Assetto Corsa Competizione

Well, we're just gonna have to agree to disagree on that.
I know the guy and he has no sense of entitlement. You're projecting.

I've already provided enough to explain my point of view on this, so I won't rehash it.

Again, I respectfully disagree :)

Here's why: It wasn't an overtaking attempt or even a minor late braking divebomb. The only reason he got that close is because the two cars ahead were battling.
The Audi brakes at the 100m board, which is the normal point. The racing line is clear, as the Aston has gone wide due to the BMW overtaking on the inside.
Look at the pedal and steering inputs and tell me honestly how it could be seen as an aggressive move or how he should have had the clairvoyance to anticipate what the Aston did. If you could also explain why the Aston has zero responsibility here, I'd be interested to hear that too.

Whether or not it was an overtake or divebomb does not seem that relevant tbh as im not saying anyone should receive a penalty or that there was any intent. It's just that the car behind holds the most responsibility when overtaking.

Im fairly confident that the vast majority of people if forced to choose someone at fault would say the Audi... but that's only if someone put a gun to their head and said 'SOMEONE HAS TO BE AT FAULT... CHOOSE !'.

In truth it's just a minor racing incident that id get over within about a minute of it happening. There is no bad guy here :cool:

Last edited:
It is relevant IMO. It's only irrelevant if you want to dismiss the facts, which are: The normal braking point was used, the racing line and corner were open and no forced attempts were being made.
I understand the general principle of the car behind being responsible, however, I don't think that's the case here. If anything, you could easily argue that both cars had a part to play, but you can't put that solely on the following car simply because he was technically the one behind and that's the usual rule we go with.
So yeah, racing incident.

In my opinion, the Aston should've been more aware of what was going on around him before cutting back like that mid corner. He wouldn't have seen him in the mirror, but he should've in the radar.

Btw, this wasn't public lobby. It was part of a driver swap series.

Who would you blame for this and what would the penalty be - if any?

Car behind divebombed AND missed the apex by a two or even three meters. This small yet significant loss of control because of the divebomb = stonewall penalty. The outside car that has cut inside was ahead and gave space to the divebomber, but he understeered because of the divebomb :)
Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
Based on your postings im presuming this was some kind of league race and it was your team mate who did the move and you have been given a penalty of some sort for it hence you asking about what penalty you would give (if any). If so would you mind disclosing what penalty they gave ? I wouldn't say it's penalty worthy but then I don't know what the league rules are like.

Yeah, it was my team mate and a 15sec penalty.

lol @Borsch 'Divebomb' :cry: I've already shown you that it wasn't a divebomb and you're not supposed to ride the concrete on that corner, so I don't know what you're on about with 2-3 meters. Stop with the dramatisation :cry:

I wasn't the driver and I am aware of general racing rules and etiquette. FWIW, I've been a steward in several racing leagues over the years. Head steward in one (woo).

Your point is regarding an overtaking attempt, which this wasn't. The Audi was simply following the racing line, along with the BMW.
In addition to the pic I already posted, note the steering angle at the turn in point and there being way more than a car's width available on the racing line - which the Aston clearly wasn't on.

dftjftj.png

You say he should have had the foresight and awareness to know that the Aston was going to cut back into his path, but why shouldn't the Aston driver have had the awareness to notice that there was clearly a car there in the radar in the centre of his screen and simply followed the BMW? If he'd done that, he'd still have had the inside line going into the next corner.
Reminds me of the incident between hamilton and max in silvertsone in 2021.

You say he should have had the foresight and awareness to know that the Aston was going to cut back into his path, but why shouldn't the Aston driver have had the awareness to notice that there was clearly a car there in the radar in the centre of his screen and simply followed the BMW? If he'd done that, he'd still have had the inside line going into the next corner.

I believe his trajectory was already decided on and set. He'd gone wide to allow space for the overtake at corner entry. But the overtaking car had to hit an early apex which would compromise his exit, full throttle point for that exit and therefore exit speed for the following straight. He knew this and having gone wide went for the slightly later apex so as to get the jump on the overtaking car and hopefully pass on the next straight. He would have been aware of this option right at the point he was being overtaken approaching turn in (if he had any experience) and I believe he's made that decision at his point of turn in. And at the point he turns in the car behind was still over a car length behind.

It's quite clear he would have probably dragged past on the following straight (if the straight was long enough) So why should he just follow? He'd actually have to slow slightly if he did follow as he'd likely have a higher exit speed having been able to take that later apex.

He never got chance though as we saw.

Last edited:
He should still be trying to maximise his speed / position for the following turn. I don't think your teammate was malicious or entitled though. Just a misjudged error. The 15 sec penalty seems fair to me. A bit more than the amount of time it would have taken for the spun car to recover and get back up up to speed, assuming there wasn't a train of cars behind he had to stay still for while they passed. Although as you probably know, lots of spun cars (online) don't even bother to take care in that scenario :)

The Audi was simply following the racing line, along with the BMW.
In addition to the pic I already posted, note the steering angle at the turn in point and there being way more than a car's width available on the racing line - which the Aston clearly wasn't on.
Racing line is not a god given right ;) The car in front has priority with the choice of racing lines but should give space. The car behind must adapt and also give space. In your case, the inside car was behind and had space to avoid contact - on the inside, closer to the apex. But, becuase the inside car understeered from braking later=divebomb (which isn't illegal btw), the inside car was not able to take the apex and avoid the collision. Fully his fault and the penalty was just.

Last edited:
Look, man, I already showed you that it wasn't late braking. Nice theory though.

I learned a great lesson some years ago. When following a car into the braking zone, your braking point shouldn't be your normal point, your braking should start when the car ahead hits their braking point. You might lose a small amount of time, but unless you are going for a move, it almost guarantess you'll avoid mishaps with the car ahead.

You may get smashed into from behind though :) But then, that's the fault of the car behind....

And in other breaking news, water is wet.
That's sound general advice, but it doesn't apply here.

Anyway, you first said this:
Car behind was miles behind at turn-in

Now you're saying he was close enough to the cars ahead to need to brake earlier than normal.
Which is it? Because you can't have it both ways.

I'll say it again: The only reason he gained that ground is due to the car ahead being compromised by having to yield to the overtake from the BMW. And once again, there was no intention of trying to get past the Aston.
I fully understand the concept of mistakenly going for a gap that's always going to close by the time you get there. I've stewarded many of those and this is not one of those situations.

We can all Captain Hindsight the hell out of these incidents and say I'd have done this or that.
I'd refer you back to this driver's eye vid and remind you that the Audi was the only one close to making that corner properly (I will happily concede that he could have been tighter, though not on the kerb, as Borsch suggests), while the BMW went too deep and the Aston was so focussed on getting back at the BMW that he didn't realise there was another car there and cut across him in a slightly unnatural path - at which point, there was nothing anyone could do.

Racing incident - Both drivers could have done slightly better. No need for dramatisation.

Last edited:
And in other breaking news, water is wet.
That's sound general advice, but it doesn't apply here.

Anyway, you first said this:

Now you're saying he was close enough to the cars ahead to need to brake earlier than normal.
Which is it? Because you can't have it both ways.

I'll say it again: The only reason he gained that ground is due to the car ahead being compromised by having to yield to the overtake from the BMW. And once again, there was no intention of trying to get past the Aston.
I fully understand the concept of mistakenly going for a gap that's always going to close by the time you get there. I've stewarded many of those and this is not one of those situations.

We can all Captain Hindsight the hell out of these incidents and say I'd have done this or that.
I'd refer you back to this driver's eye vid and remind you that the Audi was the only one close to making that corner properly (I will happily concede that he could have been tighter, though not on the kerb, as Borsch suggests), while the BMW went too deep and the Aston was so focussed on getting back at the BMW that he didn't realise there was another car there and cut across him in a slightly unnatural path - at which point, there was nothing anyone could do.

Racing incident - Both drivers could have done slightly better. No need for dramatisation.

It's fine. You have your opinion and we agree to disagree. I won't change my view that the car behind was at fault.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom