ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 144hz 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync.

Associate
Just got this monitor in and setup. First impressions are very good re build quality and general use. Not tested it for gaming yet though which is obviously the bread and butter of this monitor.

Also tried it briefly with a PS4 via the HDMI port and the scaling is good enough for me.

Pics below:

CRrVjk5W0AQHlxy.jpg

CRrVjlvW0AAWaRv.jpg

Associate
It seems there is finally a monitor that is good enough for me.
One very slight concern that I have:
I currently play on a 1080p projector about 30% of the time.
My main screen is also 1080p so no issues there.
I wonder how to set it up once the two screens are different resolution?
Will I need to change the resolution every time?

Associate
It seems there is finally a monitor that is good enough for me.
One very slight concern that I have:
I currently play on a 1080p projector about 30% of the time.
My main screen is also 1080p so no issues there.
I wonder how to set it up once the two screens are different resolution?
Will I need to change the resolution every time?

You shouldn't have to as the projector acts on its own resolution and refresh rate similar to that of a monitor. So your Monitor 2 settings e.g your Projector will run independently from the resolution set on the ROG. You will only be able to run the setup as an Extended desktop and not a Duplicate setup.

However if you are only running one sreen at a time, technically speaking Windows wll default to the highest rez possible for that screen on boot.

Last edited:
Associate
Grand Theft Auto V
Asus ROG SWIFT PG279Q 165hz IPS and G-SYNC
Nvidia GeForce EVGA GTX 980ti
DRIVER: 358.50-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql

Footage recorded in dimmed room during daylight hours
Stock settings on monitor
Nvidia GeForce Experience OPTIMAL settings

https://youtu.be/MYu_ihit58Y

Mobster
Soldato
Just finished comparing the TN & IPS rogs.

At their highest refresh rates 144 vs 165 on witcher 3 getting 130fps with g-sync on. The IPS one has a nicer image due to lack of vertical gamma shift and thus the colours are rich across the whole screen and the lack of a grainy coating makes it look nicer. It has zero overshoot issues whereas the TN one has overshoot, especially noticable on the clouds in the sky. As far as blur goes on really fast pans the TN is slightly better but not to the extent of being a plus as overshoot is annoying. Best way to think of it is turning down monitor overdrive to lose overshoot and gain a tiny bit more blur. The input lag and response feels smooth and nice on both.

For reference my TN rog had perfect greyscale, colours and nice gamma after calibration and no backlight bleed. Although I have not calibrated my IPS one yet i can tell it looks accurate enough for comparison for now.

When using ULMB the TN rog still has overshoot which is annoying on the clouds on witcher 3 at 85hz or 120hz. Their are odd light ghosting bits as well. The IPS rog has much less overshoot but has a few more ghosting issues response time related as well on games. They both look pretty much blur free at 85hz which is easier to maintain 85fps across the whole of a game using v-sync. Due to each having seperate issues to slightly moan about I would call ULMB mode a draw.

I tried the PS4 and a 1080p sharpness test pattern and the scaling is of medium quality for me. Their is slight ringing on the test pattern and is not the best scaling i have seen for 1080p, an old iiyama 1440p was better. It's not really bad though and distance and your own expectations play a big part here. For me personally it's a little disappointing. Seen as the TN rog had no hdmi then this can only be seen as an advantage for most people.

The menus are just as responsive etc as the TN rog and have the same picture calibration options and overdrive off, medium and high. The joystick, buttons, including hz changing button are the same kind of layout.

If i had a choice i would get the IPS rog with it's only issues being the silvery IPS glow only visible on the right hand side of the panel in the corners as it's dark blue glow on the left and is not noticable. This is from a few ft back. Mine has very very minor BLB in the top right and bottom right corners but the silver glow hides it anyway. Also the slight response related ghosting in ULMB mode on certain transitions. Other than that it's great.
The TN rog issues would be overshoot in both normal and ULMB modes. The TN vertical gamma shift. Lack of hdmi for consoles (if needed) and slight ULMB light ghosting and the grainy panel coating.

For me the IPS rog wins as their are not that many games with dark scenes compared to bright and that is it's biggest issue and you can always dim the backlight and dim the image even more using ULMB.

Was it not nice to look at the middle of the screen on the IPS, not move your head but your eyes to any corner or side of the screen and not see ridiculous colour shift ?

Associate
Was it not nice to look at the middle of the screen on the IPS, not move your head but your eyes to any corner or side of the screen and not see ridiculous colour shift ?

TN is not that bad TBH and some IPS screens i have used have had non perfect viewing angles if you look from above or below or off axis. To answer your question yes it's nice to not have the lighter portion at the bottom and darker portion at the top of TN with otherwise similar specced monitor. I just wish they could do something about the IPS glow which is one thing i love about TN in darker games.

Last edited:
Caporegime
imo, IPS is better all round for dark content unless you are viewing the monitor from an angle then that is where IPS glow presents a problem, otherwise, I actually find IPS to be better for details + blacks for head on viewing (especially when paired with LED strip back lighting)

In theory, with the lower contrast ratio of TN panels (about 900:1) compared to IPS (1000-1300:1), you should see less detail in the darker areas on TN than with IPS i.e. how do these images look on both screens:

http://i.imgur.com/jOTOiE5.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/cAfjsCZ.png

http://i.imgur.com/Q2OA8Qn.png

Soldato
imo, IPS is better all round for dark content unless you are viewing the monitor from an angle then that is where IPS glow presents a problem, otherwise, I actually find IPS to be better for details + blacks for head on viewing (especially when paired with LED strip back lighting)

In theory, with the lower contrast ratio of TN panels (about 900:1) compared to IPS (1000-1300:1), you should see less detail in the darker areas on TN than with IPS i.e. how do these images look on both screens:

http://i.imgur.com/jOTOiE5.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/cAfjsCZ.png

http://i.imgur.com/Q2OA8Qn.png

Unfortunately 'IPS glow' eats away at detail on a screen of this size even from a normal centralised viewing position. It certainly 'blooms out' off angle and becomes more noticeable, but it also affects the experience during normal viewing as well.

Soldato
Thinking about selling off my Dell U2515H for this monitor. Only got the Dell as stop gap untill there was a decent high refresh IPS monitor on the market. Despite the Acer XB270HU disappointment, the gsync combined with high refresh rate and IPS colours was amazing.

At the same time that £750 price tag is going to leave me begging on the street. :(

Last edited:
Associate
Thinking about selling off my Dell U2515H for this monitor. Only got the Dell as stop gap untill there was a decent high refresh IPS monitor on the market. Despite the Acer XB270HU disappointment, the gsync combined with high refresh rate and IPS colours was amazing.

At the same time that £750 price tag is going to leave me begging on the street. :(

Buy now pay next october 2016 ..

Associate
Just got mine setup, very nice so far. Bit of glow when in a dark room but not too noticeable to me (camera picks it up with ease though).

5qjbzB4.jpg.png
Y11DJGv.jpg.png

Out of interest, how do you check GSync/144Hz is working? (first time being on the green team)

Associate
well if the red light is on then G-sync is enbaled ...Nvidia now enables it in windows and ingame so its on all the time ... Just go to menu on the monitor and it will say ever NORMAL MODE which is no G-sync OR will say G-SYNC MODE ..

Associate
Just got round to setting up mine. I took some photos of it next to my Dell U2913wm. Sorry if they are a bit blurry, damn phone wouldn't focus properly.

Is this level of glow normal? I thought my U2913wm wasn't great, but this screen has way more! It looks basically grey when my dell looks relatively black.

Especially looking at an angle from the left. Plus the screen has 2 easily identifiable dead pixels, one at the top/centre and one bottom left :mad:

Associate
I all ready own PG278Q which is a blinding monitor for gaming and day to day work,

And really cant seem to get my head round is it worth spending £750 bucks to move to IPS ? I know allot of you will say well yeah its totally worth it , What i want to see is some one here that owns both PG278Q & PG279Q to have them side by side and have the same settings on each monitor and then take photos or videos in a well lighted room not in the dark ,People here seem to be focusing on taking them all in the dark .

With out having one here my self its abit hard to get some idea of what this monitor is like ,I've never owned an IPS ,They have all ways been tn panels ( For Gaming ).. But i do understand that isp panels are meant to be better colors correct ?

All so just read this is still 8bit ,And there was me thinking IPS was 10bit so this monitor is not a true IPS monitor ..

Last edited:
Associate
appreciate the videos you're putting up muleman :)

Cheers mate.
Last couple tonight..

Asus ROG SWIFT PG279Q GTA V LETS DRIVE
https://youtu.be/p6JEiIKuRZo

Asus ROG SWIFT PG279Q GTA V
aka Push me and you'll swim with the fishes.. promise! lol
https://youtu.be/MiWC13VPrhY

I'll do a few Alien dark scenes tomorrow and flick through all the presets while on a game (scenery, racing, cinema, rts/rpg and sRGB modes). Should see the difference between each.

Back
Top Bottom