Big ol' Burger Comparison Thread

Soldato
I've been to smashburger. Disappointing tbh, and expensive. Burgers were tasty (I had the stilton stack - Chutney with rocket, haystack onions, applewood smoked bacon & stilton cheese on a Smash bun), but small (even the 'large' was 6.5oz). Milkshakes were hand-spun Haagen-daz and BEAUTIFUL... but £4.50 a pop. Fries might have well been burger king fries which is a joke when even a small portion costs £2.25. Overall, meh. Doubt ill go again.

5Y4wwDNh.jpg

Sorry, potato photo. Not really worth £15 with a shake tbh.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I think that is a problem of UK pricing. Over here smash burger is dirt cheap really. The smash fries with garlic and Parmesan are tasty but 5 guys are definitely better.

Smash burger just has tastier topping though.

Associate
Ill be in the states in a couple of weeks (first time) Ill be visitig San Fransisco, L.A and Vegas. In and out is on the list, any other must try places? Does not have be a burger though. Cheers

Soldato
There's a lot of threads on Vegas food but having done Cut one night and SW Steakhouse almost the night, after I would say SW was better. Best steak I've ever had. The bone in ribeye was stunning.

Man of Honour
Agreed! Even places like Almost Famous prices have been upped since when they first popped up as the secret eatery in NQ. Pretty sure their burgers used to be around £6 + £2 or so for fries. Now looking at £8-£12 + £2-£5 for fries iirc!

They've got to pay for their beard oil and check shirts somehow :p

Soldato
I've been to smashburger. Disappointing tbh, and expensive. Burgers were tasty (I had the stilton stack - Chutney with rocket, haystack onions, applewood smoked bacon & stilton cheese on a Smash bun), but small (even the 'large' was 6.5oz). Milkshakes were hand-spun Haagen-daz and BEAUTIFUL... but £4.50 a pop. Fries might have well been burger king fries which is a joke when even a small portion costs £2.25. Overall, meh. Doubt ill go again.

5Y4wwDNh.jpg

Holy **** £15? For that?????

Associate
I was quite lucky, found a Groupon for Brooklyn Bar in Leeds, £13 got me two burgers, 2 portions of chips (Really nice thin chips) and a big pile of cheesy nachos. All in all they were pretty good and easily on par with/better than those from Handmade Burger.co or Byrons.
qhXb8D0l.png.jpg
I had eaten the nachos before the burgers arrived as I was hungry from lugging a cast iron skillet around that I'd bought earlier :D

Soldato

That is really disappointing to hear. I was looking forward to trying it out, but now not so much. :(

Soldato
Honest Burger 1st visit (Covent garden). Burger itself was fine, but on the small side for what I paid & the fries, I think they scraped the bottom of the fryer for my serving, as a lot of them were small too & a few were amount to crisps. House salad was nice though.

exactly what I thought nice burger and fires but a tad on the miniature side.. good if your a hobbit or elf.

on the plus side I had some vouchers so cost nothing ;)

Soldato
I was quite lucky, found a Groupon for Brooklyn Bar in Leeds, £13 got me two burgers, 2 portions of chips (Really nice thin chips) and a big pile of cheesy nachos. All in all they were pretty good and easily on par with/better than those from Handmade Burger.co or Byrons.
qhXb8D0l.png.jpg
I had eaten the nachos before the burgers arrived as I was hungry from lugging a cast iron skillet around that I'd bought earlier :D

Never checked Brooklyn bar out, how does it compare to Meatliquor or Aire Bar burgers?

Soldato
Ill be in the states in a couple of weeks (first time) Ill be visitig San Fransisco, L.A and Vegas. In and out is on the list, any other must try places? Does not have be a burger though. Cheers

Tried In n Out at Fishermans Wharf in San Fran and it was terrible, McDonalds was head and shoulders above it.

As mentioned get to Holstiens in the Cosmopolitan in Vegas as it's supposed to be epic (I couldn't remember what it was called when there so kicking myself that I didn't go)

Soldato
SW Steakhouse in Vegas. It'll break the bank but my gosh is the bone -in ribeye worth it. Much better than the Cut by the way.

Edit: Stout Burger in LA is great by the way. Check it out. Great beers too if you hadn't guessed from the name.

Last edited:
Soldato
I dunno what Maundie is talking about, In n Out is fantastic, I'd never dream of comparing it to McDonalds. I'm sure most would agree too. Double Double, animal style is what you want.

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
Had my first Honest Burger and I was very impressed. Not quite Patty and Bun level but close.

Desperate to try Dip n Flip. I love gravy.

Back
Top Bottom