Asus ROG Ally

Associate
It has a gyro - tech specs

So do I pre-order for a Mid-June delivery or try and get one via Currys and miss out further on Asus's deliveries?

Associate
With all the issues going on with ASUS regarding support and ****** practices and my own experiences around the B550-i 40 series issues, nope.

It has a good spec and definitely see its attractiveness but not dealing with ASUS. Same reason I wouldn't touch GPD, heard nothing but bad news regarding support for those that had to engage with them.

Associate
Where does this stand with suspend and resume? The Deck is awesome at simply pressing the power button then coming back 2 hours later and picking straight up from where I left off. Know if I try that on my Desktop it does not go well!

Soldato
Where does this stand with suspend and resume? The Deck is awesome at simply pressing the power button then coming back 2 hours later and picking straight up from where I left off. Know if I try that on my Desktop it does not go well!

It's running windows so my guess is suspend and resume is either non existent or very poor

Soldato
OP
Never tried this on deck although I don't play it frequently. Does it impact battery life?

Soldato
Windows has very poor power state management so without a lot of custom work, it's going to be hard to get the thing to sleep properly, whereas Linux and MacOS do it much better.

Associate
I'm sure I've seen on one of the many videos that if you plan on pausing play for more than a short while it is best to close your games properly and turn it off rather than leaving it sleep.

I'm tempted because new toy, but from what I've seen, in order to even get close the decks 720p performance at its native 1080p, you need to use the turbo mode which can result in under an hour's playtime on a full charge!

That and the Deck essentially curates settings for games so that they just work out of the box. I can't see a lot of games working on this without significant faffing about by the user.

Associate
So despite being absolutely dead set on one of these and first to put a pre-order in, I have now cancelled it and refunded.

Refund is quick and easy for anyone else interested and was done within 15 mins of my email.

I used to work in the industry so out of interest, reached out to some contacts I still speak to from my time within. I was pleased to hear one had an Ally and my former colleague popped by for about an hour or so for me to play.

Theres a few things that jumped out straight away. The UI needs love. Its pretty buggy but he told me they are pushing multiple updates a week to resolve. Apparently the initial aim was an immediate release after announcement, but has been pushed back for refinement of the software before shipping.

The big two for me though, which hopefully one is software, but one is 100% hardware.

1. Stick latency and delay. There is defo a strange disconnect from input to the sticks and what they do. At first I thought it was V-sync but it isn’t. I’m told this has improved greatly in the last few weeks, but it is still there.

2. The big one - sticking buttons.

In my hour of playing, I have had the X button get stuck 3 times as well as the Y button twice. I had to use a small flathead on the X button to pop it back up. The issue seems to be side to side play in the buttons rather than overall touch. It seems to snag the top cover on depressing the button.

Add to it the Saga of ASUS, warranties and shenanigans i have decided to now wait.

A look at more reviews today has confirmed at least 3 others getting buttons stuck, particularly the X button.

I think I’ll wait for the dust to settle before re-comitting.

So if you were on the delayed shipment list - you may have just been promoted!

I hope you all enjoy and the issues are rare enough its not an issue.

This was a production unit, not the production sample unit with the yellow sticker.

Back
Top Bottom