Asus ROG Ally

Soldato
There are probably more gains to be made I reckon

In the higher tdp modes especially they should consider creating a profile that disables some cpu cores and gives that power to the GPU because that is the Ally's weakest point, it's CPU is over powered compared to the GPU
Agreed. The best handheld for a generation will always be the custom APU, similar to how the 7840U is designed for laptops.

No shade at the Ally; hopefully as this form factor becomes more popular, we’ll see appropriately sized APUs.

Caporegime
I can get 10% off an Ally because of work, and may be able to get further discount with vouchers

So I could probably get one for £600
A bit more tempted at that, could probably sell it on for the same price if I didn't like it

Soldato
An interesting email on Asus store today. Asking for proof of ID/Address which to a degree i can understand and suspected may be some form of anti scalping however they also want me due to living in a flat to sign a non liability agreement that takes all responsibility off asus and their carrier to ensure successful delivery. Which i of course have refused to sign. I have told them i wont sign it and if they don't want to delivery it to a flat then cancel my order. Will be interesting to see their response as i am absolutely confident due to my job being in logistics as well as family members managing large logistic hubs that an agreement such as that is absolute nonsense and that the responsibility lies entirely with the haulier and that it is the sellers responsibility upon loss to deal with said issue with their haulier.

If they don't want losses then they need to agree with their haulier before hand that packages are ONLY to be delivered to the listed address and that they need to be signed for by the named receiver.

Hello,

We are contacting you in regard to your recent order with us.
Further to your order with us, we need to check the information you have provided on it before dispatching the item. Without performing this check-up, we are unable to proceed with your order.

As such, may we ask you to provide us with a photo of:

• A picture of Photo Id, and
• A picture of the Front of your card that you used showing the name on Order (we just need to see the last 4 digits and the name, you can hide the rest of the details)?

In case your ID card does not display your current address for delivery (or you simply do not wish to provide us with it), please send us a photo of a utility bill that does have the delivery details on it as well.

Additionally, please do check the attached PDF. Our Accounts team asked me to send you this non-liability agreement so it can also be signed.
It basically means we would not be held liable if the parcel is lost after delivery by our courier to your selected location, as it is an apartment building.

They informed me, all of this would be needed as this is a very expensive item. I hope for your understanding. However, if you have any questions about it - let me know.

If possible, please download, sign, and send back to me with a reply to this email in the below-attached form.

I will wait for your reply.

Kind regards
*REDECACTED*
ASUS Store Customer Service

What do you guys think about this?

Last edited:
Soldato
Yup. Which is why I won't be swapping my Steamdeck for one.
Once you've got used to playing FPS and RTS with trackpads, there's no going back to joysticks.
I tried to use the joysticks on UT99 but the tried the trackpad and was much more accurate.
Why not have trackpads on the latest controllers instead of thumb sticks?

Caporegime
I get to "Please select a delivery time that suits you." but no option to choose the date.
Googling it also says "£699.00 · ‎Pre-order"

I think they've started to maybe have a glut of orders and maybe it's knackered now.

Google could be a cached search.

I'm feeling pretty ready to pre order now since I can get it for £600.

Soldato
An interesting email on Asus store today. Asking for proof of ID/Address which to a degree i can understand and suspected may be some form of anti scalping however they also want me due to living in a flat to sign a non liability agreement that takes all responsibility off asus and their carrier to ensure successful delivery. Which i of course have refused to sign. I have told them i wont sign it and if they don't want to delivery it to a flat then cancel my order. Will be interesting to see their response as i am absolutely confident due to my job being in logistics as well as family members managing large logistic hubs that an agreement such as that is absolute nonsense and that the responsibility lies entirely with the haulier and that it is the sellers responsibility upon loss to deal with said issue with their haulier.

If they don't want losses then they need to agree with their haulier before hand that packages are ONLY to be delivered to the listed address and that they need to be signed for by the named receiver.

What do you guys think about this?
Time to forward that email to GN. Why oh why are they not doing signed delivery if it an issue. I would never sign and take liability. The driver could say tried to deliver and take for themselve and you'd be stuffed.

Soldato
Time to forward that email to GN. Why oh why are they not doing signed delivery if it an issue. I would never sign and take liability. The driver could say tried to deliver and take for themselve and you'd be stuffed.

Exactly pal,

It did get sent to GN by multiple people as i also posted it on reddit. I of course told them to do one and that i wouldn't sign it! told them if they don't want to take liability for shipment cancel my order simple as why should i lose out on £700 so they can save £4 on a premium shipping service.

Soldato
Exactly pal,

It did get sent to GN by multiple people as i also posted it on reddit. I of course told them to do one and that i wouldn't sign it! told them if they don't want to take liability for shipment cancel my order simple as why should i lose out on £700 so they can save £4 on a premium shipping service.

Honestly just awful tbh.

Soldato
OP
Exactly pal,

Did they cancel it then?

Underboss
Been trying to source a 64Gb Steam Deck for a while now, either new or a reasonably priced 2nd hand unit, proving very difficult.

So I'm hoping either they are holding stock until this releases on the 13th, or I might need to wait for a comparison between this and the top end SD as I have handheld money burning a hole in my pocket.

Back
Top Bottom