Big ol' Burger Comparison Thread

Associate
Yes, I've been meaning to try Almost Famous for ages, but never yet got around to it. I'm just far enough from Manchester for 'nipping in' to not really be an option. Has to be planned a bit.

Almost Famous does do some nice burgers but it was the bacon fries that nailed it for me. Jesus the salt... the salt mmmm

Soldato
It was!! I managed to catch it on a quiet night but within 30 minutes of us arriving it was heaving. I think it gets a reputation and rightly so!

*drool*

It's never been quiet when I've been there, it has always been heaving. It's a great place though.

I went to Five Guys last night and the burger was delicious - absolutely spot on. The fries were inedible though, so much salt. I don't like salty food generally but these really were ghastly. I complained, got fresh ones which were marginally less horrible. They went in the bin.

Associate
It's never been quiet when I've been there, it has always been heaving. It's a great place though.

I went to Five Guys last night and the burger was delicious - absolutely spot on. The fries were inedible though, so much salt. I don't like salty food generally but these really were ghastly. I complained, got fresh ones which were marginally less horrible. They went in the bin.

I agree, that place loves to salt their fries to the point of them being inedible. I don't see why they don't just provide salt sachets and be done with it.

Soldato
I forgot about this:

b354a102-a0a2-416d-a723-4acdfb902666_zps4ls2qlob.jpg

This was from a place called Grillstock in Bath town centre. It's a BBQ place rather than somewhere for burgers but we didn't fancy BBQ the night we went. I had a bacon cheeseburger with lettuce, pickles and fry sauce, and my GF had a chicken burger with lettuce and fry sauce.

They were pretty good, nothing like the goodness which is Patty and Bun (which is my reference being my favourite burgers). The patty was a little too well done for me but it was nice with the bacon/cheese/fry sauce combo. The GF says that P&B also do the best chicken burger she has had and while this one was good, again wasn't close to the P&B one.

Maybe an unfair comparison as this is primarily a BBQ place, not a burger joint. I'll have to go back to try the BBQ next time :D

Soldato
Milton Keynes is getting another buger restaruant, and it'll be the first Smashburger in the UK. Hot on the heals of Five Guys that opened last year.

http://www.destinationmiltonkeynes....US-burger-chain-to-open-first-UK-outlet-in-MK

Its right by the Tesco where I do my shopping... which could be good or bad. :D

That'll bring us up to six burger (style) places I think.

Smashburger
Five Guys
Byron Burger
Gourmet Burger Kitchen
Percys - http://www.percys-delivered.co.uk/ (Takeaway only)
Lone Star Grill - https://www.facebook.com/LoneStarGrillMK/

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok, on Friday I was about 10mins from setting off to the new Patty and Bun in Soho when I realised it hadn't actually opened yet :o

We did sneak into Honest Burger instead though, so we were happy. Even more happy to get free onion rings because they had to move us to allow for a large(r) group :D

Soldato
Milton Keynes is getting another buger restaruant, and it'll be the first Smashburger in the UK. Hot on the heals of Five Guys that opened last year.

http://www.destinationmiltonkeynes....US-burger-chain-to-open-first-UK-outlet-in-MK

Its right by the Tesco where I do my shopping... which could be good or bad. :D

That'll bring us up to six burger (style) places I think.

Smashburger
Five Guys
Byron Burger
Gourmet Burger Kitchen
Percys - http://www.percys-delivered.co.uk/ (Takeaway only)
Lone Star Grill - https://www.facebook.com/LoneStarGrillMK/

oops Kingston's just up the road from me.:D

Man of Honour
I forgot about this:

http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/...2-a0a2-416d-a723-4acdfb902666_zps4ls2qlob.jpg

This was from a place called Grillstock in Bath town centre. It's a BBQ place rather than somewhere for burgers but we didn't fancy BBQ the night we went. I had a bacon cheeseburger with lettuce, pickles and fry sauce, and my GF had a chicken burger with lettuce and fry sauce.

They were pretty good, nothing like the goodness which is Patty and Bun (which is my reference being my favourite burgers). The patty was a little too well done for me but it was nice with the bacon/cheese/fry sauce combo. The GF says that P&B also do the best chicken burger she has had and while this one was good, again wasn't close to the P&B one.

Maybe an unfair comparison as this is primarily a BBQ place, not a burger joint. I'll have to go back to try the BBQ next time :D

Definitely give their other BBQ food a go it's amazing!

Soldato
Went to five guys for the first time today. Didn't realise it was so expensive. (In comparison to other places) £4 for some chips took my by surprise.

We both got little cheeseburgers but I got Reg fries and she got fries. There was hundreds of them! There was enough in the bag to fill both our cups again and then some!

She got a vanilla shake and it was amazing. Once you look at the food the price isn't so bad tbh.

Much nicer than places like macdonalds and bk etc.

Any chance anyone has any recommendations for a decent burger place in notts?

Soldato
Went to five guys for the first time today. Didn't realise it was so expensive. (In comparison to other places) £4 for some chips took my by surprise.

We both got little cheeseburgers but I got Reg fries and she got fries. There was hundreds of them! There was enough in the bag to fill both our cups again and then some!

She got a vanilla shake and it was amazing. Once you look at the food the price isn't so bad tbh.

Sounds good, I really need to get down to one!

Reds True BBQ has some good meat :)

Man of Honour
I just tried this place in East Didsbury:

http://bourbonandblack.co.uk/

I had the Howling Wolf burger with some jalepeno poppers on the side. The burger was a little overdone imo but it was fatty enough to be tasty despite that. The whole thing was pretty tasty all in all and I'd happily go there again. The "fries" (they were decent hand-cut chips with awesome chunks of rock salt so they're under-selling themselves by calling them fries really) were great too.

Caporegime
Went to Bun & Bowl in The Cube in Birmingham. Went with the Original burger, fries and Buffalo Wings.

Burger has no condiments and they didn't ask how you want it done so it came well done and a bit dry. Fries is most likely are bought pre-cut(a bit like Maccy D's), wings is just slapped on with a lot of sauce and doesn't taste like it has any thought into it.

The burger is also a lot smaller than the bun which is disappointing.

It was edible and it is better than Maccy D's but I would not go again....

dltV6w6.jpg

Also, normally I don't mind food served on wooden slabs but this is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Soldato
Raymond that whole thing looks really quite sad and disappointing haha.

I don't get what's happening to all the plates. It's much easier and simpler.

Reading some of this thread has reminded me of a burger place back home too. It's love thy burger. It's the only place I've ever had or seen Rosemary fries and they are amazing!

Caporegime
Raymond that whole thing looks really quite sad and disappointing haha.

I don't get what's happening to all the plates. It's much easier and simpler.

Reading some of this thread has reminded me of a burger place back home too. It's love thy burger. It's the only place I've ever had or seen Rosemary fries and they are amazing!

It was pretentious, bland, and not exactly cheap. I think it came to £12. I have no hesitation to say that a Whopper is better.

Soldato

Thankfully, the woman behind the till must have realised I was a noobie when I went, and warned me that the chip portions were enormous. I had initially ordered two large, we'd have been able to feed the entire Trafford Centre.

Back
Top Bottom