Avengers: Infinity War (2018) - *** WARNING: SPOILERS ***

Caporegime
I am floored.

I've always felt the villains in the mcu were kinda weak but Thanos was amazing. Love the depth they gave him.

I said today to a friend who is a massive massive Star Wars fan that I think the MCU movies makes Star Wars look dull and Thanos is a better drawn villain than Vader. He was like “okay that’s 2 strikes for you.”

Soldato
1) Having read the Infinity Gauntlet years ago, nothing was 'shocking' and even if I hadn't have read it, Marvel have already announced GotG3, Black Panther 2 and Spiderman 2, so... yeah. Also notice how all the characters left alive are the ones whose contracts are up, so this time next year the only people that'll be dead-dead or hanging up their boots will be people like RDJ.
2) I knew they'd job the Black Order and they did, but they got Ebony Maw bang on at least
3) lol@Peter Dinklage being a giant
4) Dr. Strange knows the ending, and knows they have to lose to win (or something like that).
5) Feels weird knowing there's only going to be 2 Marvel films between now and Avengers 4, one of which I'm indifferent about (Ant Man and the Wasp) and one of which I'm interested (Captain Marvel) because the character is so overpowered.
6) It'll be interesting to see how they 'undo' everything without falling into the 'and it was all just a dream' territory.

I get the feeling they won't go with the same flaw that cost Thanos in the comics; that deep down he doesn't truly believe he's worthy of ultimate victory, so always subconsciously creates a flaw or something his enemies can exploit to win.

Last edited:
Associate
Wonder how long it'll be til the avengers 4 title is announced, i was thinking whatever happened at the end would make whatever the next film is loosely based on clear but no

Soldato
1) Having read the Infinity Gauntlet years ago, nothing was 'shocking' and even if I hadn't have read it, Marvel have already announced GotG3, Black Panther 2 and Spiderman 2, so... yeah. Also notice how all the characters left alive are the ones whose contracts are up, so this time next year the only people that'll be dead-dead or hanging up their boots will be people like RDJ.
2) I knew they'd job the Black Order and they did, but they got Ebony Maw bang on at least
3) lol@Peter Dinklage being a giant
4) Dr. Strange knows the ending, and knows they have to lose to win (or something like that).
5) Feels weird knowing there's only going to be 2 Marvel films between now and Avengers 4, one of which I'm indifferent about (Ant Man and the Wasp) and one of which I'm interested (Captain Marvel) because the character is so overpowered.
6) It'll be interesting to see how they 'undo' everything without falling into the 'and it was all just a dream' territory.

I get the feeling they won't go with the same flaw that cost Thanos in the comics; that deep down he doesn't truly believe he's worthy of ultimate victory, so always subconsciously creates a flaw or something his enemies can exploit to win.
What is a bit annoying is the way Brolin talks about :
The finality of Thanos as a character when there is so much more to the way the character can be used. Many a time he has teamed up to fight threats with Warlock greater than themselves. It looks like the MCU are going to finish him off

Soldato
isn't this the spoiler thread? i don't know why people are using spoiler tags?

Anyway - i loved it - it was everything modern star wars should be but wasn't.

Soldato

I wonder if there will be a reversal in IW4 where all those currently alive swap with all those currently dust?

Soldato
Why did the Hulk
Feature in the trailer running behind Captain America in Wakanda when he refused to show his face throughout the entire film after being knocked out by Thanos?

Caporegime
OP
isn't this the spoiler thread? i don't know why people are using spoiler tags?

Anyway - i loved it - it was everything modern star wars should be but wasn't.

As I've said above, to prevent anyone stumbling across the thread from 'new posts' or being linked to the posts by someone feeling evil.

Caporegime
Why did the Hulk
Feature in the trailer running behind Captain America in Wakanda when he refused to show his face throughout the entire film after being knocked out by Thanos?

Misdirection

Marvel do it all the time. Prior to Thor: Ragarok there was a Disney expo trailer for Infinity war and it never showed Thor without his eye even though in the final film it was the scene with Thanos on the Asgardian ship before
Rocket racoon gave him a new one

Soldato
I wonder if there will be a reversal in IW4 where all those currently alive swap with all those currently dust?

I think what's most likely, is that OG Avengers characters like Cap and Iron Man will sacrifice themselves getting the Gauntlet off Thanos. This frees the actors up after 10 years of having to schedule their life around Marvel films and by having lots of the newer cast 'dead' gives them more screen-time to go out on a high.

Then you need a being powerful enough to wield the gauntlet to undo the damage. Step in Captain Marvel who we know is going to be the most powerful hero in the MCU, is getting her own film set in the 90's which is out next year before AV4 and is most likely fulfilling the role of Adam Warlock in the comics, since Warlock is at best going to only appear in GotG3 which is a Phase 4 film (AV4 is going to be the final Phase 3 film).

Any character turned to dust can be brought back. Gamora's fate is tied to the Soul Stone in some way, so has the potential to be brought back (we also know from James Gunn that GotG3 is at heart a Gamora film, as she took more of a back seat in GotG2, and Gunn posts updates about the film on his Facebook page from time to time).

Soldato
I think what's most likely, is that OG Avengers characters like Cap and Iron Man will sacrifice themselves getting the Gauntlet off Thanos. This frees the actors up after 10 years of having to schedule their life around Marvel films and by having lots of the newer cast 'dead' gives them more screen-time to go out on a high.

Then you need a being powerful enough to wield the gauntlet to undo the damage. Step in Captain Marvel who we know is going to be the most powerful hero in the MCU, is getting her own film set in the 90's which is out next year before AV4 and is most likely fulfilling the role of Adam Warlock in the comics, since Warlock is at best going to only appear in GotG3 which is a Phase 4 film (AV4 is going to be the final Phase 3 film).

Any character turned to dust can be brought back. Gamora's fate is tied to the Soul Stone in some way, so has the potential to be brought back (we also know from James Gunn that GotG3 is at heart a Gamora film, as she took more of a back seat in GotG2, and Gunn posts updates about the film on his Facebook page from time to time).

I don't think Gammora is staying dead, like you said, likely tied to the soul stone, plus the 3 GOTG movies need to be coherent with each other, you couldn't suddenly have her alive in GOTG 3 when she's dead in the universe, or all of a sudden she's dead in GOTG 3 with no explanation between that and GOTG 2.

The only characters that I think have actually died are Loki, Heimdall and Vision. The other "real" deaths will come in Avengers 4, seems intriguing the people who are left after the snap are basically the original Avengers, being those who are more likely to duck out after Avengers 4, thus it'll likely be a swap, people who were dusted before will come back with the power of the gauntlet, but will die in the process, save for a few such as Hulk. Strange knew Stark had to live to have a chance in beating Thanos, so it seems likely Stark will die in Avengers 4 as a sacrifice to save everyone, it also goes along with him making Spiderman a part of the avengers in this film, to pass the baton to the new avengers after Avengers 4.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think Gammora is staying dead, like you said, likely tied to the soul stone, plus the 3 GOTG movies need to be coherent with each other, you couldn't suddenly have her alive in GOTG 3 when she's dead in the universe, or all of a sudden she's dead in GOTG 3 with no explanation between that and GOTG 2.

The only characters that I think have actually died are Loki, Heimdall and Vision. The other "real" deaths will come in Avengers 4, seems intriguing the people who are left after the snap are basically the original Avengers, being those who are more likely to duck out after Avengers 4, thus it'll likely be a swap, people who were dusted before will come back with the power of the gauntlet, but will die in the process, save for a few such as Hulk. Strange knew Stark had to live to have a chance in beating Thanos, so it seems likely Stark will die in Avengers 4 as a sacrifice to save everyone, it also goes along with him making Spiderman a part of the avengers in this film, to pass the baton to the new avengers after Avengers 4.
Interesting theory.
I hope Thanos doesn't die because it will be inconsistent with who he is to become. He evolves to become death itself

Soldato
Interesting theory.
I hope Thanos doesn't die because it will be inconsistent with who he is to become. He evolves to become death itself

This is the MCU not the comics - abstract cosmic entities like Death, Infinity, Eternity and the Living Tribunal aren't shown as existing, hence why Thanos's motivations have become dumbed down somewhat from trying to impress or win the heart of Death to just killing half the universe's population for vague scarcity reasons. In the comics Thanos has died and been reborn more times than I can remember, he's been a villain and a reluctant (anti) hero, but I'm pretty sure he'll suffer the same fate as all the other MCU baddies eventually, since this universe is more fleeting than the endless cycles on comic-ville.

Soldato
This is the MCU not the comics - abstract cosmic entities like Death, Infinity, Eternity and the Living Tribunal aren't shown as existing, hence why Thanos's motivations have become dumbed down somewhat from trying to impress or win the heart of Death to just killing half the universe's population for vague scarcity reasons. In the comics Thanos has died and been reborn more times than I can remember, he's been a villain and a reluctant (anti) hero, but I'm pretty sure he'll suffer the same fate as all the other MCU baddies eventually, since this universe is more fleeting than the endless cycles on comic-ville.
The Celestials are shown to having existed as are the Elders and Galactus along with the Surfer have recently been acquired so I imagine it is just a matter of time. Last week the Directors of Infinity war were expressing an interest in Secret Wars and that is full of Abstracts. It's a little unclear as to which secret wars was being referred to? If its the first one then there are no abstracts in that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom