Big ol' Burger Comparison Thread

Soldato
For Five Guys I think the trick is to look at the menu before you go and just build your ideal burger. It's all about the planning (and free toppings) :p

Soldato
I didn't take that picture guys lol.

It probably shouldn't be counted as a burger as I did have to eat it with a knife and fork but it's sold as a burger so, you know... Definitely worth checking out though, very tasty. Actually, whilst on the subject of eating a burger with a knife and fork; what is your opinion on people who cut burgers in half? I call them quitters.

Soldato
I went to GBK in Milton Keynes tonight. It was alright.

I had the Habanero burger, was just like a burger with hot sauce. Couldn't taste much else.
Bun held up though and was easy to eat with hands.

The skinny fries really are too skinny though and there wasn't much flavour from the rosemary.

No great desire to go back.

Associate
The amount of burger places in Leicester city centre is crazy.

Five Guys has just opened right in the city centre (yet to visit), there is a refurbished McDonald's, and Burger King all across from each other within about 30 seconds.

Five minutes away at the other side of the Highcross Mall there is an American dinner place (have not visited), Handmade Burger, Byron Burger, Coast to Coast, and Frankie and Bennies.

Now, I dislike Frankie and Bennies. Coast to Coast is ok, Byron was underwhelming when I went, Handmade is excellent. Maccy D's and Burger King are exactly what you expect, with Burger King being better.

Excited to try Five Guys sometime this week. Any recommendations on what to get? Similarly, any recommendations for Byron? I want to visit again.

We also have a Grillstock serving that massive burger.

For a Byron Le Smokie is the way forward. Going to try and get to five guys in the next week or so but judging from the posts here it seems pretty average.

Associate
Yeah it's a shame they don't use brioche buns but that's my only complaint. Their chicken wings and the décor of the place makes up for everything else.

Edit:

My girlfriend comes from Cornwall so we go down every few weeks. There was a restaurant, I believe it was Sam's in the City, in Truro. They made me a very, very nice burger.

If your in Truro again goto Hubbox they won best burger in the country this year so its worth trying out i've had it many times its very very good.

http://hubbox.co.uk/hubbox-national-burger-awards-winner/

Soldato
had my first 5 guys today in milton keynes.

I just had a small cheeseburger, chips and a drink, £10.75?? crazy price thats for sure.

Foodwise, i mean its better than maccy d's, better than burger king i think but thats where it ends. Its no Byron and its nothing like any others like patty and bun etc.

The meat was fairly bland if eaten alone, the chips were nice, i got a cup full and about another cupful thrown into the bag which was needed to fill me up.

If one cupful is standard, and it cost £10,75 then that will be the last time i eat there i am afraid to say as much as i like my burgers theres no way thats value.

Associate
You always get a cup in the back and another in the cup. It's one of their things.

And almost all burger patties are kinda bland tasted on their own. If you didn't load up the burger with masses of toppings then you did 5 guys wrong.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
While I do love an over-the-top gourmet burger, I think Five Guys fills the "gap" nicely. Yes, it is expensive but it is very good compared to McDonalds/BK et al, and while not as good as some of the restaurant-style burger places it doesn't demand that you treat it like a restaurant so you can just pop in and eat/takeaway without any faffing around.

Easily my favourite fast food place now, even if the expense does mean it isn't a regular haunt.

Soldato
You always get a cup in the back and another in the cup. It's one of their things.

And almost all burger patties are kinda bland tasted on their own. If you didn't load up the burger with masses of toppings then you did 5 guys wrong.

I've had burgers where the burger itself tasted fantastic. steakandhonour are a local food park van(s) which uses locally sourced grass fed longhorn chuck, and you really can taste the difference in the beef.

Last edited:
Soldato
While I do love an over-the-top gourmet burger, I think Five Guys fills the "gap" nicely. Yes, it is expensive but it is very good compared to McDonalds/BK et al, and while not as good as some of the restaurant-style burger places it doesn't demand that you treat it like a restaurant so you can just pop in and eat/takeaway without any faffing around.

Easily my favourite fast food place now, even if the expense does mean it isn't a regular haunt.

I would much rather pay more for a really nice fast food burger (a la 5 guys) and have it less often, then pay less for cheap rubbish and have it all the time.

Probably goes for most people to be fair

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
I would much rather pay more for a really nice fast food burger (a la 5 guys) and have it less often, then pay less for cheap rubbish and have it all the time.

Probably goes for most people to be fair

I agree - I'm trying to massively cut down on the amount of fast/junk food I eat (which isn't a lot, but it can definitely be reduced) and I think a Five Guys once a month would be "about right".

Soldato
I agree - I'm trying to massively cut down on the amount of fast/junk food I eat (which isn't a lot, but it can definitely be reduced) and I think a Five Guys once a month would be "about right".

It helps for me that my closest is over 20 miles away :p

Back
Top Bottom