• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Black Friday/cyber Monday - what would count as worth buying?

Associate
With a January 11th delivery ETA I’m gonna call it and say they have no stock. ;)
This is certainly the case. I've noticed that retailer has been pulling a lot of shenanigans like that this year, advertising low sale prices but without having any actual stock deliverable anytime soon. Then again, so do many other retailers with how they advertise the deals and adjust pricing up a month before the sales.

E.g. I had originally ordered a 1TB SSD from that place last weekend, which gave me a delivery ETA after Christmas. I happened to be casually browsing the OCUK Black Friday deals section and noticed the same item at the same price and in stock. So naturally I cancelled the other one and re-ordered at OCUK. It arrived yesterday along with my 7800X3D :)

I also have a PSU on order from the same place, again with ETA in January. But I've seen that the manufacturer's site has the same price with free shipping. So I'll probably cancel the original order, buy direct from the manufacturer and get it sooner.

Also really nice of OCUK to bring the 7800X3D price back for anyone that missed it. I was not expecting to bag such a bargain on mine.

OcUK Staff
No game code ;)

And this, they are just followers and also have no stock, clutching at straws.

Shall be putting price back to £349 shortly, you will see a few hours later they will also match the higher price, I shall try and repeat this low price for weekend but as can be expected when we undercut the entire UK market by a solid £20, which is a few pints down the pub we sell a shed load of them, to those also buying other stuff from us in their orders, it is greatly appreciated, thank you. :)

Associate
That usually happens with models that are being replaced with new ones. Doesn't mean the ones going away are bad but they aren't the newest anymore, hence the justified price drop.
Not at all. Some amazing sales on. New model tumble driers half price. It's all knowing what you are after though. New oled monitors with 450 pounds off etc etc

Associate
Not at all. Some amazing sales on. New model tumble driers half price. It's all knowing what you are after though. New oled monitors with 450 pounds off etc etc
How many in the sea of older models, though? The key word in what I wrote is "usually". There are exceptions but really not many.

Caporegime
Just thought as this is both a Gsync Compatible and Freesync premium i'm not limited to just a Nvidia card anymore

4080 or 7900 XT, hmmm decisions

Last edited:
Man of Honour
£475 Vs £1100 ?

That's an easy one!

Depends whether ray tracing and similar future technologies are important to you - the 7800XT puts up decent performance in traditional rasterisation but in games which use ray tracing or similar tech it can even fall back to struggling against the 3070/4060ti.

Associate
oops meant 7900XT!

£740 vs £1100, another easy one :p

@Rroff I don't see any reason to purchase AMD other than for traditional rasterisation and/or value for money.

If someones use case requires any of Nvidias benifits, that's the card for them!

Choosing a card is straight forward when you know what you're going to use it for and what your budget is :D

Last edited:
Associate
Depends whether ray tracing and similar future technologies are important to you - the 7800XT puts up decent performance in traditional rasterisation but in games which use ray tracing or similar tech it can even fall back to struggling against the 3070/4060ti.
giving advice on cards based on RT is fools errand.
99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of games dont even have RT

people smoked nvidias marketing to much

Man of Honour
giving advice on cards based on RT is fools errand.
99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of games dont even have RT

people smoked nvidias marketing to much

Games are increasingly starting to incorporate those kind of technologies, some games making better use of it than others, where it is done well it is a significant increase in the visual fidelity of the world.

Reviews like this cover it fairly well with grouping games into those with more traditional rendering, those which are just starting to use a hybrid of some newer tech and those with ray tracing options:

Caporegime
Games are increasingly starting to incorporate those kind of technologies, some games making better use of it than others, where it is done well it is a significant increase in the visual fidelity of the world.

Reviews like this cover it fairly well with grouping games into those with more traditional rendering, those which are just starting to use a hybrid of some newer tech and those with ray tracing options:

Not to mention that it isn't just a case of being able to enable ray tracing anymore, ray reconstruction/dlss 3.5 provides significantly better iq as well as running even better and of course you have the whole upscaling and frame gen not even being in the same league. Basically as usual, you go through a check list to say you'll never use xyz and be saving whatever sum of money by essentially being happy to miss out on xyz features (which is ok, nothing wrong with this)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Not to mention that it isn't just a case of being able to enable ray tracing anymore, ray reconstruction/dlss 3.5 provides significantly better iq as well as running even better and of course you have the whole upscaling and frame gen not even being in the same league. Basically as usual, you go through a check list to say you'll never use xyz and be saving whatever sum of money by essentially being happy to miss out on xyz features (which is ok, nothing wrong with this)

There are a lot of games right now to be fair which don't sell ray tracing features (Hogwarts Legacy for instance where it actually looks better without - though it would look amazing built ground up for path tracing), but increasingly games are making use of such tech, even if only in a minor capacity, so it is certainly a factor to consider with GPU purchases.

Caporegime
There are a lot of games right now to be fair which don't sell ray tracing features (Hogwarts Legacy for instance where it actually looks better without - though it would look amazing built ground up for path tracing), but increasingly games are making use of such tech, even if only in a minor capacity, so it is certainly a factor to consider with GPU purchases.

Games have been making use of RT for a good while now, at least the last 1-2 years, most new games coming out that people care about has had RT in some form (await someone to link me a most played/chart showing games that came out 10+ years ago with no RT :D)

But yes, some games can be awful for their RT implementation and not worthwhile, mostly amd sponsored ones. Hogwarts was the first game I turned it off though as it was fundamentally broken (and even the raster effects were broken :o), shame as the game could have looked so much better with a good RT implementation.

I reckon over the next 2 years now, we'll start to see path tracing becoming more common, certainly with nvidia technical sponsored titles now. I hope we don't see the inferior lumen/software version of UE 5 RT take over or at the very least, developers provide hardware RT mode to allow gpus with the power to stretch their legs.

Soldato
It won’t be dropping more as AMDs Black Friday CPU deals started at midnight last night hence it been £329 though it’s supposedly to be £349, my error so best to order now and quick. ;)

Well, my wife thanks you in advance then, I picked her up one for her new build; had thought it was a good price, but didn't realise it was a misprice; you beat the famous rainforest by £35 lol

I only wish there were some GPUs appreciably faster than a 3080 available at a somewhat reasonable price. Hopefully next year.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom