Asus ROG Ally

Soldato
I wonder how performance stacks up to consoles in realword sense just out interest.

The CPU must be significantly better/faster. Zen4 vs Zen2, both 8 core and it can boost to 5.1Ghz as needed.

Soldato
Only thing that would worry me if I were to buy one is 'Armoury crate ui'. Having had the displeasure of using AC on my PC so I Can turn off all my RGB, it is possibly the worst software I've ever had to use.

Soldato
Only thing that would worry me if I were to buy one is 'Armoury crate ui'. Having had the displeasure of using AC on my PC so I Can turn off all my RGB, it is possibly the worst software I've ever had to use.
In terms of hardware options, tuning, etc. AC is the best I've used (Asus laptop), however, it is incredibly bloated.

Soldato
I wonder how performance stacks up to consoles in realword sense just out interest.

The CPU must be significantly better/faster. Zen4 vs Zen2, both 8 core and it can boost to 5.1Ghz as needed.

A reasonable estimate given the core specs is probably around the Series S in raw grunt terms (Faster CPU, less CU but higher IPC GPU) but missing out on potential optimisations that are inherent to console (vs PC). It becomes a bit trickier when trying to see how this would translate to real world performance though as ultimately the consoles are running settings / hitting performance targets defined by the developers.

I am most interested in whether Destiny 2 can hit a locked 1080p60 at medium / high settings - this would match the Series S. The SteamDeck can hit a pretty locked 40FPS at 800p but 1080p is too much for it.

Just thinking, I wonder if they will allow the screen to lock at lower refresh rates out of the box, similar to what you can do with the Deck using SteamOS. This makes a massive difference in games that can lock 40FPS but not 60. I am guessing it will be possible with CRU, like you do with Deck on Windows, but would be nice to have it built in directly to the Ally's software.

Fingers crossed it has a simple shortcut key (like my Flow Z1) to allow quick changes without having to open the AC software itself. I also dislike it based on experience with it on the Flow and my wife's G15. Compared to my Legion which has simple "Silent/Normal/Performance" profiles the Asus settings mess around with power limits and clocks causing confusion when I am trying to OC using MSI Afterburner. It can work but more often than not bugs out and locks the TGP at a a lower level despite running full manual mode. Meanwhile the Legion just goes, "eh, have a it, CPU up to 4.4Ghz and you want 2Ghz core on that mobile 3080M?!, pffft keep going, I am only just warming up a bit here".

Don't even get me started on the whole XG mobile interfacing with AC...

Associate
Checked the product link earlier and it was there but it's gone now for me. The sign up page is there but I filled that in a week or two ago. Hoping to get a quick way in having registered interest but I suspect I'm being overly optimistic.

Soldato
obviously MS is heavily invested in this, I bet they are subsidising to keep that price down.

Not according to the presentation - Xbox are only there for the post launch chat.

Seems it was more an Asus / AMD thing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom