Baldur's Gate 3

Soldato
I've just about cleared the underdark and really enjoying it so far. However, I haven't changed any members of my team since the start. I currently have Lae'zel, Shadowheart, Gale and me as a barbarian but should I be swapping characters all the time? I know I'll miss their storylines if I don't but I'm managing everything now and can't really be bothered TBH!
I have stuck with the same team all the way through, you can talk to everyone at camp to progress their stories anyway.

Soldato
I've just about cleared the underdark and really enjoying it so far. However, I haven't changed any members of my team since the start. I currently have Lae'zel, Shadowheart, Gale and me as a barbarian but should I be swapping characters all the time? I know I'll miss their storylines if I don't but I'm managing everything now and can't really be bothered TBH!
So have and I'm about to get to act 3. You can talk to them all at camp. I do plan on doing multiple playthroughs so I will get to see all the companions in my party at some point.

Soldato

It's worth taking along certain characters for quests that are important to them, or ones that overlap with them for sure....but it's not critical. Once I got a party makeup I liked I didn't really change either. It's one of the reasons I disliked introducing certain characters so late in the game; I didn't want to disrupt the dynamic nor re-learn my process to crowbar them in, which is a shame as they're iconic and brilliant.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just finished it. Not sure what all the talk about it being incomplete and act3 being awful compared to the others. Thoroughly enjoyable throughout but going to be a long time before I play through again I think. 80 hours in total, definitely got my moneys worth! Might give Skyrim a go now, not played on it on the PC before so can do some modding.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Gets much easier tbh in later acts. There are few battles which spike, but nothing major. I did not take any powers, so imagine with some of those may be even easier. I think at later levels your powers, abilities and gear become very potent.

Yeah, you're not wrong. Started tailing off around Act 2. Haven't played in a while as it's just devolved into simple melee combat/shooting arrows. Shadowheart might throw down a heal once in a while. Boring.

Got all these fancy spells and potions but it's all just fluff. Larian really are a bit soft and need to man up with the difficulties as tactician feels the equivalent of 'very easy' at this point. Just give us more and keep the option to change. I mean some devs make difficulty levels they deem impossible or do it as a joke and they still get beat.

Associate
Got an update on the Deck yesterday, quick download but was taking hours to apply (at one point the completion estimate said "> 1year" :D )

Ended up uninstalling and redownloading, but it now has FSR 2.2. Giving it a try.

Associate
Got an update on the Deck yesterday, quick download but was taking hours to apply (at one point the completion estimate said "> 1year" :D )

Ended up uninstalling and redownloading, but it now has FSR 2.2. Giving it a try.
Took me about an hour and a half to apply the update on my steamdeck

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Golden Joystick Awards for 2023 just finished, big wins for Baldurs Gate 3.

Won :

Best Story Award
Best Visual Design
Larian Studios won Best Game Studio
Best Game Community Award
Best Supporting Performer for the Voice Actor of Astarion
PC Game of the Year 2023
Overall Game of the Year 2023

Cant remember the last time a game picked up 7 awards in one sweep.

Soldato
Baldurs Gate 3 has cleaned house at the golden joystick awards winning 7 awards. Those are:

PC game of the year
Overall game of the year
Users voting game of the year
Best Storytelling
Best Visual design
Best community game
Best actor supporting performance

Could this be a sign of many more victories to come for BG3 during the awards season? Time will tell

Caporegime
It's nothing like "proper" D&D with a good DM, and until LLM AI underpins games, it never will be. But it's a fun jaunt in the same universe.

Yeah I get the feeling it's great if you like computer games and don't play dnd. But as I play regularly I wonder if it will Just feel a bit "dull".

Like when you read a great book and make a film and it's not quite the same.

Back
Top Bottom