Asus ROG Ally

Man of Honour
2. The big one - sticking buttons.

I've found this more than once in the past with Asus - very cheap button switches used in otherwise expensive products. Though to be fair they did a good job on the Eee but otherwise I've had very poor experiences with Asus.

Soldato
I've found this more than once in the past with Asus - very cheap button switches used in otherwise expensive products. Though to be fair they did a good job on the Eee but otherwise I've had very poor experiences with Asus.

The only Asus product I've ever bought was the first Nexus 7" tablet.

Only found after the event that they cheaped out on the memory they used, and it slowed down irreparably after a while, making the tablet unpleasant to use.

That put me off buying Asus ever since, and seeing the bad rep they have now, with multiple instances of poor manufacture (including the Ally, it seems) and customer service, I'm glad I did.

Soldato
So despite being absolutely dead set on one of these and first to put a pre-order in, I have now cancelled it and refunded.

Refund is quick and easy for anyone else interested and was done within 15 mins of my email.
I also decided to cancel my pre-order after watching lots of reviews.

Have you got your money back yet?

Associate
Being Asus, i assume there will be a "strix" version at some point, in black, with RGB and some marginal performance increase for another £250.

The steam deck is a much better device for me personally. I particularly like that i can get parts for it, and fix it if it goes wrong. As good a deal as the Ally seems to be, its still a reasonable outlay, id need a 5 year warranty, and even then i wouldnt be completely confident in Asus. If it died in a year and that was 700 quid gone, id be livid.

Soldato
The Ally is very good at emulation

God of War 3 using the RPCS3 emulator:

Valve SteamDeck: 15 to 25fps 720p
Asus ROG Ally: locked 60fps 1080p

Soldato
I've only watched one video on the Ally on the Retro Dodo channel, but I'm pretty sure he mentioned sticking buttons in it.

GPD Win 4 is great, but I think I'd take the risk with the Ally's buttons over it. It does look like a great bit of hardware for the price.

Associate
So why is everyone not onboard with this?
My hands on with a final production sample had issues with button sticking and the software needs to mature.

With the debacle going on with ASUS at the moment, I’m holding off for now and will stick with my modded Switch OLED for emulation as I have completely lost faith in their Warranty process. If i do order one again it will be through Currys or another vendor rather than ASUS themselves, once their is some maturity in the production.

Last edited:
Associate
I see ok thanks. Will hold out.
Shame because all the reviews seem pretty solid.
What is the issue with Asus at the moment exactly?
Their attitude and policy towards the X670 issues. Best thing to do will be to look at Gamers Nexus on Youtube. JayzTwoCents has also severed ties with them after some shady dealings, and if hes a YouTuber and hes getting shocking treatment - you nor I stand no chance.

Soldato
So why is everyone not onboard with this?

In no particular order:

No black option
Poor, as in really poor battery life
See above, not really a portable device, unless you bring along a powerpack
Reportedly poor software, needs a lot of work
Reports of sticking buttons
Reports of analogue stick latency
Known poor Asus customer service
Have personal experience of Asus using sub par hardware

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom