Big ol' Burger Comparison Thread

Soldato
My wife has heard of this place and wants to try it next time we are in Dublin.

http://www.bunsen.ie/

The guy who set it up worked at The Fat Duck for a while. Spent time working in various Michelin starred restaurants and decided it wasn't what he wanted to do. The burgers they do are very simple but people are really raving about them. He sought out the best ingredients he could down to picking a particular breed of tomato from a specific supplier and getting burger rolls made fresh to his recipe every day.

https://vimeo.com/68293290

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Went to Five Guy's in the Trafford Centre, wow I was so disappointed, ordered the Cheese burger with bacon and fries with drink. She got my order wrong, the price is way too much, and most importantly the burger sucked. I went with my GF and it came to £29. I didn't even finish it all. So disappointed right now.

Should have read the OP

Soldato
my second ever five guys came today, and to be honest i found my first one disappointing this one was much better

I had the cheeseburger so double burger, gerkins, onion, chillis, mushrooms and hot sauce.

very easy to eat, blooming lovely. I was quite surprised. it cost £13.00 with chips and a drink so was not cheap but decent enough

You do have to load it up with toppings mind you

Soldato
Went to 7 Bone in bournemouth on tuesday, had a Hot Dog with fries which was bloody lush, then washed it down with a Snickers, Peanut Butter and Bourbon shake.... I felt pregnant afterwards.

It was 2-4-1 on some tasty cocktails as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
There's several burger chains all close together in Glasgow city centre. I've tried Gourmet Burger Kitchen and Handmade Burger Company, but I've not tried Five Guys yet.

Their menu seems kind of minimal, other than the fact you can customise the toppings you want. But even then there's not that big a selection of toppings on offer.

Soldato
Anyone been to Flaming Cow in Eton? They've opened a new place in Ealing. Burgers look pretty awesome :o

Thank you for alerting me to this, I will check it out soon!

Never understood why Byron didn't open in Ealing, bit stuck on the burger front here, but then I usually just get pizza if i'm after some fast food!

Soldato
Never understood why Byron didn't open in Ealing, bit stuck on the burger front here, but then I usually just get pizza if i'm after some fast food!
Uh oh. We're probably neighbours :eek: :p

Limeyard is our go-to place in Ealing and although I've never had a burger there I saw a few go past last time and they looked decent. I'm addicted to the ribs and the girlfriend is addicted to the fried chicken is all :D

EDIT: There is the Five Guys but according to this thread that's rather divisive..

daz

daz

Soldato
Fancied Steak In the end so went to Flat Iron on Henrietta Street worst choice it was nice way to expensive for what you get it was a really small portion for £15 (and thats just for steak before extras) I really dont get the glowing reviews for this place I saw the plates coming out next to me and thought what is that little cut up bits of steak but it was tiny.

I think I will go for American style places next time they are far better for a group.

I've always thought Flat Iron is great value, especially for central London.

Soldato
Yeah, Flat Iron is well regarded as the best value steak in London. :confused: It's £10 with no sides! You can barely get a decent steak in London for less than £25-30.

I don't know how you can argue with this for about £16 all in:

Cip8d3FXEAISHlL.jpg

Associate
Yeah, Flat Iron is well regarded as the best value steak in London. :confused: It's £10 with no sides! You can barely get a decent steak in London for less than £25-30.

I don't know how you can argue with this for about £16 all in:

Cip8d3FXEAISHlL.jpg

wow! I need to pay them a visit! That's amazing for just £16... :)

Soldato
Uh oh. We're probably neighbours :eek: :p

Limeyard is our go-to place in Ealing and although I've never had a burger there I saw a few go past last time and they looked decent. I'm addicted to the ribs and the girlfriend is addicted to the fried chicken is all :D

EDIT: There is the Five Guys but according to this thread that's rather divisive..

Probably! I haven't tried lime yard but heard mixed reviews - I'd highly recommend W5 If you've not been yet, nice place to go for drinks as well!

Anyway back on topic - flatiron is indeed great value, quite how anyone can find it expensive is beyond me!

Caporegime
There's several burger chains all close together in Glasgow city centre. I've tried Gourmet Burger Kitchen and Handmade Burger Company, but I've not tried Five Guys yet.

Their menu seems kind of minimal, other than the fact you can customise the toppings you want. But even then there's not that big a selection of toppings on offer.

The menu is purposely minimal. You order burgers, add some toppings, and thats it. there is any freid chicken, fish sandwhich or other stuff. They specialize in making good burgers without any fuss or pretentious frills on the side.

Soldato
Just back from watching tennis at the O2 and had planned to pop into Byrons for a bite to eat. Knocked on the window to ask why the doors were shut over an hour before closing time to be told they'd run out of burgers. Great!!

Popped into Five Guys round the corner. All i really have to say is...the spicy chips were nice and the ice cubes for soft drinks were a good size. Shame about the naff burger.

Soldato
been getting five guys delivery's for a while now, its expensive compared to the local kebab shop lol...

Anyhow of to the game at spurs later and will have our obligatory Patty and Buns

Back
Top Bottom