ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 144hz 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync.

Mine has shipped.

Will most likely be Tuesday before I see it though :(

2 working day via DPD cancels the weekend out.

Living on an island sucks sometimes :)

I have one of these arriving Monday/Tuesday.

However I also have a S34E790C that arrived today, I have not picked it up yet though and probably wont.

Should I go with the PG or the S34?

• No Glow vs IPS Glow.
    - XB270HU I had was returned due to not being usable for me in anything dark or dim, games arent very enjoyable when your left or right eye has a different shade on screen compared to the other.
  • No Dirt vs Dirt in the panel..
    - Same panel as XB... and users have reported stuff like this on the PG279Q.
  • 60hz vs >120 is sort of a big deal.
    - However not so much on a very fast panel such as my XL2411Z where 60hz is fine, although blurrier than 120hz ofcourse.
  • No Gsync vs Gsync.
    - Didnt really notice much of a difference playing GTA 5 on the XB270HU I had during a weekend.
  • 3440x1440 vs 2560x1440 / 21:9 vs 16:9....
    Im very tempted by the Ultrawide and Im sure my 980 Ti would handle it fine.

But I've read the S34E790C got trailing/ghosting (even with OD at the lowest) and banding in dark content. Such as Elite and Wallpapers.

You're going to be in the position to use both monitors and decide for yourself, so take advantage of that. Spend some time looking for negative comments for any popular monitor and you'll find them with little effort. Pay attention to them and you'll be put off buying any monitor.

Mine will be arriving today, can't wait. I have a Rog Swift around still so can compare as well as having the Asus IPS PA328Q 4k one. Will be trying PS4 and scaling quality as well. Hope the DPD time is this morning.

Quick post.
PG279Q arrived an hour ago from another retailer.
First impression... quality bit of kit. When I think I paid the same amount for the Predator XB270HU on release day I can only say shame on you Acer. Box, packaging, stand (with lights on/off)...wow. This looks and feels like a £700 monitor.
BTW no seals broken like my last 3 XB270HU's.

Ok. I don't want to raise hopes but cannot find any dead pixels, smudges, fingermarks, dirt, gaps in corners, creatures crawling across the screen (yes, a few had that).
The big issue on all my Acer's were 'radiation' glowing from bottom right corner (all 4 on one monitor).
"So far..." all looks well in daylight (it does come out maily at night.
So if, like me, you've been trawling threads for the last 6 months I can say after 1 hour I am well impressed.
Got to pop out for an hour but will test further this afternoon.
Phew... so far..

Set up and a few first impressions. sRGB mode is best and produces a nice image but the settings for picture like backlight etc are then locked in that mode. It does not have a grainy image on bright whites like the TN swift. ULMB at 85hz on Witcher 3 with v-sync on looked very nice. The overdrive has no overshoot on the UFO tests on the mid setting. I have no noticable backlight bleed on sRGB mode but the glow looks more dark blue and no issue from looking from the right side of the monitor but look from the left side and you get a bit of silvery glow in the top and bottom right corners but this is as per normal for IPS i guess so I knew it would do that already. It overclocks to 165hz with no issue. The overclock button is still there as per the TN swift. At 85hz ULMB mode at the full pulse width setting it still looks bright around 120cdm2 i would guess. You get a bit of ULMB ghosting as some of the image seeps into the next refresh at 85hz but it's not on all transitions. Liking it so far.

Been playing with mine for an hour or so testing. Seems to have no problem. Uniform IPS glow but not too severe. Very nice colours on it, very happy so far. I too found the ULMB ghosting to be undesirable enough that combined with the strobeing that i notice i will stick to gsync in all games. I think ULMB is pushing it for this panel.

Read such bad review of the freesync ROG monitor that if the reviews of this one are good may just grab one as I need a new monitor and then upgrade my GPU to an Nvidia at the end of the year.

You are good to use a G-Sync monitor without G-Sync I assume? Until I update my GPU anyway!

Hopefully this one lives up the Hype! Fingers crossed!

Read such bad review of the freesync ROG monitor that if the reviews of this one are good may just grab one as I need a new monitor and then upgrade my GPU to an Nvidia at the end of the year.

You are good to use a G-Sync monitor without G-Sync I assume? Until I update my GPU anyway!

Hopefully this one lives up the Hype! Fingers crossed!

yes man you can use any G-sync monitor with out using the G-sync MODE there will be no problems it will just work like a normal monitor .. Then when you move over to nvidia you can start using it ...

I love G-sync and will never use another monitor with out it ..

I just received mine.

The box it came in looked a bit dodgy (had clear tape on it and it looked like it was opened before, but can't be sure). When I've unpacked the monitor I found a piece of paper advertising the main features to be facing the panel itself, so it was backwards.

However...plugged everything in and I'm happy to report that there are 0 dead pixels, no "dirt", no BLB and the IPS glow is minimal. I've upgraded from a Dell U2410 (IPS as well) and this panel is actually better to my eyes: the blacks are darker and there is actually less glow. I never considered my Dell bad or having too much glow but this PG279Q I received is a lot better.

I've also received a Dell P2715Q 27" 3840x2160 IPS (still in the box) so I'll set that one up and compare the two monitors just to see what the difference is (in terms of blb, glow & such).

Not sure if I just won the lottery (giving people on other forums reported a lot of issues) but mine is 10 out of 10 so far.

I only tested it at 120hz (on a gtx 680) but there's also a g1 980ti waiting in a box so yeah, good luck to all the others, I have a GPU to fit.

yes man you can use any G-sync monitor with out using the G-sync MODE there will be no problems it will just work like a normal monitor .. Then when you move over to nvidia you can start using it ...

I love G-sync and will never use another monitor with out it ..

Thanks for the info mate! Appreciated. Sounds like the plan then!

I just received mine.

The box it came in looked a bit dodgy (had clear tape on it and it looked like it was opened before, but can't be sure). When I've unpacked the monitor I found a piece of paper advertising the main features to be facing the panel itself, so it was backwards.

However...plugged everything in and I'm happy to report that there are 0 dead pixels, no "dirt", no BLB and the IPS glow is minimal. I've upgraded from a Dell U2410 (IPS as well) and this panel is actually better to my eyes: the blacks are darker and there is actually less glow. I never considered my Dell bad or having too much glow but this PG279Q I received is a lot better.

I've also received a Dell P2715Q 27" 3840x2160 IPS (still in the box) so I'll set that one up and compare the two monitors just to see what the difference is (in terms of blb, glow & such).

Not sure if I just won the lottery (giving people on other forums reported a lot of issues) but mine is 10 out of 10 so far.

I only tested it at 120hz (on a gtx 680) but there's also a g1 980ti waiting in a box so yeah, good luck to all the others, I have a GPU to fit.

Nice :cool:

And you're gonna LOVE the Ti ;) :D

Just got mine, no severe backlight bleeding and clouding, no dirt, no dead pixels. Very happy. Does anyone know why I can only set it to 144Hz in the control panel?

Edit: Got it sorted :)

Back
Top Bottom