• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Asus 7990 - £399.99 pre-order. Is this for real??

I am a bit confused here, if this represents the end of the 7990 and ASUS dumping whats left in the warehouse at a silly price, then what's if being replaced with? surely the is no possible way AMD could sell a dual R290 card as they drink more juice than a GTX690 by themselves. Does this mean that AMD are simply retiring the worlds fastest card with no replacement? are they planning a dual 270/280 card? or is it simply a case that now they have cards that can slap the 780 around they don't need the 7990 anymore so will just tell people who want that performance to go CF?

No not every card, plus a closed case and fans go a long way to help drown it out. A lot will also depend where your case is relative to you. Again, to the side of or under a desk is going to cut a lot of the noise out vs having the case sitting on the desk.

Im thinking about it, but I've really no clue what would the performance boost be if any over what I have currently, 6990+6970. :confused:

Suppose it would give my psu a break and possibly be quieter but its more the performance aspect that has me wondering, sidegrade possibly?

Eh?

Looking at 6970 crossfire vs 7970 crossfire from yonks ago the 7970's aren't massively in front though they are really old benchmarks, factor in 3 gpu's vs 2 and i'm guessing it would be a pointless sidegrade.

Eh?

Looking at 6970 crossfire vs 7970 crossfire from yonks ago the 7970's aren't massively in front though they are really old benchmarks, factor in 3 gpu's vs 2 and i'm guessing it would be a pointless sidegrade.

Eh?

These are unlikely to be on the latest drivers and are non-Ghz edition cards but still

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/515?vs=588

I think it would definitely be a performance improvement even going from your tri-fire setup.

I am a bit confused here, if this represents the end of the 7990 and ASUS dumping whats left in the warehouse at a silly price, then what's if being replaced with? surely the is no possible way AMD could sell a dual R290 card as they drink more juice than a GTX690 by themselves. Does this mean that AMD are simply retiring the worlds fastest card with no replacement? are they planning a dual 270/280 card? or is it simply a case that now they have cards that can slap the 780 around they don't need the 7990 anymore so will just tell people who want that performance to go CF?

it's only OCUK doing these kind of prices. look at other vendors, they are still standing around 550-650 mark. i think this is the case where OCUK managed to build up such momentum that they can afford to make less profit on each by selling loads.

Back
Top Bottom