Asus ROG Ally

Man of Honour
I've only watched one video on the Ally on the Retro Dodo channel, but I'm pretty sure he mentioned sticking buttons in it.

GPD Win 4 is great, but I think I'd take the risk with the Ally's buttons over it. It does look like a great bit of hardware for the price.

One of my disappointments with GPD - they used to be good prices for the hardware, now the prices seem to have almost doubled on what they'd have charged before while not offering anything different other than maybe a bit better support - but even there they are still using the likes of Google drive and Mega, etc. to distribute files which doesn't give the best image.

Mine haven't let me down but there are some slight issues here and there with GPD devices especially if you are on the early batches where slight build quality issues can be apparent and always a slightly dodgy feel to the software/firmware support - for instance some of the devices the screen is orientation flipped in the BIOS if using the built in display due to using screens intended for other applications, etc.

Soldato
I'll be mostly using a gamepad so most of these issues don't bother me. They should be fixed though
With any first run there's always going to be build quality niggles that are going to get found out once a product is out in the wild, smart thing to do is wait until latter in the year and get a unit from a latter batch.

More concerning for me is when reviewed against the Steamdeck the ROG Ally loses in lower power modes despite having a the newer hardware built on a more advanced node. Even more reason to hold off and see if newer drivers fix the issue.

Caporegime
Yeh, I've pretty much decided I'm going to get a PC handheld, but will hold out for an OLED screen, and better battery life.

Might be waiting a while.

Since I have a Steam Deck, it would take a real upgrade and also a few years before getting another one. OLED is a must as you say.

All these other companies, since they don't make the software, will continue to pump out newer hardware every 6 months or so, so it won't be long until we will get there.

Soldato
Since I have a Steam Deck, it would take a real upgrade and also a few years before getting another one. OLED is a must as you say.

All these other companies, since they don't make the software, will continue to pump out newer hardware every 6 months or so, so it won't be long until we will get there.
Same boat. And while Windows is more compatible with games, there's a clear advantage in SteamOS where they can do what they want with the OS.

Valve also have more skin in the game and therefore are more committed.

Soldato
Same boat. And while Windows is more compatible with games, there's a clear advantage in SteamOS where they can do what they want with the OS.

Valve also have more skin in the game and therefore are more committed.
What you mean by more skin in game, MS & Windows with their huge push in gaming, xbox live and trying to buy studios means getting games into peoples hands more is also huge for them. Just because they are not pushing the ardware direct I wouldn't say they have any less skin in the game tbf.

Soldato
What you mean by more skin in game, MS & Windows with their huge push in gaming, xbox live and trying to buy studios means getting games into peoples hands more is also huge for them. Just because they are not pushing the ardware direct I wouldn't say they have any less skin in the game tbf.
More skin than Asus.

Valves motivation is to not have their entire company hanging on Microsofts word, which is reasonable given their direction with W11. If MS ever decided to forces Steam purchases through their store, or charge Valve some form of platform commission, it would damage their business.

Back
Top Bottom