Big ol' Burger Comparison Thread

Caporegime
I had initially thought Five Guys are expensive for burgers but I've warmed to the fact that it's not that bad, at least compared to my 2 local ones.

A normal burger in the 2 place near my house starts at £7.50 and £8 respectively going up to £10. Fries are £2.50 up to £4-5 for ones with toppings. So you can be at £14-15 without a drink.

If there are 2 of you, and prepared be a little cheeky, Five Guys can be quite reasonable. Seeing the size of the fries is enough to share and you can get unlimited drinks, just go halves on those and get a burger each.

Normally when I go I just have a burger all the way and a shake. That's probably 1,000 cal right there, may be 1200 easy so plenty enough for a meal and I never get the fries anymore.

Associate
I'd say Five Guys is good but not great. The best burger I've ever had was in NYC in a little room attached to the side of a hotel.

But it's probably one of the best "fast food" burgers out there if you ignore cost.

Soldato
In the US a couple of months ago, I went to a place called BGR. I think that was a nicer burger than Five Guys. The reason I say think, is that it wasn't a perfectly fair comparison as I had funky extras on the BGR burger - pulled pork and the like.

The patty itself was cooked quite rare though, and extremely tasty.

I don't know if they exist in the UK?

Aside from all that though, I'd agree with the above - not the best burger you can get. But about the best 'fast food' burger you can get.

Man of Honour
In the US a couple of months ago, I went to a place called BGR. I think that was a nicer burger than Five Guys. The reason I say think, is that it wasn't a perfectly fair comparison as I had funky extras on the BGR burger - pulled pork and the like.

The patty itself was cooked quite rare though, and extremely tasty.

I don't know if they exist in the UK?

Aside from all that though, I'd agree with the above - not the best burger you can get. But about the best 'fast food' burger you can get.

There are quite a few decent gourmet burgers places in the UK that I imagine will compare favourably. Whereabouts do you live?

Soldato
Slow reply but...understandable response :p

To be honest I'd rate Byron much higher if they simply heated/toasted their buns. I really don't get why they're served cold :confused:

I like their burgers, but their not perfect. The bottom of the bun fails too often (especially with 2 patties).

5 guys buns have always been squashed flat!

Soldato
The nearest city, likely to have such places, is Manchester. Or Stoke - slightly less likely I'd imagine.

I've been to gourmet burger places which I would consider true restaurants, rather than fast food, and had some very nice meals. Places like Solita, and Love, Luck, Liquor and Burn.
Either of those I'd probably describe as nicer than the Five Guys, but then it's hardly a level playing field.

Man of Honour
The nearest city, likely to have such places, is Manchester. Or Stoke - slightly less likely I'd imagine.

I've been to gourmet burger places which I would consider true restaurants, rather than fast food, and had some very nice meals. Places like Solita, and Love, Luck, Liquor and Burn.
Either of those I'd probably describe as nicer than the Five Guys, but then it's hardly a level playing field.

Ah yeah. Almost Famous is also a good shout (same guys as Lust, Liquor and Burn). I'd say AF is better than Solita by quite a way, for burgers at least.

Associate
Any recommendations for bun-less burgers in London? I'm on low-carb at the moment :/

P&B (thanks to this thread!) is my normal haunt but without a plate I imagine it would be a bit of a disaster. Byron is my automatic response since it's an actual restaurant and the Father Cheesemas I had a few weeks back was fantastic, but any other suggestions?

Soldato
Any recommendations for bun-less burgers in London? I'm on low-carb at the moment :/

P&B (thanks to this thread!) is my normal haunt but without a plate I imagine it would be a bit of a disaster. Byron is my automatic response since it's an actual restaurant and the Father Cheesemas I had a few weeks back was fantastic, but any other suggestions?

You mean a meat patty? Why not just get a steak?

Soldato
Yes, I've been meaning to try Almost Famous for ages, but never yet got around to it. I'm just far enough from Manchester for 'nipping in' to not really be an option. Has to be planned a bit.

Soldato

When I was at Five Guys on the menu it did say they offered bunless as a option.

Man of Honour
I've eaten at Five Guys on two occassions, both have been pretty average. Don't get me wrong, it's better than McDonald's but for the price it's pretty laughable, the best bit of the meal is the drinks machines and the various flavours of coke you can mix.

I'd rather go to GBK or numerous other burger joints ahead of Five Guys for the money

Associate
You mean a meat patty? Why not just get a steak?

I'll get one if I'm going to a proper steakhouse, but it's a very different experience IMO.

I'm sure most burger restaurants would have a chef sufficiently trained to plate a burger without putting it in a bun.

Excellent point! My dilemma is solved!

My point was that normally I go to P&B, which wouldn't work given that I've never seen a plate in there, and Byron is the only alternative I've had a good experience with.

Back
Top Bottom