Big ol' Burger Comparison Thread

Man of Honour
I really like Five Guys but I find it a tad expensive for essentially a fast food style burger.

If you ever visit Bristol we have an awesome burger joint called Atomic Burger. Love their food.

Beef burger, meatballs, crispy bacon and chipotle pulled pork. Yum

Been to the Atomic burger in Oxford, so good!

Associate
Seen a few people mention The Boozy Cow on Facebook recently, they're in Aberdeen and Edinburgh. May have to go once my friend is back from her hols.

http://www.boozycow.com/aberdeen/

Bit silly with everything being served on trays and in jars but I guess that's trendy thing right now.

Have you been to Angus & Ale? Not as 'trendy' as The Boozy Cow but better quality.

Then Byron is opening soon, right next door to Handmade Burger.

Soldato
I really like Five Guys but I find it a tad expensive for essentially a fast food style burger.

If you ever visit Bristol we have an awesome burger joint called Atomic Burger. Love their food.

Beef burger, meatballs, crispy bacon and chipotle pulled pork. Yum

They use a 'flour' style bun though, which is kinda the worst for burgers, Byron use a nice light brioche.

And with the shakes they provide a pathetic sized straw which means it take 20yrs to drink.

Soldato
Yeah it's a shame they don't use brioche buns but that's my only complaint. Their chicken wings and the décor of the place makes up for everything else.

Edit:

My girlfriend comes from Cornwall so we go down every few weeks. There was a restaurant, I believe it was Sam's in the City, in Truro. They made me a very, very nice burger.

Last edited:
Soldato
If anyone ever passes through Bristol a place worth checking is Grillstock. Their Lockjaw burger has to be the best burger ever.

26b3f53b8e295e7f8e2e47cbfd4cf86f.jpg

Not my picture but you get a sense for how good it is

Soldato
No no no. That burger is clearly impossible to eat 'as a burger', what's the point of it?

And why is there a doll behind it? :p

Caporegime
The amount of burger places in Leicester city centre is crazy.

Five Guys has just opened right in the city centre (yet to visit), there is a refurbished McDonald's, and Burger King all across from each other within about 30 seconds.

Five minutes away at the other side of the Highcross Mall there is an American dinner place (have not visited), Handmade Burger, Byron Burger, Coast to Coast, and Frankie and Bennies.

Now, I dislike Frankie and Bennies. Coast to Coast is ok, Byron was underwhelming when I went, Handmade is excellent. Maccy D's and Burger King are exactly what you expect, with Burger King being better.

Excited to try Five Guys sometime this week. Any recommendations on what to get? Similarly, any recommendations for Byron? I want to visit again.

Soldato

Five Guys has just opened right in the city centre (yet to visit), there is a refurbished McDonald's, and Burger King all across from each other within about 30 seconds.

Five minutes away at the other side of the Highcross Mall there is an American dinner place (have not visited), Handmade Burger, Byron Burger, Coast to Coast, and Frankie and Bennies.

Now, I dislike Frankie and Bennies. Coast to Coast is ok, Byron was underwhelming when I went, Handmade is excellent. Maccy D's and Burger King are exactly what you expect, with Burger King being better.

Excited to try Five Guys sometime this week. Any recommendations on what to get? Similarly, any recommendations for Byron? I want to visit again.
I visit Leicester about twice a month as my fiancée is from there and have to say that I am so envious of that spot. I heard about Five Guys opening and couldn't believe it. My town of Harrow is practically dead by comparison and I love visiting that spot for the sheer number of burger joints! Btw ChimneyChanga absolutely sucks - awful service.

Edit: Why the hell is there a DOLL in that above pic?!

Last edited:
Soldato

Personally.. a le smokie with extra green chilli ;)

Associate
Sorry - I didn't see this.

I haven't been yet but I'm on a training courseon town this week so can charge my lunch to work.... I think I may have a contender for tomorrow :p

If you make it there lemme know what you think.

I'm not a pizza connoisseur, but I really liked it.

Back
Top Bottom