Asus ROG Ally

Associate
Has anyone used Emudeck for Windows on their unit yet? I think you can get it by coming a Patreon of theirs.

I am tempted to order one, really love the way Emudeck works on the Steamdeck and would like the same on the Ally.

I'm currently setting mine up to use emudeck, paid the patreon membership.

So far pretty smooth experience, the thing that caught me out, and many others is the way the ally switches its control mode with armory crate due to it being a windows device. It's simple two clicks to change with the shortcut button on the device.

It basically changes the input mode to desktop or gamepad and it also has a auto mode, if its on auto (default) some emulators don't work properly and you have to manually set it to gamepad.

The good thing with emudeck patreon is they are actively developing this and supporting the ally, they have literally just noted the above on their patreon page and said they will address it in the next update.

In terms of the overall experience so far, it's relatively easy, and integration with steam looks lovely. I've never owned a steam deck so don't know how it compares to emudeck on that in terms of ease of setup etc.

issues so far were any game that loaded through retroarch had no sound, that was a driver issue and had to set it to dsound in retroarch settings and believe from my Googling is a Windows 11 issue.

Took me a while figure out ps3 game shortcuts for emulation station to pick up, and still trying to figure out the same for xbox 360.

There's 2 other front ends people are using from what I've seen on reddit. Launchbox, and retrobat.

I have both of those too, and used them extensively before. But I wanted emudeck as wanted the steam integration, one launcher does all for a handheld if that makes sense.

Associate

So far pretty smooth experience, the thing that caught me out, and many others is the way the ally switches its control mode with armory crate due to it being a windows device. It's simple two clicks to change with the shortcut button on the device.

It basically changes the input mode to desktop or gamepad and it also has a auto mode, if its on auto (default) some emulators don't work properly and you have to manually set it to gamepad.

The good thing with emudeck patreon is they are actively developing this and supporting the ally, they have literally just noted the above on their patreon page and said they will address it in the next update.

In terms of the overall experience so far, it's relatively easy, and integration with steam looks lovely. I've never owned a steam deck so don't know how it compares to emudeck on that in terms of ease of setup etc.

issues so far were any game that loaded through retroarch had no sound, that was a driver issue and had to set it to dsound in retroarch settings and believe from my Googling is a Windows 11 issue.

Took me a while figure out ps3 game shortcuts for emulation station to pick up, and still trying to figure out the same for xbox 360.

There's 2 other front ends people are using from what I've seen on reddit. Launchbox, and retrobat.

I have both of those too, and used them extensively before. But I wanted emudeck as wanted the steam integration, one launcher does all for a handheld if that makes sense.
Thanks so much, going to order myself one.

Soldato
I'm surprised by home comfortable this thing is to hold. I had a good session on diablo 4 tonight and I had no discomfort at all and the game itself ran great in the 30w turbo mode.

Soldato

Emulationstation de is a great frontend to Emudeck. I use it on Steamdeck with no other frontend and also used it on Windows 10.
At least on the Ally Sega model 2 and model 3 should be a bit easier to setup.

Soldato
Ordered one of these today so will be interesting to compare to the 512GB Steam Deck I already have.

I also have a 3080(M) XG Mobile to use with it (Use a Flow Z13 for work) so that will be interesting to see that working as well (Especially performance vs the 12900H equipped Z13).

Scheduled for delivery tomorrow morning. :)

Soldato

Thank you very much Cookie I appreciate your insights.

So overall, you reckon Emudeck is the way to go?

Associate
Thank you very much Cookie I appreciate your insights.

So overall, you reckon Emudeck is the way to go?
If you want the steam integration and not using different apps for your steam games and emulation then definitely yes, bear in mind emudeck on Windows is still beta, and obviously behind a patreon pay wall with no indication as to when it come out of beta and free like on steam os.

Also a yes in terms of setup compared to launchbox, as you have to setup every emulator individually, whereas with this is pretty much done for you bar a few later system emulators where you have to point the emulator to the bios files, like rpcs3.

If you don't mind tinkering and the setup process then you can get a very nice experience with launchhox and I believe you can add steam games to that. But it's very lengthy and took me days to get everything how I wanted it when I gave it a go a few years back.

Retrobat is also very good, and is actually based on emulationstation which emudeck uses. I just found with that I had to mess with the controller setup more for things like dolphin, cemu and it wasn't saving controller mappings etc. But they may be just unique to me.

I've been really impressed with windows emudeck though and it's getting better all the time with updates, it has things like cloudsyncing your save states / games. It let's you reset configuration settings quickly if you make a mistake and you can try again and overall I've not felt the need to leave it and go and try retrobat again.

So it I had to chose between the 3, then yes I am sticking with emudeck.

Si.

Si.

Soldato
As great as this hardware is.. we all know Windows is the achillies heal. Even in ROG's own tips and tricks video, windows is the obvious issue and they have some issues:

Soldato
1. Er. You went with the Ally after all? From your posts you seemed to be not bought into it?

2. AliExpress to buy storage. No thank you!
1. No. Where did I say I did?
2. Tens of thousands of other people dont seem to have a problem with new sealed ssd storage from Aliexpress sellers

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom