Asus ROG Ally

Soldato
The only problem with the Ally is its operating system.

Linus did mention this in his hands on; windows 11 wasn't designed to be used as a portable handheld gaming system. Microsoft needs to make a modified version of windows for devices like this, like it does for Xbox, or the user needs to be able to boot SteamOS on it.

Personally I'll be hesitant until the OS issue is cleaned up; but early adopters go right ahead and enjoy yourself, I'm just not as willing to deal with issues anymore as I get older and want things to just work perfectly

Last edited:
Soldato
Microsoft did a 'hackathon' for a portable version of Windows 11 which, supposedly, was great. Whether it comes to light or not we will not know for a while. However the 'problem' as you see it actually a 'win' as I see it - Windows is very customisable so it's only a skin and a few desktop icons and that's all you will need. You can throw a browser on there but these devices are really for gaming. The problem with Steam OS is that third parties are a pain to get working. Linux isn't the greatest thing and you have to constantly tweak to get games working. If there's an update then it might not work on that game and you have to fiddle again. Don't get me wrong I love the Steam OS and the Steam Deck but a more powerful machine is always going to be welcome especially when it's powerful enough to run Windows.

I don't see any reason you'd want to put Steam OS on a non-Steam device - if it can run Winodws (and I'd happily put money on people doing cut down versions of Windows or skinned versions or even just a script that stops un-neccessary services) then that's a much better place to be as you know all of your games will work, all the anti-cheat will work so you can play online and it won't be a massive faff to get a game working.

Just IMHO.

M.

Back
Top Bottom