Big ol' Burger Comparison Thread

Soldato
So for those regulars of Five Guys, make me a couple of recommendations!
The beauty of Five Guys is you can have it exactly how you want. As above, be warned a 'regular' is 2 patties so is plenty big enough.

Personally I go with something like fried onions, gherkins, mustard, mayo and ketchup. Nothing else to get in the way. Lush.

So, just study the menu before you go and make it exactly what you want. Ain't more complicated than that.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
A large fries is 1300cals alone? They must taste awesome haha

They're pretty good but there's also enough of them to fill the bottom of the bag they put them in to at least a couple of inches in depth, me and my mate went for the first time and made the mistake of ordering 2 large fries.
We're both big guys but there was still leftovers!

Soldato
Out of curiosity, if I cook a burger to a point where the centre temperature has been hot enough for long enough to make the be"safe" how will it appear? Rare, med rare, medium?

still pinkish IME. If you mince your own beef then you can be less careful with the temperatures. The blades they use to mince beef in factories are the main source of contamination.

Man of Honour
Out of curiosity, if I cook a burger to a point where the centre temperature has been hot enough for long enough to make the be"safe" how will it appear? Rare, med rare, medium?

Have a read of the modernist cuisine books (or various places online that cover similar stuff). Get a Thermapen or the like too if you're really worried :)

Soldato
still pinkish IME. If you mince your own beef then you can be less careful with the temperatures. The blades they use to mince beef in factories are the main source of contamination.

Well, 'safe' would have to mean reducing the risk of common pathogens to around 100,000 fold. To do this at the core to a 'medium-rare' temperature, you would have to hold it at that temperature for a long time - it's just not possible to do that on a grill. You could sous-vide the burgers first and reverse-sear, which is really the only way to guarantee safety on a burger, otherwise you're always taking a (what should be v small) risk.

Soldato
So for those regulars of Five Guys, make me a couple of recommendations!

Regular Bacon Cheese Burger with Lettuce, Raw Onions and Mayo. Simple yet tasty. Sometimes throw some Jalapenos on there too.

Oh and treat yourself to a milkshake(Peanut Butter or Oreo for me), would be rude not to :p

TS7

TS7

Soldato
The chips at Five Guys are up their with some of the best I've had. I'm a veg and that's the only reason I go. Their veggie option is a bun with assorted vegetables, fair enough for at least providing an option for veggies but it's lacklustre.

Soldato
Broke my Patty & Bun Cherry today after my visit the the London Coffee Festival. Makes up for last year.

c2k8Qqt.jpg

Price about the same as Five Guys. Much better then FG. I do wish some of these places do burgers without cheese as standard though.

Soldato
So going to be in London this weekend and haven't been to Byron yet so going to give it a go! I was thinking of going for the B-Rex however was wondering if you guys had any recommendations/must haves?

Soldato
Are there no other burger joints you fancy trying? You can try a Byron virtually anywhere :)

Well we've done Patty and Bun a fair few times now and it is our favourite Burger in London however fancied trying something different. In the same vain we've also done Meat Liquor a few times and we've also done Five Guys and Shake Shack too.

So the reason for Byron was we have never been before so fancied giving it a go as it was somewhere new and talked about quite a bit, however if you have any other recommendations for London then please let me know, always happy to try out Burgers :D

Caporegime
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom