Baldur's Gate 3

Man of Honour
Yeah I get the feeling it's great if you like computer games and don't play dnd. But as I play regularly I wonder if it will Just feel a bit "dull".

Like when you read a great book and make a film and it's not quite the same.
If it helps, I like computer games and I do play D&D :)

BG3 is perfect for some D&D-esque fun when your friends arent available to meet up for a D&D session or for when you all just want to kick back and play something D&D-like with something more visual. It does things that proper D&D cannot do and doesnt do things that proper D&D can do and likewise, D&D does things that BG3 cannot do and doesnt do things that BG3 can do, imo...the two compliment each other wonderfully rather than needing to be a replacement for the other.

Caporegime
If it helps, I like computer games and I do play D&D :)

BG3 is perfect for some D&D-esque fun when your friends arent available to meet up for a D&D session or for when you all just want to kick back and play something D&D-like with something more visual. It does things that proper D&D cannot do and doesnt do things that proper D&D can do and likewise, D&D does things that BG3 cannot do and doesnt do things that BG3 can do, imo...the two compliment each other wonderfully rather than needing to be a replacement for the other.

One thing I don't quite get. Do you play one character or many? Because obviously DnD is group based and you're always never on your own.

Man of Honour
One thing I don't quite get. Do you play one character or many? Because obviously DnD is group based and you're always never on your own.
For BG3? I play one character, we each play one character. I mostly dont solo BG3, we all co-op it together like a more visual D&D session for when we cant all get together or we just want to do some RP with visuals

Last edited:
Man of Honour
i think @413x means do you control all the characters inthe party and in SP yes you do
In SP yeah but I dont often SP a game that has co-op. Most of the time when playing BG3 , its co-op 4 player with the people that I would play D&D with. Which is why its still a great game even for people who do play D&D because its just another way that you and your D&D group can RP together.

Caporegime
Ah yeah I think I'd end up playing solo as few other online game friends I have bought it already and played it solo.

I rarely play games now because I sit in front of the PC all day at work at home and just don't feel like playing solo in front of a screen after work.

I get this game much more of you're playing coop. That sounds quite fun.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I get this game much more of you're playing coop. That sounds quite fun.
Yeah its superb co-op, as are most games really. Like you I sit in front of a PC all day for work, then I spend another 50+ hours a week gaming in front of a PC after work lol. Wrecked my eyesight over the decades but had a blast with friends and my other half while doing it :D

Caporegime
Yeah its superb co-op, as are most games really. Like you I sit in front of a PC all day for work, then I spend another 50+ hours a week gaming in front of a PC after work lol. Wrecked my eyesight over the decades but had a blast with friends and my other half while doing it :D

Wonder if I can get my current dnd group to give it a go.
But def don't want to send our in person dnd online!

Caporegime
Thinking about playing this with my two sons and getting them it for Christmas, but not even a sign of a discount anywhere yet and CDkeys out of stock. Hope it'll get a 25% reduction at least as I'm Scottish and therefore tight.

Associate
If you get into it you can defiantly get your moneys worth, there's a way to use a VPN Ukraine to access GOG, that works as used it before myself.
Thinking about playing this with my two sons and getting them it for Christmas, but not even a sign of a discount anywhere yet and CDkeys out of stock. Hope it'll get a 25% reduction at least as I'm Scottish and therefore tight.

Last edited:
Associate
bg3_dx11_2023-11-14_23-30-31.png

And the coop game is done. :D

Enjoyed it a lot, some downs and ups but doing it on voice with three other mates was great. It also meant that combat was generally easy, we knew our characters and the quirks of the game, could all discuss tactics etc. It was strange not doing anything with the main companions though, we spoke to them but that was it. Meant we missed a lot of content but gained in other ways. I'll never see those cutscenes / dialogue from ignoring people if not for coop. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
If you get into it you can defiantly get your moneys worth, there's a way to use a VPN Ukraine to access GOG, that works as used it before myself.

I think they fixed that now. I tried recently and once you enter payment details it knows and updates the price :(

I got Witcher 3 on release day for £12 using that though. You don't pay VAT that way so it's a bit dodgy, but tha tax man isn't going to care about such a small amount.

Last edited:
Caporegime
bg3_dx11_2023-11-14_23-30-31.png

And the coop game is done. :D

Enjoyed it a lot, some downs and ups but doing it on voice with three other mates was great. It also meant that combat was generally easy, we knew our characters and the quirks of the game, could all discuss tactics etc. It was strange not doing anything with the main companions though, we spoke to them but that was it. Meant we missed a lot of content but gained in other ways. I'll never see those cutscenes / dialogue from ignoring people if not for coop. :)

In coop. How does PC to NPC work?

Is it like DnD. Where only the PC sees the conversation? And the other PCs don't? Unless they are right there?

Last edited:
Associate

Is it like DnD. Where only the PC sees the conversation? And the other PCs don't? Unless they are right there?
When a player is having a conversation with an NPC, the other players can either choose to listen in on the conversation to see the dialogue (they can also click to vote on what they think the person who triggered the dialogue should say), or they can go do their own thing and be blissfully unaware of what their fellow party member is saying to an NPC.

If players want to not miss anything of the dialogue, there's also an option in the settings to auto join conversations that other players initiate.

Associate

As Suenstar says, but I will say it's a bit iffy overall. It's still really just a single player game, that lets everyone have their own character and act as the main-character. You're still viewed as one person for consequences. It was alright at putting us all into cutscenes so while only one person leads it and selects the choices, you can at least see everyone standing in the background.

The option to auto join dialog is a bit toxic though I found. It's useful but it pulls you in when anyone is talking to anyone. Two second talk with a random npc, you'll be pulled in, in time for it to end. Talk to a trader and you'll get pulled in but you don't see their inventory.

Soldato
Think I'll go tactian on my next playthrough, kinda breezed normal mode so far, currently in act 3 and the game isn't very challenging kinda don't need to put too much thinking in combat. Love the story and everything else about it so far.

Back
Top Bottom