ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition: The Ultimate LGA2011 Motherboard

I dont think so, as Linus said in the video that i linked, for benching and some applications then maybe but for gaming you actually get less performance the higher you speed goes. Listen to what he says as more latency is introduced the higher the ram speed. The link to guru3d just shows benchies, not games man. Its all about the games and the scores do not lie. 1600mhz is still the sweetspot. Then again we are talking milleseconds so no matter what you buy and use your not gonna notice it.

Dont kid yourself that your getting much faster speed for your money when ytou buy 2600mhz ram because basically your not, infact for gaming its a slight decrease in performance. DD4 will change all of this on Haswell E.

And Kaapstad OCUK sent you a used tower at the price of a brand new one? Thats disgusting, puts me off from buying anything from here if im honest.

Sure 8Pack said 2600 is the sweetspot on the BE with ivy-e and I'm sorry I'd rather listen to the uk's #1 overclocker than Linus. Why spend a grand on a mobo/CPU and then only get 1600 ram, you may as well just spen £150 on the mobo and be done.
I will only ever buy 1600 ram if it's PSC, which I did but unfortunately sold on :( and those pi's did 2450mhz @7-8-7-20-1T-96, this was on my rive/3930 (would love to try those sticks on the BE) and there was massive gains with those sticks.
Faster ram makes your system perform better and more efficient.

As for gaming I have always seen a slight increase, the ones your referring too are probably not tuned properly. No point having high speed and crap timings.

Last edited:
Also higher speed memory at the right timings should increase overall efficiency with a decent cpu clock.

Haven't watched the video (on phone) but what 2600 sticks was linus using? As if he was using mfr's then his testing would have been a complete dud from the off.

Agree with nick too, if you do go for 1600, make sure they're c6 psc & you should see 2400+ c7/8

Haven't watched the video (on phone) but what 2600 sticks was linus using? As if he was using mfr's then his testing would have been a complete dud from the off.

He was comparing 2600 @ C11 with 2133 C9..

Here's the gaming test in the link I pasted. Is there a big difference? No. However, there is one and it's certainly not 'worse'. It also depends greatly on the CPU type and how many channels it uses, see below.

Untitled-9.png

So roughly speaking +300hz nets you 3fps at that res in QC, so 1600-2400 you would see somewhere in the region of 7-8fps in far cry??? I'd say that's pretty damn good. Every bit helps when your trying to average 120fps in the demanding titles.

Edit: back on track, anyone got anymore pics of the BE all dressed up??? ;)

Sure 8Pack said 2600 is the sweetspot on the BE with ivy-e and I'm sorry I'd rather listen to the uk's #1 overclocker than Linus. Why spend a grand on a mobo/CPU and then only get 1600 ram, you may as well just spen £150 on the mobo and be done.
I will only ever buy 1600 ram if it's PSC, which I did but unfortunately sold on :( and those pi's did 2450mhz @7-8-7-20-1T-96, this was on my rive/3930 (would love to try those sticks on the BE) and there was massive gains with those sticks.
Faster ram makes your system perform better and more efficient.

As for gaming I have always seen a slight increase, the ones your referring too are probably not tuned properly. No point having high speed and crap timings.

What do you mean the PSC and PI's, what do they stand for in Ram?

psc is one kind of IC, pi I believe he means superpi

They are g skill pi's with psc IC's, originally intended for tri channel, but i had 6 sticks and used 4
IC's = samsung, hynix, PSC etc

Typical timings

Samsung 10-12-12-31
Hynix 9-11-10-28
PSC 6-8-6-20, these are incredibly rare now and if you ever see sticks with these timings, grab 'em

Haswell i believe prefer faster speeds, 2600+ c10
Sandybridge 2133+ and tight as you can go
I'm guessing ivy will like it somewhere inbetween.

My pi's :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom