Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Soldato
Let me sum it up...Batman, Wayne, WW, Alfred...excellent

Lex, Superman, Shoehorned JLA...bad

Should have just made a solo Batman movie written, directed by and starring Batfleck

Soldato
This is in the works isn't it? He was very good in the role.

Yeah, one thing all the critics seem to be united in was how good he was in the role. I truly feel Affleck has proven himself as both actor and director in recent years.

I just wish they'd taken their time over it instead of rushing to catch up with marvel.

Should have been Man Of Steel > Batman > Wonder Woman, then JLA...skip this whole BvS nonsense. It worked well throughout the comics but doesn't translate well in a movie.

Soldato
From watching the extended, it improved the film by removing doubt on certain matters, and left in no doubt that everyone was figuring out Lex was behind the lot.
I just didn't like the scripting for Lex, the background plan was fine, the playing one off against another, the manipulations, all fine, but the crazy zany spack head semi-jokeresque behaviour and associated scripting was unnecessary.

Still the worst bit of the film, otherwise acceptable.

Caporegime
Yeah, one thing all the critics seem to be united in was how good he was in the role. I truly feel Affleck has proven himself as both actor and director in recent years.

I just wish they'd taken their time over it instead of rushing to catch up with marvel.

Should have been Man Of Steel > Batman > Wonder Woman, then JLA...skip this whole BvS nonsense. It worked well throughout the comics but doesn't translate well in a movie.

Have to agree with this. It's like they're trying to play catch up. Or are being greedy. Standalone Batman film should have been next, then WW, perhaps a Cyborg/Flash/aquaman joint movie with Supes/Batman teaser/cameo then JL. They have no need to play catchup, if the movies are good enough people will watch them both regardless.

Associate
I gave up watching after an hour or so no idea what was going on.
In fact at one point i thought i was watching another film.
Would have been better as a batman film as his grump with superman didnt make sense.

Caporegime
Almost 3 hours for the extended cut, the theatrical release was hard enough to sit through, just waffle followed by more waffle, followed by me wanting to kick Jesse Eisenberg straight in the taint, irritating little ****.:mad:

Soldato
Try watching the extended cut. You may find that it flows better and makes more sense - regardless of whether certain characters and motivations are still stupid.

Tbh, a lot of stuff in this does kind of require a bit of comic knowledge to get a fuller understanding of what's going in certain places.
Great for nerds, not so much for the average viewer...

It doesn't help that they've taken a lot from different comic sources and tried to make them work with each other, while changing major points from those sources.

Last edited:

Si.

Si.

Soldato
I must be in the minority.. loved the extended version, 3 hours passed really quickly which shows it's an engrossing version. Loved Batfleck, wasn't fan of the take on Luthor but that's the only minor point for me.

The extended version is a MUCH better version and should have been what they released at the Cinema despite it's length. Defiantly my favourite batman movie of them all.

Watched extended cut. If that was the better version I would hate to sit through the theatrical showing. I like Affleck as Batman and Cavill could be a good superman I only hope that both of them eventually get a film that is worth watching as this wasn't it.

Quite honestly it was a mess of plot holes and stupid behaviour to forward what was a very basic plot.

Soldato
Saw the ultimate edition as well. What a terrible film.

Superman is also simply too overpowered for a fight between Batman and Superman to make any sense.

The story was an awful one as well. It should have been more about Doomsday.

Soldato
I'm not trying to defend this film too hard, but they kinda did show how it could make sense :)

If it was a straight out death battle, then Superman would obviously turn Bats into a stain within a second.

Soldato
Saw this today. Absolutely awful imo. Yea some of the action sequences were impressive but the whole thing felt like a load of high budget scenes l which had been strung together for no apparent reason. This was certainly the case for the first hour and a bit, although granted when Doomsday came out there was some actual logical storytelling, albeit in a completely mindless manner.

The flashbacks/dreams earlier on felt very odd and really ruined the pacing. I get that they weren't real but I really did feel confused about what was going on.

Soldato
Am I the only one who loved the extended version? So much so that iv watched it twice now and didn't feel that it dragged at all. I was very engrossed in the movie from start to finish and felt that it flows and feels a much better story than the theatrical version.
I think in time this will be viewed as one of the better superhero movies as its very different from the Marvel ones. I loved Affleck as Batman and I'm looking forward to his solo film. His fighting was so much better than the Bale movies and it actually looked like he could fight all the guys at once where Bale just looked slow and awkward.
Anyone who doesn't like the length, most of the best movies of all time are 3+hours. Aslong as the story is interesting and it keeps me glued to the screen I wouldn't care if it was 5 hours.

The only thing I would change about this is they shouldn't have stuck in all the Justice League stuff. Wait till you have solo movies before you do that and Doomsday should be been a endgame villan not a quick kill at the end of this. From reading about him in the comics he adapts to most threats and seems close to unkillable.

Soldato
Okay - so I've not read any of the previous comments in this thread but I have just finished watching this movie.

And I have to admit I was really surprised as I quite enjoyed it:

1. Ben Affleck was as expected portraying Batman.
  2. Henry Cavill was as expected portraying Superman.
  3. Jeremy Irons was just brilliant as Alfred!
  4. Gal Gaot is hotter than Satan's first dump after a phaal curry in her portrayal as Wonder Woman.
  5. Jesse Eisenberg Strikes me as trying to give his best performance ever and failing on epic proportions. I was always reminded of Heath Ledger's performance in the Dark Knight crossed with Johnny Depp's character acting as Captain Jack Sparrow and it just didn't work out at all in my humble opinion

Having said all that - I still loved the movie. The CGI was great as was the (rather obvious) story line and it leaves audiences waiting to see what happens in the sequel!

Man of Honour
Saw this today. Absolutely awful imo. Yea some of the action sequences were impressive but the whole thing felt like a load of high budget scenes l which had been strung together for no apparent reason. This was certainly the case for the first hour and a bit, although granted when Doomsday came out there was some actual logical storytelling, albeit in a completely mindless manner.

The flashbacks/dreams earlier on felt very odd and really ruined the pacing. I get that they weren't real but I really did feel confused about what was going on.

Saw it recently and thought it quite poor - need to seriously disengage brain to enjoy it due to so much feeling contrived or there for the sake of it.

I enjoyed some bits in isolation but I agree the whole felt horridly strung together and I struggled with how poorly written some bits were i.e. where one character pauses to give the other character a chance in a situation where that just wouldn't happen.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The dream sequences of a corrupted superman imo would have made for a much better movie, the trailers obviously tried to wrong foot everyone into thinking that was the story-line before showing them as dream sequences in the final movie. Sadly they were some of the more interesting parts of it.

Back
Top Bottom