ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 144hz 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync.

Associate
Thanks for uploading the vids, tempted to get one but having been burnt by Acer was waiting for some reviews 1st. How would you compare the AG coating on the swift to the acer?

I remember when I first switched on the Predator on lauch weekend. The visuals were stunning... as good as I had seen since CRT.
The reason why I kept trying to get a half decent XB270HU for six months was I was desperate to recreate that initial 'WOW' factor. Unfortunately I stopped enjoying gaming because of the constant distraction of bleed/glow on darker scenes.
I have to admit when I first switched on the PG279Q I didn't get blown away. The AG coating is not as bad as I was expecting but does diminish the clarity slightly. I suppose the "WOW" becomes a "yeah". However, last night I had a great gaming session where I became immersed into the game rather than distracted by any annoyances.
It's too early to go overboard as I am sure TFT Central are far more experienced in rigorous testing than me, so wait for their review next week. I am simply putting forward your average 'Joe' gamers first impressions.
I suppose I felt that I was quite critical when getting a bad monitor and it is only fair to speak out when something is good.

Associate
Just finished comparing the TN & IPS rogs.

At their highest refresh rates 144 vs 165 on witcher 3 getting 130fps with g-sync on. The IPS one has a nicer image due to lack of vertical gamma shift and thus the colours are rich across the whole screen and the lack of a grainy coating makes it look nicer. It has zero overshoot issues whereas the TN one has overshoot, especially noticable on the clouds in the sky. As far as blur goes on really fast pans the TN is slightly better but not to the extent of being a plus as overshoot is annoying. Best way to think of it is turning down monitor overdrive to lose overshoot and gain a tiny bit more blur. The input lag and response feels smooth and nice on both.

For reference my TN rog had perfect greyscale, colours and nice gamma after calibration and no backlight bleed. Although I have not calibrated my IPS one yet i can tell it looks accurate enough for comparison for now.

When using ULMB the TN rog still has overshoot which is annoying on the clouds on witcher 3 at 85hz or 120hz. Their are odd light ghosting bits as well. The IPS rog has much less overshoot but has a few more ghosting issues response time related as well on games. They both look pretty much blur free at 85hz which is easier to maintain 85fps across the whole of a game using v-sync. Due to each having seperate issues to slightly moan about I would call ULMB mode a draw.

I tried the PS4 and a 1080p sharpness test pattern and the scaling is of medium quality for me. Their is slight ringing on the test pattern and is not the best scaling i have seen for 1080p, an old iiyama 1440p was better. It's not really bad though and distance and your own expectations play a big part here. For me personally it's a little disappointing. Seen as the TN rog had no hdmi then this can only be seen as an advantage for most people.

The menus are just as responsive etc as the TN rog and have the same picture calibration options and overdrive off, medium and high. The joystick, buttons, including hz changing button are the same kind of layout.

If i had a choice i would get the IPS rog with it's only issues being the silvery IPS glow only visible on the right hand side of the panel in the corners as it's dark blue glow on the left and is not noticable. This is from a few ft back. Mine has very very minor BLB in the top right and bottom right corners but the silver glow hides it anyway. Also the slight response related ghosting in ULMB mode on certain transitions. Other than that it's great.
The TN rog issues would be overshoot in both normal and ULMB modes. The TN vertical gamma shift. Lack of hdmi for consoles (if needed) and slight ULMB light ghosting and the grainy panel coating.

For me the IPS rog wins as their are not that many games with dark scenes compared to bright and that is it's biggest issue and you can always dim the backlight and dim the image even more using ULMB.

Associate
I tried the PS4 and a 1080p sharpness test pattern and the scaling is of medium quality for me.

Many thanks for testing this as this will be a dual purpose monitor for me also (so may wait for the 4k version as 1080p will be x2 vs scaled), is there any chance you can get a photo of the test pattern ^^ :)

Associate
Many thanks for testing this as this will be a dual purpose monitor for me also (so may wait for the 4k version as 1080p will be x2 vs scaled), is there any chance you can get a photo of the test pattern ^^ :)

Hi,
Just compared 1080p and 720p scaling on the IPS rog to my Asus pro art 4k 32" (PA328Q). The scaler in the 4k one is excellent and both resolutions look fantastic in my eyes compared to the rog. As the rog scales 720p poorly which is half of 1440p it shows this monitor has a lower quality scaler. I don't think the 4k 27" edition will have a better one i would guess. TBH i love my 32" 4k monitor the most for console Wii U and PS4 and PC games that are not online shooters.
Here are the comparisons-

1080p on the rog.
8be0f90eb6ca59532c863929a9cb89d6_zpsco4og5fi.jpg

d30c33f804194fa9e3be997bca7811e5_zpsgp77mzqs.jpg

1080p 4k 32"
4a45554b81f07c355c748868e2931042_zpskecvudos.jpg

dbd0c6a78a632ef785c13ea8811b771c_zpsl4mmbehk.jpg

720p on the rog
59b15c390fee42f7f5f06b8dff8212eb_zpsdf5py1ao.jpg

720p 4k 32"
325131d1866a0822d6b02f57ee4a60c2_zpswsnskdo4.jpg

8cd058103626fa8783d3539348a2946c_zps4v3vvufe.jpg

Hope this helps you out.

Associate
Anyone else having issues with the g-sync on this monitor?
If its on, every game gives me black/light brown screen after a while (5-20minutes). I can hear the sound of the game, but I cant get the screen back no matter what I do, only a full restart fixes it. (Some multiplayer games drops me out as well, thats why I think its a driver issue)
I updated the driver to 358.59, it fixed the windowed fullscreen mode low fps (20), but I still get the black screens and some random freezes in games. (Both in normal fullscreen and windowed fullscreen.)
OD on normal, 144hz, but I tried 60hz as well.
If I turn the g-sync off, everything seems to be good.
I hope its not my g-sync unit, but I haven't read about this here or elsewhere.

Edit:
355.98 driver fixed it.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi,
Just compared 1080p and 720p scaling on the IPS rog to my Asus pro art 4k 32" (PA328Q). The scaler in the 4k one is excellent and both resolutions look fantastic in my eyes compared to the rog. As the rog scales 720p poorly which is half of 1440p it shows this monitor has a lower quality scaler. I don't think the 4k 27" edition will have a better one i would guess. TBH i love my 32" 4k monitor the most for console Wii U and PS4 and PC games that are not online shooters.
Here are the comparisons-

Hope this helps you out.

Would you say it's usable for console gaming, as I have both an Xbox One and a PS4 that I'm looking to run off this monitor once it arrives, and I'd hate for it to be a sub-par experience?

Associate
Would you say it's usable for console gaming, as I have both an Xbox One and a PS4 that I'm looking to run off this monitor once it arrives, and I'd hate for it to be a sub-par experience?

It's usable yes but i'm extremely picky and demand the best and have seen quality artifact free scaling in action before so i know that i won't be satisfied. Other people though might think it looks great despite it not being perfect it's each to their own as they say so it's kind of hard for me to advise if you would like it. I can only say it's not the best it could have been as the pictures highlight the oversharpened scaling meaning the image will look rougher than it could have, unfortunately their are no sharpness controls of any kind to alter in the OSD which could have helped a bit. I guess you would need to try it for yourself to see what you think but obviously any scaling is not as good as using say a 24" 1080p monitor. My 32" 4k scaling may look a bit blockier than the original image but it's scaled very cleanly and without problems which is pleasing to my eyes.

Associate
It's usable yes but i'm extremely picky and demand the best and have seen quality artifact free scaling in action before so i know that i won't be satisfied. Other people though might think it looks great despite it not being perfect it's each to their own as they say so it's kind of hard for me to advise if you would like it. I can only say it's not the best it could have been as the pictures highlight the oversharpened scaling meaning the image will look rougher than it could have, unfortunately their are no sharpness controls of any kind to alter in the OSD which could have helped a bit. I guess you would need to try it for yourself to see what you think but obviously any scaling is not as good as using say a 24" 1080p monitor. My 32" 4k scaling may look a bit blockier than the original image but it's scaled very cleanly and without problems which is pleasing to my eyes.

Fair enough, thanks all the same. I'm currently using the consoles on a 24" Acer G247HYU 2560x1440 screen so it's not like I'm coming from a perfect 1080p image anyway.

Associate
Yeah the scaler does feel bare bones in this monitor, im fine if it leads to lower gsync lag tbh. My Virgin Tivo's 1080i output shudders so i have to run at 720p and the instructions actually say interlace is not supported.

Personally im fine with it as primarily its for gaming but i watch a bit of TV in my room for Formula 1 and UFC :)

For anyone with odd game behavoir make sure the connections are firm and if they are try turning the over-clock off just for experiment (suffer with 144 briefly...) . I think 165 is really leaning on the bandwidth. I had this then turned it off and reseated and i could turn it up again, it also could have been driver problems though.

Last edited:
Associate
Yup I've never used Gsync before today but boy is the difference noticable, I was trying out Bad Company 2 Vietnam and because Nvidia has borked the drivers it runs terribly. Like 20-40FPS vs over 100 like I used to. Well as soon as you drop below the Gsync threshold its like watching a slideshow, above it and its really smooth. Sure its expensive and Adaptive Sync on Nvidia would be a cheaper universal option, Gsync is still a brilliant bit of tech.

There was an update fix driver for G-Sync Windowed mode & full-screen performance issue

You can find the fixed ones here ...

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3798

Associate
For people wondering about glow here is my PG279Q as the centre landscape screen and my AOC 25 inch 2550x1440 portrait monitor as comparison.

Apologies for my breathing as i was holding the camera close lol.

I tried to pan around to show how the glow shifts on both monitors, it is slightly less obvious to the human eye than the camera i would say but in general it gives a good impression. Personally i think the AOC has substantially more glow than the ASUS but it is still a nice monitor and once you have any content other than solid black it just doesnt show.

You can see when i load a movie that the glows level is far lower than the minimum black level of the movie. With normal desktops even with star backgrounds due to this floor the glow is not obvious.

Make of that what you will. Apologies for the quality and minimum effort but i think it conveys the general feel of things.

P.S I am waiting for longer cables so i can tidy up behind the monitor :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7hEbiYZu1o

Last edited:
Associate
Really interested in getting this screen.

Just wanted to know if 2 x Nvidia 670 in SLi will be good enough to power the screen until the new range of Nvidai cards come out early next year?

Associate
hi im new here but my questions are these.atm im using a sandybrige 2600k with an msi gtx9804g gfx card and running an eizo fs2333 ips monitor .this monitors native resolution is 1920x 1080 is the colors are good .I keep seeing in mags and online in forums how the 2560 x1440 x 144 MHz is the way forward .but nowhere does anyone appear to list the real world benefits of this .im toying with buying this monitor but not sure if my present gpu can run games maxxed on this. so im looking at a dtx980ti .the eizo tbh is ok but I feel that maybe with games like witcher 3 etc I will be left behind if I don't take the plunge lol .my currect games are witcher3 runs at oup to 60fps in 1080p eso run same dragon age inquisition same .would appreciate some comments .im also waiting for a review of the pg279q as although its pricey it would be a long term purchase ty all.

Associate
Buying a 980ti would be pointless if your staying with 1080p although 1440p is a fair bit more demanding so you would take a hit. You will still be able to run the modern games at good frame-rate if you are just sensible with your video settings and personally with a titan x (1400mhz) in my rig and this monitor i still turn my settings down a tiny bit just so i can stay in the 90-110fps silky smooth zone. If a setting seems to make no difference and robs me of 20 frames with the 165 ceiling now i just keep the frames up. Something like AO on max is a prime culprit and of course i never bother with the hairworks junk.

I would be tempted to say go for the monitor or other similar g-sync but its up to you whether you buy one now or wait for prices to fall a bit after Christmas. Having experienced g-sync now i would not want to give it up even it it meant using a slower card. Dont forget that you can squeeze more out of the card with g-sync, often 100% utilisation. The end result is a feeling much greater than i have had from any previous computer upgrade baring how amazing SSD first feels when you switch from HD.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom