Beheading at Notre-Dame basilica in Nice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I think it's the other way round. Secular Muslims, in my experience, do not attend mosque and do not pray five times a day, but they still believe in the teachings of the Qu'ran even though they don't read it daily. They're actually the least offensive and most progressive types.

Whereas those who pray five times a day, avidly read the Qu'ran and the Hadith and have very traditional values are more likely to be indoctrinated into that bracket: however, even then it is not that cut and dried - there's a whole host of reasons as to why people end up in religious extremism, and it's mostly bound up in circumstance, situation and psychology.

I think a lot of it is down to the insecurity of the person. Sadly there seems to be a growing intolerance to other people having different views in general, on any subject these days.

In my opinion a lot of problems that come from religion is when people start adding their own interpretation on to the original holy books. Some religious people even get their opinion based book added in to the holy books, so for them it is much easier to incite angry sadly.

I've been researching the bible a lot recently. There is a lot of misinterpretation in there that as been generally accepted as a fact. When the bible itself either never says that or in some cases says the opposite.

Suspended
Ok so if we agree that closing down Mosques is a bad idea, what's a good idea look like, without dismissing it as a problem or labelling the now several thousand Islamic terrorists as "crazy"?

Man of Honour
Ok so if we agree that closing down Mosques is a bad idea, what's a good idea look like, without dismissing it as a problem or labelling the now several thousand Islamic terrorists as "crazy"?

Having a chat, it’s about all we seem capable of doing these days. Oh and the usual profile picture changing, angry emojis etc.

It’s only a matter of time before it happens again in the UK. We’ll somehow get roped in.

Capodecina
Soldato
Ill assume you missed the Ban islam thread recently as well.

Hah, yes.

I honestly have no idea. There is no quick solution to this, just as there is no quick solution to the Israeli/Palestinian divide. As @BowdonUK correctly pointed out above, it's to do with psychology, not just [or not necessarily] religion. Also see my post here.

Soldato
Its funny because I have a few friends that say they believe in god (the bible one) yet they commit sins constantly. I often point this out to them and tell them if the book is true they will end up in hell, which if you go by the desciptions and if true is going to be ******* horrible.

Being non religious I am able to commit sins freely without any real concern about heaven or hell or offending my god. Im very confused by people that say they believe in the word of god being arsehats.

I hear you on the hypocritical nature of some people that say they believe in God yet are "arsehats" in every day life.

The bible gets interpretated in a certain way by people and others just assume that view is correct. Usually when people get involved in religion it seems to immediately turn to judging and then condemning other people, which if they read the bible properly those judging others i.e. people who are living their own lives and not hurting anyone else, are acting as God, which is a sin.

There is too much judgement in general in religion.

It is easy to see how people like this guy gets either misled, or purposely, interprets the Quran in the most judgemental way to justify his crazy idea that he can kill innocent people.

Soldato
What do you propose then? Do nothing? It’s not ideal, but it sends a message. If it results in more radicals coming out, well, maybe that be a good way to weed them out.

My first post said I don't have an easy answer - there is no easy answer but that doesn't mean that we just say 'hey ho, lets go with the bad idea and do something to really rile them up and drive them to the fundamentalists, that'll make it better'. This puerile notion that you can't point out something is bad idea without having a better idea is nonsense too. I can tell you putting out a pan fire with water is a bad idea and will make the fire worse even if I can't tell you exactly how you should best put out a pan fire.

We need better more robust ways to find the fundamentalists and remove them from communities but in a manner that doesn't equally give them a platform to martyr themselves under the guise of Western persecution and rally more 'troops' to their cause.

Capodecina
Soldato
What do you propose then? Do nothing? It’s not ideal, but it sends a message. If it results in more radicals coming out, well, maybe that be a good way to weed them out.

Closing mosques is not just going to ire the radicals but the other Muslims too. And then one risks the other Muslims, who rightly enough, are aggravated to ****ery that their houses of worship have been closed, being taken for radicals if they revolt.

To be honest I'd be annoyed too, as a non-Muslim. Denying worship to an entire religion based on the acts of an incredibly small minority is an awful idea.

No, I do now know what the solution is, but it's not that.

Associate
Not an easy problem to solve - but our society must have the confidence to ban these ideologies and deport those who support them, without being labelled any of the ists.

Especially when we are dealing without most bigoted of the lot.

Leaving this to spiral much longer will only result in the rise of a different side of evil.

Suspended
My first post said I don't have an easy answer - there is no easy answer but that doesn't mean that we just say 'hey ho, lets go with the bad idea and do something to really rile them up and drive them to the fundamentalists, that'll make it better'. This puerile notion that you can't point out something is bad idea without having a better idea is nonsense too. I can tell you putting out a pan fire with water is a bad idea and will make the fire worse even if I can't tell you exactly how you should best put out a pan fire.

We need better more robust ways to find the fundamentalists and remove them from communities but in a manner that doesn't equally give them a platform to martyr themselves under the guise of Western persecution and rally more 'troops' to their cause.

You can find them all you want, but Islam is always going to create new one's and some will slip through the net and cut off an old lady's head. And no I don't believe in closing Mosques either.

Soldato
I thought that until we did nothing after they killed our kids in the Manchester bomb, now I think we're spineless

the main guy blew himself to bits and his brother who helped is in jail. what else would you like? some random airstrikes in another country?

Soldato
Religion isn't crazy, people are

These people aren't Muslims they're terrorists

There's so many people you wouldn't even know are Muslim

And this is speaking as a non Muslim

Sorry but if you had read any religious texts you would quite clearly see the core ‘ideology’ is crazy. It only has the veneer of respectability because it’s old. If you were to try and initiate a religion today based on the same concepts you would quite quickly be labelled a lunatic.

Soldato
This, absolutely this. Slow, methodical carpet bombing over hundreds of square miles. That'll teach 'em.

Or how about having a tight grip of mosques and deporting any Imams that spread hate and poison to the masses? It's shameful how long it took to get rid of the Imam with the hook, what happened to him should have happened years before

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom