Asus ROG Ally

The only problem with the Ally is its operating system.

Linus did mention this in his hands on; windows 11 wasn't designed to be used as a portable handheld gaming system. Microsoft needs to make a modified version of windows for devices like this, like it does for Xbox, or the user needs to be able to boot SteamOS on it.

Personally I'll be hesitant until the OS issue is cleaned up; but early adopters go right ahead and enjoy yourself, I'm just not as willing to deal with issues anymore as I get older and want things to just work perfectly
Xbox VP of Hardware is one of the Launch speakers.

Which makes this interesting. Theres a rumour that Microsoft has funded this as well as ASUS.

If so, that would explain the competitive pricing and not the ASUS tax. Microsoft jumps in on a project that ASUS has been working on for 5 years.

“We can get a mobile xbox handheld for super cheap - no RND. We just gotta give ASUS some bucks”

Wouldn’t be surprised if this is the case. If it was simply for Game pass, then why have the VP for Xbox Hardware and not software?

And if Microsoft is involved - you’ll see the sleep / quick resume function in Windows for it.

Xbox VP of Hardware is one of the Launch speakers.

Which makes this interesting. Theres a rumour that Microsoft has funded this as well as ASUS.

If so, that would explain the competitive pricing and not the ASUS tax. Microsoft jumps in on a project that ASUS has been working on for 5 years.

“We can get a mobile xbox handheld for super cheap - no RND. We just gotta give ASUS some bucks”

Wouldn’t be surprised if this is the case. If it was simply for Game pass, then why have the VP for Xbox Hardware and not software?

And if Microsoft is involved - you’ll see the sleep / quick resume function in Windows for it.

Sleep / quick resume would be Microsoft / Windows not Xbox.

Hopefully Xbox are only there because of the rumoured 3 months free game pass because on their recent form we dont want them screwing this up..

Sleep / quick resume would be Microsoft / Windows not Xbox.

Hopefully Xbox are only there because of the rumoured 3 months free game pass because on their recent form we dont want them screwing this up..

You aren’t looking at that right. If its xbox, then by its definition its Microsoft. And if its Xbox influenced it will have quick resume for continuity of products.

Equally, not sure what cool aid you have been drinking but Xbox hasn’t messed up anything with Hardware, if anything its superior to the PS5.

OS and Hardware is fine. Games, on the other hand…you have a point.

As for the Game Pass thing - still odd to have their VP of Hardware there if it is Game Pass.

And theres another reason you want Microsoft involved.

Cost. MS will eat hardware cost, ASUS won’t. So the fact that is is somewhat affordable from the links, suggests their involvement. ASUS tax is usually 10-15% if not more over competitors.

Last edited:
You aren’t looking at that right. If its xbox, then by its definition its Microsoft. And if its Xbox influenced it will have quick resume for continuity of products.

Equally, not sure what cool aid you have been drinking but Xbox hasn’t messed up anything with Hardware, if anything its superior to the PS5.

OS and Hardware is fine. Games, on the other hand…you have a point.

As for the Game Pass thing - still odd to have their VP of Hardware there if it is Game Pass.

And theres another reason you want Microsoft involved.

Cost. MS will eat hardware cost, ASUS won’t. So the fact that is is somewhat affordable from the links, suggests their involvement. ASUS tax is usually 10-15% if not more over competitors.

Xbox and Windows are separate divisions - quick resume would need to be an OS feature so nothing to do with Xbox.

Also MS aren't a charity - why would they help subsidise another companies hardware without Xbox branding just in the hope of getting a few more game pass subs?

Presumably Asus want to push the game pass access to differentiate from Steam Deck.

Just hope that whatever the angle for Xbox they dont screw things up in some way.

Xbox and Windows are separate divisions - quick resume would need to be an OS feature so nothing to do with Xbox.

Also MS aren't a charity - why would they help subsidise another companies hardware without Xbox branding just in the hope of getting a few more game pass subs?

Presumably Asus want to push the game pass access to differentiate from Steam Deck.

Just hope that whatever the angle for Xbox they dont screw things up in some way.
Microsoft may well subsidise because it gets Windows on new handheld and then opens up a new market segment. Not because its not their hardware.

They want their software there and to compete with SteamOS.

I do agree with the quick resume point though, that on the MS side of their windows division and nothing with xbox.

The tie in then as noted is the ability for playing xbox gamepass games. Which I like idea of because I have it free with my Internet sub so to be able chill and play whilst on sofa or visiting parents at times etc as I'm away from home 3 to 4 days a week normally is cool.

xbox itself runs on a Windows 10 based OS does it not? could have sworn it did, Just obviously extremely cut down. So surely a cross over is not so far fetched?

Few more are now clocking on to the Xbox VP being there now and seem to be of the same opinion - but of course we don’t have long to find out.

And as the other guy stated, market share. Thats why they’d fund it.

As you probably know if you have had a console, Microsoft and Sony make very little on the consoles - sometimes even a loss.

Its all made on subscriptions and games. Only this time, MS hasn’t had to spend millions on RnD to then make peanuts on the console…they subsidize the cost to keep ASUS sweet, which in turn uptakes sales. In return, ASUS pushes game pass massively.

Its actually a big win-win all round. ASUS has a successful product and Microsoft gets market share and a halo product cheap, without any of the costs.

And if it does really well, expect the next one to be rebranded as an Xbox product but still made by ASUS, much like the Google Pixel for a long time being made by third parties such as HTC etc.

Last edited:
I think a lot of wishful thinking ahead of some disappointment tomorrow.

I’ll be buying it regardless as it ticks the boxes for me!

Just for others though (and my wallet to an extent) I hope you are wrong and I am right….

But knowing my luck you’ll be right!

But i expect it will be somewhere in the middle if I am honest…

Will you lot bite if it's £800?
Yes as long as there’s no unexpected restrictions or constraints that come to light during the press conference.

The lack of sleep / quick resume is a problem being used to the Switch and Steam Deck.

Saw some benchmarks against the SD, 6800U and 7840U.

The 7 does a lot better at lower wattages than the 6, but SD is still king because it’s a small APU. Getting into higher wattages and the 7 is strong - this was at 800p so there will be more losses at 1080p.

Zen5 or 6 is probably where I’ll jump back in - that should be a decent improvement and I’d be keen to keep supporting Valve and Linux.

Hmmm £699 is certainly tempting and lower than I was thinking for the top end model (Z1 extreme).

Now to justify to myself why I need one when I already have a SteamDeck and a Flow Z13 to use with the XG mobile (3080M model)...

Didn't even realise preorder date is 16th. What's the point when they could have had it today?

Presumably they want an Apple style pre order drama - hopefully it starts at a sensible UK time and not some middle of the night global nonsense.

Back
Top Bottom