Battlefield 3 thread - Server details in opening post -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Whenever I have played in the past I always went on the redone BF2 maps. Are you referring to the original BF3 maps i.e. Caspian Border etc as I never thought much of them.

EDIT: More info

Maps I know I like so far are BF2 ones, Donya Fortress and Grand Bazaar. What maps are most like these?

Original maps, caspian border, operation metro, operation firestorm, damavand peak, noshahr canals, tehran highway, seine crossing, kharg island and grand bazaar.

Maps most similar to grand bazaar would be the aftermath maps. Azadi Palace · Epicenter · Markaz Monolith · Talah Market

Although out of the original maps, seine crossing is also good and may be considered similar to grand bazaar.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks. As soon as it has downloaded 11gb of maps, I will check out the Aftermath map pack first! :)

Fingers crossed the expansion maps have people in the uk playing them. Hardly ever get to play on the new maps on CoD PC

Caporegime
When's the last time anyone played Tehran Highway? It seems to have disappeared from most rotations!

I prefer big, vehicle maps like Firestorm, Oman and Caspian. To me they do what Battlefield is meant to. Metro is apparently returning to BF4 which makes me very sad. IMO it's not a 'proper' BF map. It's only popular as it allows massive numbers of kils and fast ranking, not because its any good.

Caporegime
When's the last time anyone played Tehran Highway? It seems to have disappeared from most rotations!

I prefer big, vehicle maps like Firestorm, Oman and Caspian. To me they do what Battlefield is meant to. Metro is apparently returning to BF4 which makes me very sad. IMO it's not a 'proper' BF map. It's only popular as it allows massive numbers of kils and fast ranking, not because its any good.

I played Tehran highway once and that was it, just seemed to encourage camping with the darkness more than any other map (besides areas of metro).

As for metro, that was a turd of the highest order, nothing but spam and that was really it. Utterly pathetic effort of a map.

Soldato

It's still on our Conquest Vanilla Server, terrible map though. :D

Also in the map vote/rotation on our TDM & Rush servers.

Soldato
I can't join any servers at the moment for some reason. I comes up with the "Joining Soldier" in the bottom right... but it never does :/ No error message, it either sites there forever or the joining soldier just disappears.

Anyone had this?

Associate
Just upgraded my PC and there is some difference in this game. Going from a Q6600/GTX460 to a 4670K/7850 is brilliant. With the 460 I was getting somewhere from 30 - 50 fps, always a bit stuttery and not smooth at all, and I was terrible. Now, everything on high locked to 62fps which it never moves from, and the smoothness is fantastic, I feel like I can kill people now.

Soldato
I've been getting BSODs non stop when I go to join any server - soon as it tries booting BF3 it just crashes the PC - have resintalled the game and all of the expansions and updated graphics drivers - also checked and audio drivers are up to date (using a Xonar D2) ... Anyone any ideas?

Nothing has changed to be honest since my cousins were here over easter and playing it just fine ... no overclock or hardware changes at all!

get a BSOD reader and see what application/process is causing it from the dump file. I used to get BSODS in BFBC2 (and maybe BF3... can;t remember...) and what was causing it was a conflict between my onborad realtek sound drivers and the ESET security I installed. bit miffed, uninstalled ESET and went back to MSE... no more BSODS. but yea I deffo suggest getting a bsod reader and having a google :)

Soldato
Can anyone suggest what settings to use (spec in sig). I seem to get around 60 on full 64 player servers with everything maxed @ 1080p, what should FOV be set to and what settings do people using on a 780?

Caporegime
That spec should be able to run it on ultra with x4 msaa, a single overclocked 670 ran theese settings fine for me at 1920x1200. Fov is a personal thing, 85 is my preferred setting. Is your setup overclocked at all?

Soldato
Just upgraded my PC and there is some difference in this game. Going from a Q6600/GTX460 to a 4670K/7850 is brilliant. With the 460 I was getting somewhere from 30 - 50 fps, always a bit stuttery and not smooth at all, and I was terrible. Now, everything on high locked to 62fps which it never moves from, and the smoothness is fantastic, I feel like I can kill people now.
Throw everything on low and kill even more people. ;)

Soldato
Can anyone suggest what settings to use (spec in sig). I seem to get around 60 on full 64 player servers with everything maxed @ 1080p, what should FOV be set to and what settings do people using on a 780?

drop every setting to low except mesh quality and just play with limited fps! Only way to play tbh!

Defo do this, when you are playing there is no real difference between Ultra and Low. These are my settings and yes I can run at full ultra if I wanted to, not that I ever would. These setting WILL enable you to see more enemies, JGSR guaranteed ;)

FOV 78 (Lower FOV better for Inf imo, you engage 70% of your targets within 45 degrees of straight ahead. If you are a Tank ho....maybe 85-90 would be better. Also depends on whether it starts to fisheye on you.

Graphics Q ~ Low
Tex Q ~ Low
Shad Q ~ Low
Mesh Q ~ Ultra
Terrain Q ~ Low
Terrain D ~ Low
Anti A ~ Off
Anti Post ~ High
M Blur ~ Off
Ansio ~ 16
Ambient ~ Off

Status