Asus ROG Ally

Caporegime
Perhaps I'm over simplifying, but the ROG Ally is an 8C versus the Decks 4C.

At the capped wattages, I've seen no one actually mention that, which logically to me can explain why the Steam Deck is way ahead as it's got more wattage for the GPU.

I'm convinced now that we need a major overhaul to Windows UI for these hand held devices. I'm also not convinced Asus will be able to make the device as easy to use as the Steam Deck.

I'd like to see someone out the Ally to 4C and then compare where it's at, I'd also like Valve to actually release a current Steam OS properly for these devices.

Soldato

At the capped wattages, I've seen no one actually mention that, which logically to me can explain why the Steam Deck is way ahead as it's got more wattage for the GPU.

I'm convinced now that we need a major overhaul to Windows UI for these hand held devices. I'm also not convinced Asus will be able to make the device as easy to use as the Steam Deck.

I'd like to see someone out the Ally to 4C and then compare where it's at, I'd also like Valve to actually release a current Steam OS properly for these devices.
Technically the cores can be ignored when not needed/sufficient power is available, but it's always going to be more efficient to just not have the cores, which probably why Valve went with a custom APU.

The Ally seems to have software problems, so it'll probably do better with future updates.

Permabanned

I run windows 11 on my deck without an issue. UI is absolutely fine to navigate with fingers and the trackpads.

Last edited:
Soldato
I use Windows 11 on a smaller screened Ayaneo Air, and really it's a passable experience.
I think too much of a big deal is made out of how poor Windows is on these types of device. Yeah it's not great, but it's primarily a gaming handheld. I'm opening a launcher, and getting a game going. I spend a miniscule amount of time using the OS, and I imagine most others are the same.

A "handheld mode" for Windows would absolutely be a nice thing to have, but it's not the ultimate requirement.

Soldato
Rog ally has received a 20% performance boost when using the 15w and 25w power profiles thanks to its new firmware

Soldato
Looks like Asus dishing out those review units early may have been a bit of a mistake given the amount of stuff that's since been fixed.

Soldato
There are probably more gains to be made I reckon

In the higher tdp modes especially they should consider creating a profile that disables some cpu cores and gives that power to the GPU because that is the Ally's weakest point, it's CPU is over powered compared to the GPU

Back
Top Bottom