BMW and M Power Owners

Transmission breaker
Don
Which is largely why I've never really understood the 750i in this country. It's a car for covering huge distance.. yet it requires continual refuelling and its probably cheaper just to get a chauffeur to take you places...

You don't mind that level of thirst on some sort of high performance coupe/cabrio but on a big luxobarge?

Somethings are intangible, and frankly the fact it does not really make sense to people also appeals to me in some minor sense.

The truth is no one has to justify their purchases to anyone, and if it makes you smile and hurts no one. Just do what you want :D

Caporegime
Drove to Goodwood the other day in my F11, and occasionally I noticed the wheel 'vibrating' on medium-heavy braking at 40+mph

It's due for a service in 1500 miles but it was less than a year ago it had new brake pads.

Should I be concerned? It's usually so smooth.

Could be tyres. Alignment. Dead cyclist. Other issues.
Is it purely on braking? When were the discs last replaced? Have the wheels been off any point recently?

Caporegime
No, it sucks generally in this country - the sound quality is inferior to FM and the nature of digital is such that in patchy signal areas where you'd pick up enough FM to get by for a bit you get nothing on DAB.

The only benefit I've found with DAB is a wider choice of stations.

FM is easily better than DAB even with just the base spec F10 audio (which isn’t terrible granted). Agree it’s a dead end technology.

Soldato
DAB worked flawlessly in my F10 down south. Never ever used to skip or cut out during my commutes to most of the M4 corridor. That was at 192kbps which is far superior to any FM signal

Man of Honour
DAB worked flawlessly in my F10 down south. Never ever used to skip or cut out during my commutes to most of the M4 corridor. That was at 192kbps which is far superior to any FM signal

Virtually every station is broadcast at 128kbps, only Radio 3 is higher.

DAB technically provides lower audio quality than FM in the UK due to 98% of stereo stations using a bit rate level of 128 kbit/s with the MP2 audio codec, which provides poorer sound quality than FM-quality (assuming good reception on both DAB and FM).

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I do love DAB, but then it’s only because I listen to stations like Radio 5 Live and talksport 99% of the time and FM/AM is terrible quality for those. Never get any kind of drop outs

However with music stations, I usually use FM as it just sounds a bit better for music, DAB always sounds quite flat

Associate
300 miles to a tank is fairly standard. I can get up to 400 on some long runs.
Its usually over £100 to fill up (Just under 90 litres from dead empty)
It's basically about 33p a mile :D

That sounds familiar. I think my tank must be a bit smaller but, yes, 300 miles to a tank mostly around town driving, with a bit of distance at the weekends. I've only done 2000-2500 miles since I bought the car in March.

Is the 750i the 4.4T or previous shape 4.8NA?

As for DAB, I notice a lot of annoying drop outs listening to Kisstory. Very few drop outs listening to BBC stations. I am convinced it's a BMW issue. Had plenty of hire cars over the years and not experienced the amount of drop outs that I do in my own car.

Transmission breaker
Don
Is the 750i the 4.4T or previous shape 4.8NA?

As for DAB, I notice a lot of annoying drop outs listening to Kisstory. Very few drop outs listening to BBC stations. I am convinced it's a BMW issue. Had plenty of hire cars over the years and not experienced the amount of drop outs that I do in my own car.

It's the 4.8 na, prone to valve stem seal wear! Mine needs doing soon, coming up to 80k.

Back
Top Bottom