Big ol' Burger Comparison Thread

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
Had my first shake shack last night at the westfield stratford branch after a few beers. It was.. okay. Not worth the price, but better than five guys... very very cheesy, mind.

Soldato
Had my first shake shack last night at the westfield stratford branch after a few beers. It was.. okay. Not worth the price, but better than five guys... very very cheesy, mind.

You should have tried the covent garden branch at lunch today - they had a collaboration burger with Sat Bains which was awesome!
CQ356qsWoAENueq.jpg:medium

Soldato
Lost my 5 guys virginity at the weekend in the O2 (been here 3 months and only just tried one) and while on the face of it they seem expensive after you've added the toppings (which some companies charge for) they can work out reasonably priced and I cannot believe how many fries I got.

Must admit I was surprised at how nice it actually was and am definitely going to have a couple more in the 2 weeks I have left down here (unless I get a contract extension which at this moment is looking unlikely).

Soldato
I had a FiveGuys for the first time last Saturday.

Now I was about 4 or 5 beers in having watched the rugby but I thought £14.50 for a cheeseburger with a few fillings, caijun fries and a regular coke was a bit much.
It was a nice burger but wasn't amazing and either the fries or the burger and fries were so salty.

I want to try it again but I was a bit disappointed following the hype.

(edit: this was FiveGuys in Milton Keynes)

Soldato
Had Shake Shack and Five Guys in NY when I went in September. It was the first time I have had both. I preferred the Burger from Shake shack, I really liked the shack sauce and I felt overall the burger as a whole was better. That's not to say I didn't enjoy the Five Guys, because I really liked it :)

For me they are the best Fast Foody type burgers I've had, I am yet to have had them in the UK so can't compare.

Soldato
Couldn't disagree more dude.

Ashamed to say this, but I've been four times since it opened last Monday (In my defense I live about 2 minutes away from the Trafford Centre though.)

Admittedly it is expensive for a burger, but £20ish quid for a casual meal for two is pretty standard. It's easily the best food experience in that food court now. All the burgers are made fresh to order with exactly the toppings you ask for at no extra charge (free extra cheese and extra bacon - the best bacon I've had on a burger) is a complete winner.

I'll hold my hands up and say I love Almost Famous too, but if you've ever had a basic bacon cheeseburger at AF it's not much to write home about, where they excel is all their creative toppings. Also, when I compare going to Almost Famous where I'll expect to wait an hour for a table and subjected to the hipster contempt of the staff to somewhere like Five Guys, which is instant sit down, fast service and flawlessly polite staff then I'll go to Five Guys any day of the week.

I've not been to Byron, but the fact that you can compare GBK's frozen efforts favourably to Five Guys seriously makes me doubt your palate to be honest. (no offense)

I disagree with you.

The reason why I dislike Five Guys:

• The Bacon, Its smoked pieces of bacon glass. That's NOT BACON. WE ARE NOt AMERICAN.
  • The Cheese, Its not very nice.
  • The Price, Seriously? £8 for a TINY Burger with crap cheese and bacon glass???

I Liked the fries and the fact its refillable cherry coke. For me to see it as a decent buy i would need to carry a 20L Backpack with a plastic liner, then fill it with Cherry coke. Only then would i be happy paying the price.

I much prefer the Triple XL Bacon burger from Burger King. Massive, Meaty bacon goodness. You may think that's horrible, but I like it. I have one as a treat every couple of months.

Then again im odd, At MCdonalds i will have a big tasty.. but ask for it ONLY CHEESE and then cover it in sweet and sour sauce... Am i odd?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
im up manchester way next Monday and Tuesday with a stop over on me todd.

any decent burger joints worth visiting while there?

Almost Famous and Solita are about the best in Manchester. Almost Famous being the better of the two.

edit: There's a few other new places I haven't got round to trying yet too (e.g. Filthy Cow).

Man of Honour
I just tried Filthy Cow in Manchester/Deansgate.

It was pretty tasty. Definitely better than Byron (which I don't rate). Probably not quite as good as Solita and definitely not as good as Almost Famous. The burger itself was quite close to a smashed burger in terms of levels of browning and very tasty. Unfortunately it was just a bit too much in terms of bun to burger ratio and it suffered from the problem of simply being too tall to easily take a bite out of. I'd happily eat there again but I'd also happily go to AF or Sol instead.

Soldato
I really like Five Guys but I find it a tad expensive for essentially a fast food style burger.

If you ever visit Bristol we have an awesome burger joint called Atomic Burger. Love their food.

Beef burger, meatballs, crispy bacon and chipotle pulled pork. Yum

Back
Top Bottom