• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Black Friday/cyber Monday - what would count as worth buying?

Soldato
Amen to that - I've got money burning a hole in my pocket but no way am I spending it on anything current.
Agreed, we're in a similar bind. I've got the money to do it; just can't justify £740+ for the relative increase that's available; especially as I'd be looking to do it for both my and the wife's build.

If the 4070Ti was around 500 (I just missed a misprice on one for ~580 which I almost pulled the trigger on), or the 7900XT was in the same ballpark, maybe 599-699 (the price of a 3080 on launch several years ago), I'd seriously consider it, as at THAT price, it'd be worth considering, but I just cannot justify £750-900 for a decent increase (7900XT/XTX). The 4070Ti at it's current official £799 pricing is a joke, given the relative uplift that card offers.

Hoping we see something considerably better from the upcoming Super, or AMDs 8000 series (as sounds like they've decided to target price rather than performance), and may actually bring the 7900XT/XTX performance tier down to ~7800XT pricing.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's also true. Same as the people with high end projectors/OLEDs but who still use the TV speakers, there's no point if your system is completely imbalanced.

In me and the wife's case she has a 3840x1600 WQHD ultrawide IPS, and I've got a 1440p165 IPS monitor, no decent HDR, but otherwise decent, so we can make use of more power; especially with some newer titles actually being demanding (especially with RT etc enabled)!

Last edited:
Associate
£529 for 7959X3D would be nice... Like it was just a month ago. Or £799 for 7900XTX like it was in July... Black Friday? More like Scam Friday

Associate
£529 for 7959X3D would be nice... Like it was just a month ago. Or £799 for 7900XTX like it was in July... Black Friday? More like Scam Friday
I know! just look at the

Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card for example. This has now gone up to £1,099.99! that was £1,079 before black friday i think. they talk about saving people money and how they have broke even by selling at such a low price. but i think they have put the price up to compensate for the low price the other day. so they will get thier monies back!

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Just had a look and they want £320 for a 5800X3D!

These were like £260 at one point many months ago. Was hoping they would drop to £250 as a family member is considering getting one.

For £330 you got the 7800X3D with a game. Lol

Associate
Most PC gamers would benefit from upgrading their monitors rather than their GPUs. They amount of high end rigs I see hooked to subpar monitors is insane.
you needed to post a good deal on monitors then...
I got the oled early summer as it was priced lowest in 2 years.
really kick some pretty visuals

Associate
you needed to post a good deal on monitors then...
I got the oled early summer as it was priced lowest in 2 years.
really kick some pretty visuals
I can recommend LG 32GR93U or 27GR93U (depending which size you fancy) - if you find a deal somewhere, wink wink

IMHO OLEDs are not there yet.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, I'd agree with that, the monitor side at least. I've got a second OLED TV coming, as the first has been fantastic, regardless of content, and no burn issues yet touch wood, even when we have gamed quite a bit on it, but we also ensure we do run mixed content on it, so it's not permanently staring at the same elements day in day out.
Monitors on the other hand are more specifically looking at static content/elements for huge amounts of thier run time and thus they need to take care here, especially as there is a double edged sword of wanting to push better HDR/Brighter, which increases risk of burn.

So far the most reliable OLED SEEMS to be the one used by the Switch, but Nintendo obviously don't run real HDR on that, or high brightness, and I suspect spent some time working with manufacturers on optimisations with reduced burn-in/residuals, something which most monitor manufacturers just aren't going to spend as much time on as someone like Nintendo, whilst trying to push far higher brightness and HDR than Nintendo have either. The SD OLED is meant to use the same screen as the Switch OLED, and I have to wonder if that will prove more vulnerable, due to pushing higher brightness and HDR levels, and by my understanding brightness/heat are the primary causes of accelerated deterioration for them.

One of these days we'll have a tech that is everything to all men, but neither mini/microLED or OLED are 100% perfect yet.

Last edited:
Associate
I know! just look at the

Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card for example. This has now gone up to £1,099.99! that was £1,079 before black friday i think. they talk about saving people money and how they have broke even by selling at such a low price. but i think they have put the price up to compensate for the low price the other day. so they will get thier monies back!

7950X3D was JUST edited to 529 pounds... who knows, maybe there will be some GPU deal worth looking at after all? 899 for AsRock isn't it.

Associate
I know! just look at the

They were around £1028 a couple of days ago as I was tempted but thought I'd get it ordered at the weekend when I have a bit more time to order that and a motherboard.
It's a shame they went up in price as I now won't be buying the GFX or the motherboard from here.

Associate
There was a shaver I was going to buy on Amazon - looked today and it says "60% off Black Friday deal" but the price is actually £10 more than last week & it's the same seller

• Haha
Reactions: TNA
OcUK Staff
I said I was determined to get a 7700 XT under £400, well Gigabyte have done me a deal:

• SKU: GRA-GIG-01266
  • EAN: 4719331314446
  • MPN: GV-R77XTGAMING OC-12GD

GV-R77XTGAMING OC-12GD, Core Clock: 2276MHz, Boost Clock: 2599MHz, Memory: 12288MB 18000MHz GDDR6, Stream Processors: 3456, DirectX 12 Support, Vulkan Support, RDNA, Freesync 2 HDR support, 3yr Warranty

£480 (incl. VAT)
£400 (incl. VAT)

OcUK Staff
Would be a bit mad to not spend the additional £75 for the pulse 7800xt?

Yes agreed, just making people aware OcUK has got one under £400 and with any luck that will push more AIB's to follow. :)

Of course the 7800 XT's will all be sold out next week anyway, once restocked will also all be £500 plus, so in short grab a 7800 XT whilst can as next year were expecting those to cost quite a bit more or just be very short.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I said I was determined to get a 7700 XT under £400, well Gigabyte have done me a deal:

• SKU: GRA-GIG-01266
  • EAN: 4719331314446
  • MPN: GV-R77XTGAMING OC-12GD

GV-R77XTGAMING OC-12GD, Core Clock: 2276MHz, Boost Clock: 2599MHz, Memory: 12288MB 18000MHz GDDR6, Stream Processors: 3456, DirectX 12 Support, Vulkan Support, RDNA, Freesync 2 HDR support, 3yr Warranty

£480 (incl. VAT)
£400 (incl. VAT)

Not sure if you said if you was determined to get the 5800X3D down to the magical £250 mark. But if you ever did, now if the time Gibbo :D

Back
Top Bottom