ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 144hz 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync.

I'm awaiting the mega poo storm that will result if there are as many issues with this monitor given it's the same panel as the XB270HU. Some early reports on other forums of ones looking just as bad... I wouldn't touch this until I knew I was going to get a good one.

+1

Going to be interesting if the majority post about back light bleed and it will be interesting to see ocuk/asus's stance on it.....

I'll be sending it back until I get one that's acceptable. I can deal with a bit of BLB providing it isn't excessive and no dead pixels. For £750 I rightfully expect a solid close to flawless product.

You will need to be careful though as if you go through 3+ monitors, ocuk in the past have said that they might charge people for the restocking fee or take up to 25% of the refund.

Disappointing that I wasn't allowed the option of Saturday delivery for mine. Its a major hassle arranging for someone to be in to collect deliveries during the week. Surely an email to ask the question wouldn't have been too much to ask?

Very envious but will see what Badass has to say about it compared to the other reviews especially input lag, motion blur at 165hz and colour. ULMB was always gimmicky for me but will see if the tech has improved.

P.S What games do you use to test for hitching and tearing?

+1

Going to be interesting if the majority post about back light bleed and it will be interesting to see ocuk/asus's stance on it.....

You will need to be careful though as if you go through 3+ monitors, ocuk in the past have said that they might charge people for the restocking fee or take up to 25% of the refund.

I don't want to send stuff back just to be a nuisance, but I'm spending £750 for a display... If I were OCUK I would be sending them back to Asus for replacement stock or a refund.

Yup I don't disagree with you, I would expect a monitor for £750 to be perfect and when I say perfect, I mean zero bleed and no dust/dirt under the screen etc. unfortunately with these panels, that is unlikely to happen.

Just giving you a heads up with returns as chances are you might have to go through more than 2. I believe gibbo/bailey posted in the acer 27" IPS 144HZ about the up to 25% of the refund if people are going through the monitors.

Yup I don't disagree with you, I would expect a monitor for £750 to be perfect and when I say perfect, I mean zero bleed and no dust/dirt under the screen etc. unfortunately with these panels, that is unlikely to happen.

Just giving you a heads up with returns as chances are you might have to go through more than 2. I believe gibbo/bailey posted in the acer 27" IPS 144HZ about the up to 25% of the refund if people are going through the monitors.

25% of the refund?

Dirt under the screen is totally unacceptable. Aren't displays manufactured in clean rooms? Slight bleeding I can live with, dead pixels are a nono. Hopefully Asus have better QC than Acer. Will find out tomorrow if I'm lucky, time to install those new Nvidia drivers though.

I don't want to send stuff back just to be a nuisance, but I'm spending £750 for a display... If I were OCUK I would be sending them back to Asus for replacement stock or a refund.

Dead pixels are fully covered, and we consider as a fault, so will keep exchanging at no cost to customer until they get a perfect pixel monitor.

BLB is decided case by case and we are very fair. IPS glow is not BLB and not covered.

25% of the refund?

Dirt under the screen is totally unacceptable. Aren't displays manufactured in clean rooms? Slight bleeding I can live with, dead pixels are a nono. Hopefully Asus have better QC than Acer. Will find out tomorrow if I'm lucky, time to install those new Nvidia drivers though.

The latest drivers are screwed when it comes to G-sync. Certainly in my experience if you run anything windowed as opposed to full screen, then frame rates take a battering.

There is a hotfix driver, but I can't say it seems to have fixed things for me. I may have to go the DDU and reinstall route.

Not forgetting ULMB also included and premium ROG brand and design

Had forgotten ULMB ... but how many people use it these days on the monitors that have it? <5%?

The monitor is identical save for a splash of red on its base. The box (which I assume some people covet hugely) will have more red on it and "ROG".

Definitely worth a £300 premium.

there are speakers in it which was a bonus and a few new features like the blue light stuff. HDMI at last ps4 looks pretty good on it also. This looks like it will be a really nice monitor need to play for a while though. Playing a little Borderlands looks brill.

25% of the refund?

Yeah I think by law it states that etailers can take up to 25% of the price of any item or something like that as they have to cover the restock fee and re-sell the monitor for less since it has been opened/used.

Personally I wouldn't even put up with "slight" bleeding, you shouldn't have too especially at £750.....

Yeah I think by law it states that etailers can take up to 25% of the price of any item or something like that as they have to cover the restock fee and re-sell the monitor for less since it has been opened/used.

Only they can't do that. Not unless someone is obviously taking advantage and going through loads of monitors, in the hopeless task of seeking perfection (which doesn't exist with this panel). No one should fear buying a monitor for this reason, but they SHOULD be aware that the panel used in the PG279Q and Acer XB270HU is highly likely to suffer with BLB and glow problems. It's pointless buying monitor after monitor... you won't find one that doesn't have one or the other (or both), you simply won't. Whether you are tolerant of this and happy to live with it however is another question that only you can answer.

You're allowed by law to purchase any monitor (and other such tech), open it, turn it on and inspect it, just as you would be in a shop. You can't be charged a restocking fee if you then return it, as is your right, and you do not even need to give a reason for doing so... but you must pay for that return if the item isn't faulty. The problems will arise if people are returning multiple monitors for glow when it's not even considered a fault... which is all kinds of ridiculous if you ask me, but that's a whole separate debate. It would certainly seem that glow has now become a standard feature for IPS... despite the fact an ATW polarizer would pretty much eliminate the problem overnight. But hey, we keep buying this overpriced junk and they'll keep selling it, simple as that!

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom