Big ol' Burger Comparison Thread

Soldato
I dunno what Maundie is talking about, In n Out is fantastic, I'd never dream of comparing it to McDonalds. I'm sure most would agree too. Double Double, animal style is what you want.

Wasn't just me the missus left hers, we had McDonald's in Vegas and it was much nicer than In N Out in my opinion.

Have one and make up your own mind but I definitely won't be having another when we go back to San Fran.

Soldato
Thanks will try to check these places out. Shame about in and out burger, I thought it was supposed to be fantastic!

http://frenchsoulfood.com/ We went here for breakfast when last in San Francisco and it was excellent. Sunday brunch - pulled pork eggs benedict, was incredible. Was a bit of a queue but you write your name up on the board and then wait (we waited about 15 mins).

Associate
Just wanted to add me and the misses had a five guys and after the shock of the price for 2 takeaway burgers we were really surprised! One of the best burgers I have had.

Caporegime
Wasn't just me the missus left hers, we had McDonald's in Vegas and it was much nicer than In N Out in my opinion.

Have one and make up your own mind but I definitely won't be having another when we go back to San Fran.

Ina nd Out is leagues above McDonalds. I have hardly ever lowered myself to eat at McD's only in the most desperate of circumstances, e.g. airport at 4am and not eaten in 18 hours kind of starvation. In and ut is not as good as 5 Guys or smash burger, somewhere above Wendy's/jack in the box/sonic. However, with all of these higher end fast food places things are made fresh form scratch so it does actually rely on the skill of the people cooking it and the manager properly over-viewing the process.

I was at 5 guys recently and a new hire was getting a right *******ing form the store manager because he took the fries out too early.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I was at 5 guys recently and a new hire was getting a right *******ing form the store manager because he took the fries out too early.

If they treat their staff like that, it sounds like a place I don't want to give my custom to.

Oh, and FYI, not all McDonalds in America are the same, unlike over here....

Associate
Im shopping at the Metro Centre tomorrow, being a Northener with none of these fancy pants burger places in my local area, I was overjoyed to see the Metro now has Byrons, Five Guys etc etc.

Which should I try first - Byron or Five Guys?

Associate
Im shopping at the Metro Centre tomorrow, being a Northener with none of these fancy pants burger places in my local area, I was overjoyed to see the Metro now has Byrons, Five Guys etc etc.

Which should I try first - Byron or Five Guys?

Ended up at Five Guys. Verdict:

• I knew the price before I went, but my god actually bringing myself to pay prices like this. £25 on a burger, fries and drink just for 2 people.
  • Cheese and bacon burger was good, but honestly, I've made better at home
  • Fries were very nice, the highlight
  • Drinks, oh my, I never knew so many varities of coke/fanta were available. Got my moneys worth in refills working my way through tasting as many as I could
  • Service was terrible, again price is a factor, table service should be a thing at this price
  • Would I go back? Once in a blue moon maybe, but for the money I'd rather eat elsewhere for better food, better service, better surroundings etc.

Last edited:
Associate
Just went to Five Guys and as nice as it is I'd rather just go to Annie's Burger Shack in Nottingham because for the same sort of price you get table service and a much wider selection.

Soldato
Had a Five Guys the other week for the first time and was disappointed. It was no different to a subway sandwich. Who does their marketing btw? LOL at the tacky Arial font everywhere! Suffice it to say I've had plenty of restaurant burger meals elsewhere that were cheaper, tasted much nicer along with a better ambience.

Man of Honour
went and found the honest burger they've opened in bank yesterday - its about 2min walk from our office, so very very dangerous & they do breakfast :D

The tribute to bacon was bloody good, thick bacon and a bacon gravy, lovely and juicy :)

Soldato
Going to be in Bristol town centre for a couple of hours on Saturday and I'm trying to convince the other half to go to Byron so we can try it for the first time but she wants to go to Five Guys :(

I like Five guys but we've been a few times now and I would like to try somewhere different.

Soldato
Went to Byrons on Earls Court road about a week ago after deciding to randomly visit some Museums. Couldn't make up my mind so I went with a bog standard Byron burger as the other ones were either OTT or just had stuff in them I didn't want.

Topped that off with some Onion Rings and a Salted Caramel milkshake. The shake as usual for Byrons was absolutely superb. The burger was very juicy but not filling enough and the Onion Rings, mirroring my last experience at the Leicester branch was absolutely dire - full of oil. Total meal came to £23 including a small bottle of Ginger beer iirc.

Soldato
The girlfriend has been raving on about a place called Shake Shack which she went to in New York. Found out there is one in Cardif so we are going to go check it out. I'm expecting big things

Associate
The girlfriend has been raving on about a place called Shake Shack which she went to in New York. Found out there is one in Cardif so we are going to go check it out. I'm expecting big things

The burgers from Shake Shack are good but they are expensive and the portion sizes are tiny.

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato

I wouldn't expect much. Worse than Five Guys and they're nothing special in themselves.

Soldato
I went to the Handmade Burger Co today, better than Five Guys I think, might have been a smidgen more money but the whole experience was much better. The burgers were a bit more interesting and it came on a plate! Tasted good too.

The thing for me that lets Five Guys down is the service, which is little more than an posh McDonalds in comparison. For the money that you pay I really expect them to offer some kind of table service like everywhere else.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom