BMW and M Power Owners

Man of Honour
On my E92, the start/stop has a mind of its own. In the 7 months I've had the car it's never activated start/stop at all, I never turned it off I just figured it'd perhaps been remapped out, Yesterday on a long drive it started turning engine off at lights and showing start/stop on dash.
It's not something I miss or want so I'll just turn it off using the button on the dash but should I be concerned that its intermittent/faulty?

It will only do it if a set of criteria is met, one of which is battery charge level over a certain amount.

Caporegime
And another thing....

If you do have to replace the battery you may well have to have it “coded” to the car otherwise the car will assume it’s still got a weak battery and not charge it correctly.

Caporegime
On my E92, the start/stop has a mind of its own. In the 7 months I've had the car it's never activated start/stop at all, I never turned it off I just figured it'd perhaps been remapped out, Yesterday on a long drive it started turning engine off at lights and showing start/stop on dash.
It's not something I miss or want so I'll just turn it off using the button on the dash but should I be concerned that its intermittent/faulty?

Do you normally only ever do short journeys?

Soldato
Weak battery perhaps?

The stop/start ceased functioning on my partners Focus, occasionally it would randomly work, eventually we replaced the battery and it started working normally as expected again.

Another thing, check what type of battery it has, it should have a heavy duty large capacity one.
If you replace the battery with a standard one the stop start won’t work - my brother in law found this with his old f10, changed the battery at a fast fit centre, the stop start wouldn’t work when it went to BMWto investigate the issue they put the correct battery in and it worked again.

This.

If you are really lucky, the stop/start might just save enough fuel over the expensive heavy duty batteries life time to pay for its replacement when the loads imposed by stop/start eventually kills it.

Soldato
This.

If you are really lucky, the stop/start might just save enough fuel over the expensive heavy duty batteries life time to pay for its replacement when the loads imposed by stop/start eventually kills it.

I was worried about the effects of stop/start on the battery and other engine components but I then watched a vid where it was explained that the effect would be minimal, yep I too was surprised. My F30 has it and I just leave it on but there have been a few times where I've thought what the hell as it killed the engine just as I'm about to pull away on waiting for a gap to enter a roundabout :eek:

Caporegime
I was worried about the effects of stop/start on the battery and other engine components but I then watched a vid where it was explained that the effect would be minimal, yep I too was surprised. My F30 has it and I just leave it on but there have been a few times where I've thought what the hell as it killed the engine just as I'm about to pull away on waiting for a gap to enter a roundabout :eek:
My partners f20 does this, it seems to pick the most inoportune moment to stop the engine!

Soldato
My m135 is awful for start stop, there seems to be no pattern as to when it will work. Sometimes it does it frequently and other times hardly ever. I can stop at the same junctions/temporary traffic lights and get a different outcome each time.

Soldato
My start stop is generally quite consistent though i generally turn it off. The most annoying time is when I'm about to park up so obviously in D, come to a complete stop, and between stopping and me engaging Reverse it stop-starts :( A mate has a 440i who moves between D and R while the vehicle is still moving and i cringed so much each time he did it :( Maybe I'm being too careful with mine :p

Soldato
Has anyone took their car to the dealers for work done and had their dashcam unplugged?

Picked mine up today after they’ve had it with them for 6 days and found the usb power cable unplugged. I can’t think of any reason to do this other than to let them rag it about?

They had also disabled the gps so the car couldn’t be located via the bmw app.

Why do you feel you should be able to spy on them in their private place of work?

I would personally always unplug it if it was me working.

I suppose you would be okay to have a camera pointed at you wherever you work right? After all, if you have nothing to hide...

Soldato
Why do you feel you should be able to spy on them in their private place of work?

I would personally always unplug it if it was me working.

I suppose you would be okay to have a camera pointed at you wherever you work right? After all, if you have nothing to hide...

I don’t care to watch hours of footage of a car being worked on though I’m sure many would due to the poor attitudes many mechanics have towards their customers. I do, however, want to see footage of my car being driven over 60 miles on the road. Given that this dealer fits dash cams in their cars, which record customers, I fail to see any excuse for preventing me from doing the same.

I also don’t appreciate them giving me the car back with the cable left unplugged and out of sight.

As a side note, I’m observed at work all the time, anyone can walk in on me and make judgements and it doesn’t bother me one bit, so you’re exactly right, nothing to hide = no problem.

You don’t see people complaining about cctv at work, people simply ignore it and do their job, unless they’re trying to clock out early or steal something. I’m sure 99% of people with dash cams also ignore any captured footage from a visit to a garage. Mechanics seem to think that people take their car home, download the footage and whip out the popcorn like it’s some sort of soap opera. At best they look to see if it was disconnected or if they ragged it on a test drive. Anything else is simply going to be boring footage.

Don
Anyone got the Logic 7 system in the E63/E64 6-Series? Trying to decide whether it's worth tracking down a car with it fitted or just ignoring it and upgrading whatever is fitted to the base version.
I like my car hifi a lot and love the Bowers and Wilkins system in my XJ. I had the Logic 7 system in my old 750i and it was OK.

Soldato
Anyone got the Logic 7 system in the E63/E64 6-Series? Trying to decide whether it's worth tracking down a car with it fitted or just ignoring it and upgrading whatever is fitted to the base version.
I like my car hifi a lot and love the Bowers and Wilkins system in my XJ. I had the Logic 7 system in my old 750i and it was OK.

What sort of budget and car are you looking for? I'm going to be selling mine shortly (2008 facelift 650i cab with decent spec).

Soldato
When are you looking to sell? I've got to get the Jag sold which shouldn't take too long.

I've just started looking for my next car but no immediate rush. It was going to go up in the next few weeks with the idea of when it sells I'll buy something new (or if someone new comes along that I jump on I'll just have the two cars for a bit until the 650i sells).

Back
Top Bottom