Big ol' Burger Comparison Thread

Soldato
Recently visited Five Guys in Solihull,

Though I found the burger nice, it wasn't on the cheap side. If I remember correctly, I had a doulbe cheeseburger with most toppings, the wife opting for the single with nothing on! shared chips between us (which were nice) and it came to roughly £17.00.

I'll have to check out Patty & Bun :)

Soldato

Had the spicy BBQ steakhouse for lunch (double patty) and IMO it was very difficult to tell the difference between that and the normal, except the standard american cheese is probably better. Places like BK are never going to make a sauce really spicy though are they? They are crispy fried onions BTW.

10 patty bacon cheeseburger

all the way.

fpjdXvR.jpg.png

Is that your own concoction of 5 5guys burgers? :D

Last edited:

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
why are people in this thread saying that BK is better than five guys?
why are you even posting in a thread about burgers if you are that wrong about the subject!

to answer HazardO:
at Five Guys you can take an extra patty for your burger for an extra £2.
My friend went a few weeks before and had a 6 patty burger for his birthday.

Myself and another friend thought that this wasn't good enough so we tried a 10 patty burger. This is a Bacon Cheeseburger (with two pattys in standard guise) and 8 extra pattys added to it. The burger was made 'all the way' which really helped as the extra toppings were used to ensure varied consistency throughout the meal.

It was magnificent but unfortunately it beat me.
It was a spur of the moment visit and I had already eaten a sunday dinner the same day.
If I had known then I would have been more prepared and it would have been easy.

Soldato
One opening up in Metrocentre and naturally everyone wants to try it but I think I just want to come back for those Cajun fries :o

Caporegime
why are you even posting in a thread about burgers if you are that wrong about the subject!

Because even the Whopper still qualifies as a burger.

Because it is based on a personal opinion.

A burger is a very simple recipe so easy to compare directly with another.

I find 5 Guys' patty taste like they have been cooked with too many other patty on the heat plate and it taste like it, actually I have seen them like that as it is an open kitchen. There is that lack of caramelisation on the outside that I like, it's like the heat plate isn't hot enough. They patty in both the Whopper and 5 Guys are of a similar size and thickness so it is easy to compare IMO (as opposed to other places). Where as the Whopper doesn't taste like it has been stewed, 5 Guys does. Only when you slap an obscene amount of toppings on top, then you can't tell.

I tried 5 Guys bunless once, it was awful, average at best. You really can taste what the beef is like when you do that.

Soldato

to answer HazardO:
at Five Guys you can take an extra patty for your burger for an extra £2.
My friend went a few weeks before and had a 6 patty burger for his birthday.

Myself and another friend thought that this wasn't good enough so we tried a 10 patty burger. This is a Bacon Cheeseburger (with two pattys in standard guise) and 8 extra pattys added to it. The burger was made 'all the way' which really helped as the extra toppings were used to ensure varied consistency throughout the meal.

It was magnificent but unfortunately it beat me.
It was a spur of the moment visit and I had already eaten a sunday dinner the same day.
If I had known then I would have been more prepared and it would have been easy.
Mate, I would take a whopper over that mess any day. Having ten patties, for what can only be bragging rights, gives you reign over who can and can't post in the thread?

Man of Honour
How much did that 10 patty burger run you? or the meal total?

bacon cheeseburger is £8.75 according to their menu online,
+ £16 for 8 extra pattys at £2 each,
so £24.75 :eek:

id take 5 double whoppers with cheese over that mess any day.. :p

Last edited:
Soldato
I wouldn't say that BK is better than 5 guys, but they are comparable. 5 guys burgers are better, but not much. Toppings are what take them to a higher level, but there are no crispy fried onions :(

I like Byron because the beef is good, the toppings are great, the service is superb and craft beer with burger is a win for me.

Soldato
I find 5 Guys' patty taste like they have been cooked with too many other patty on the heat plate and it taste like it, actually I have seen them like that as it is an open kitchen. There is that lack of caramelisation on the outside that I like, it's like the heat plate isn't hot enough.
Yeah I think it's that which makes them taste cheaper. No idea on the quality of their meat, anyone know? It's strange, if they just cooked them a bit better (which is surely, hotter and faster) rather than essentially boiling them in their own juices they'd taste a lot better. Not that I disliked Five Guys -- I was actually pleasantly surprised. Maybe because (a) someone else was paying and (b) there's two right on my way home, so it's now stored in the back of my mind for a potential post-pub emergency backup food :p

And 10 patties? C'mon what a waste of time :rolleyes:

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
Must just be me then. I mean a BK is better than McDonalds but they are just so bland. I think five guys depends on the way you have it really.

I personally just don't see how they are comparable but I've had a lot of bad burger kings recently.

A lot of travelling involved in getting a good burger where I live.

Soldato
Must just be me then. I mean a BK is better than McDonalds but they are just so bland. I think five guys depends on the way you have it really.

I personally just don't see how they are comparable but I've had a lot of bad burger kings recently.

A lot of travelling involved in getting a good burger where I live.

In the past I've noticed the quality of individual BK franchises varies enormously (McDs too). The two BKs in Cambridge seem to be fairly good in that you don't get a random amount of toppings unevenly bundled into the burger and the fries are good and fresh tasting.

Caporegime
In the past I've noticed the quality of individual BK franchises varies enormously (McDs too). The two BKs in Cambridge seem to be fairly good in that you don't get a random amount of toppings unevenly bundled into the burger and the fries are good and fresh tasting.

I had a really good BK in a service station just outside Warwick last week. Just single patty whopper and it was tasty.

Last edited:

daz

daz

Soldato
Tried 5 guys a few weeks ago and it's pretty much what I expected - it's a decent fast food burger.

It's not on the same level as Patty and Bun or Meat Liquor, but still enjoyable and it makes a change from the usual.

Soldato
So plan to go to Byron at Liverpool Street on Sunday around 4pm but also have the option of Patty and Bun but its quite small so not sure if we will get a table for three of us?

What the best burger and sides to go for at Byron looking back in the thread it appears the B-Rex is the burger of choice?

Back
Top Bottom