas that just feel flushed out , everything feels likely was put there for a reason , even under the water there is so much attention to detail that's gone into this

Soldato

To be fair Origin has a lot of empty or near empty zones, in the base game the sea zones are empty and the deserts are near empty so they faked it a bit.

Caporegime
I caved and ended up buying this, got the Gold edition from CD Keys as I quite fancy AC 3 remastered when they release it (I never played 3).

I loved Origins so looking forward to giving it a blast when it eventually downloads.

A few places I've seen online say stealth is improved in this, opinions?

Soldato
I caved and ended up buying this, got the Gold edition from CD Keys as I quite fancy AC 3 remastered when they release it (I never played 3).

I loved Origins so looking forward to giving it a blast when it eventually downloads.

A few places I've seen online say stealth is improved in this, opinions?
I don't do stealth....go in with all weapons blazing and then run :)

Back
Top Bottom