Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Caporegime
I am speculating so it is a possible future movie spoiler so only click if you really want to know.

Last chance

It was the Flash. It is also "hinting" a possible future called Injustice and l am leaving it at that :)
Pretty much what Im looking forward to - really is fantastical just like some of the X-Men stuff...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Associate
It's a complete mess tbh, but I'll admit Gal Gadot seriously surprised me as Wonder Woman, if there's positive out this dismal entry it's her and going forward the one film that I want to see on day one out of this new DC cinematic universe it's the Wonder Woman one.

When between various media, reboots and alternative reality stories there must legitimately be a couple of hundred stories focusing on the first meeting between Batman and Superman it's amazing they didn't take a page from them and managed to **** it up so badly.

Oh and as for the comment a few posts back about people not liking it because of fatigue at the genre, absolute *******s. I'm stoked for Civil War, I love pretty all the currently airing comic shows (except maybe Arrow in it's current state), I'm hyped for the Supergirl/Flash crossover tonight, it's nothing to do with genre fatigue it's to do with this film being an unfocused mess that rushes from half baked plot point to half baked plot point because they tried to do far too much too quickly.

Man of Honour
I'm fatigued by the genre. Too many 'high stakes' clash of titans with no real threat to any of the major characters... no threat = not exciting!

Soldato
That's probably the best Outlook, too many people jumping onto the bandwagon and giving ridiculous scores and reviews. there was flaws but by all means was not 2 or 3 out of 10 which is unfair. I suspect the studio had a hand in this. Zach was probably told he had to fit required parts into this movie, inc JLA.

To be fair I don't exactly think many people jumped on the bandwagon, most of the reviews I've read where the film has been slated have given fairly reasonable assessments and arguments as to why it was a mess, in their eyes.

Basically from a critical perspective it appears to have not went down well but fans are enjoying it. I'm no DC fanboy but I enjoyed it enought that in my opinion it was a 7/10. There's always going to be people who hate a film for various reasons and to be honest it's hard to call a review unfair based on someone's opinion which does appear to be shared almost universally across the board from a critique perspective.

Soldato
I've not read the comics, comics have never been my thing, they seem to lack substance. So as a non-comic reader, which I would guess makes up a large percentage of the viewers... what the **** is batman doing fighting superman? The whole idea just seems ridiculous.

Perhaps someone could explain briefly how it came about, a little background would definitely help here.

I've not read the comics, comics have never been my thing, they seem to lack substance. So as a non-comic reader, which I would guess makes up a large percentage of the viewers... what the **** is batman doing fighting superman? The whole idea just seems ridiculous.

Perhaps someone could explain briefly how it came about, a little background would definitely help here.

I havent seen the film yet so cant comment on the why's, as for comics lacking substance, do yourself a favour and get 'Dark Knight Returns', you'll never look at 'comics' the same way again. As for why they fight in the graphic novel...
Batman not towing the 'political' line and being made out to be a menace by lefties, Superman gets sent by the powers that be to have a word with him because he's now a lapdog for whoever is running 'murica.

Soldato
OP

As you said, you've not read the comics. So, I will give you a brief run-down:

In Man Of Steel (which I imagined you watched), Metropolis was pretty much destroyed after the battle between Zod and Superman (not to mention that Zod caused more destruction using the world engine).

At this time, Bruce Wayne came to Metropolis as his building (Wayne Financial) was in the middle of said battle and was destroyed. Seeing that Superman and Zod were the cause, decides to embark on a one man crusade to rid the world of Superman. As he see him as a threat.

Enter, Lex Luthor and Kryptonite. Bruce Wayne steals the Kryptonite from Lex to use against Superman. However, here's the twist: Lex knows that Superman and Clark Kent are the same person and he uses Martha Kent as insurance against Superman. Basically fight Batman to the death or your mother dies.

Instead Superman tries to reason with Batman to get him to help stop Lex from killing Martha Kent. Batman is not willing to listen and that's why they fight.

The movie is influenced by The Dark Knight Returns (by Alan Moore back in 1985), but also by The Death Of Superman (DC Comics' biggest selling graphics novel of all time), hence Superman dying at the end of the fight with Doomsday (the only creature to have killed Superman in the comics way back in 1992).

Last edited:
Soldato

It's explained in the movie and is perhaps one of the the main reason for going to see it?

Last edited:
Soldato
star wars tfa made $529 in its opening weekend, cinema doesn't need to actually be any good any more, the priority is quite clearly different.

cause like swtfa this is also incredibly shiny dung.

The problem with movies these days is they are riding on the coat tails of either a franchise or predecessors.
Starwars was always going to be huge no matter what, as are most of these super hero movies.
Had the new Star Wars been called "Space Adventure!" and wasn't affaliated it would have got average reviews and made average money.

Same applies to all of them.

Soldato
Talking with folks about this at work today and something is apparent. Comic book movie casuals are all saying how bad it is. Anyone who has more than a passing interest in Batman is really happy with Afflecks portrayal and generally enjoyed the movie. What's consistent amongst all of us is that Doomsday is poor and no one cares that Superman was in the film.

Soldato
Went over the weekend with my son. I loved it personally, great film and my son also really enjoyed it. Highlight of the film was of course Batman, really cant wait until his solo efforts. This was the Batman I've been waiting for, total bad *** in every sense.

Couple of low points though, Jesse Eisenberg being the main one. Really didn't like his portrayal of Lex (they should have gone with Bryan Cranston :(). Also felt like too much was being crammed into the film, a problem with every super hero movie so far with more than 2 'heroes'.

Overall a solid 8 out of 10 from me

Soldato

It's from Dark Knight Returns, the seminal comic book by Frank Miller that arguably kicked off the modern era of superhero films with Tim Burton's Batman. Batman is retired, superheroes are outlawed, and Superman acts as the Unites States hero deterrent and enforces the ban. Bruce Wayne pretty much has a pychotic break and comes back to clean up the cesspit that Gotham has become, and Superman gets sent to stop him, hence the confrontation.

I'll let Wikipedia do the plot spoiling for you. Although the BvS movie doesn't follow that plot, it does copy some of the main ideas and iconic imagery (such as Bruce Wayne in an armoured Batsuit taking on Superman). In the comics, it's a much more nuanced thing, with two old friends on different sides of the same fence, dealing with personal responsibility of those who can change the world and humanity's place in it.

If there's one Batman comic to read, Dark Knight Returns is it.

Last edited:

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Went over the weekend with my son. I loved it personally, great film and my son also really enjoyed it. Highlight of the film was of course Batman, really cant wait until his solo efforts. This was the Batman I've been waiting for, total bad *** in every sense.

Couple of low points though, Jesse Eisenberg being the main one. Really didn't like his portrayal of Lex (they should have gone with Bryan Cranston :(). Also felt like too much was being crammed into the film, a problem with every super hero movie so far with more than 2 'heroes'.

Overall a solid 8 out of 10 from me

Totally agree, Ben Affleck was getting a lot of stick when it was announced he was Batman. So imo he proved a lot of people wrong and perhaps got more fans than before because his portrayal was so good. Like you, cant wait until he in a solo movie because he really brought the character to life, better than anyone before, imo of course :p.

Rumour has it Bryan Cranston was up for the movie and mostly because of the very good fan response and support for Lex Luthor. So he was starting talks and even audition for it.

At the same time, Jesse Eisenberg audition for the role of Jimmy Olsen. Zach Snyder loved him so much he dropped Bryan for Jesse. So quite baffelling again imo why he opted for Jesse's Lex when Bryan could most likely be better. But again director choice so he obviously had a vision and got what he wanted for Lex's role which for many fans ended up, perhaps miscasting and hurting the movie. *rumours of course"

CK61938 - dude, posting a synopsis of the entire movie, even in a spoiler tag. You are giving the whole thing away. not cool.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom