BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Thoughts on BMW Warranty for my Z4 35iS? I bought it with the balance of an Approved Used Warranty which has just run out. It was originally a no-brainer as I was doing ~18k p/a in it, but I've moved closer to work now and will only cover 5-7k at a guess. It's a 64 plate so I believe is less likely to suffer the fuel pump issues, but there's the scary adaptive suspension which could go wrong and ofcourse the roof (though these are considerably more reliable than the E85/6).

Comes in at:
£100 excess + Emergency Cover = £70 / month
£250 excess + Emergency Cover = £56 / month
£100 excess = £61 / month
£250 excess = £45 / month

I do have breakdown cover with my bank account so don't really need the emergency cover, BUT I do like the idea of a guaranteed courtesy car if coming from that route as BMW Bath have terrible car coverage, you have to book 6 weeks + in advance just to get a crappy Mini One D courtesy. Useless for repairs.

Man of Honour
The hire car is the main benefit of the Emergency Service - you actually get breakdown cover without it as part of the warranty, but only the recovery portion.

Those prices seem very expensive. Are you using the correct details from the letter to get the reduced renewal price? I renewed it on my Mums E89 and it was much less than that, £400ish for £100 excess comprehensive I seem to remember.

Soldato
The hire car is the main benefit of the Emergency Service - you actually get breakdown cover without it as part of the warranty, but only the recovery portion.

Those prices seem very expensive. Are you using the correct details from the letter to get the reduced renewal price? I renewed it on my Mums E89 and it was much less than that, £400ish for £100 excess comprehensive I seem to remember.

I actually never received a renewal letter, maybe I should phone instead of use the website? My only dealings with it were in person at BMW Bath and they just plonked the key in the thing and said 'oh yes it's got approved warranty so nothing to pay' and that was that really.

Man of Honour
I actually never received a renewal letter, maybe I should phone instead of use the website? My only dealings with it were in person at BMW Bath and they just plonked the key in the thing and said 'oh yes it's got approved warranty so nothing to pay' and that was that really.

That's the new customer price, call BMW warranty.

Associate
I'm thinking that the time has come to sell my F14 and wondered if you guys could give pointers on the best place to advertise? I read so much on here about the horrors of AutoTrader :(.

The car is a late 2016 640d. 12K miles.

Any advice appreciated! Thanks.

Last edited:
Soldato
If anyone's in the market for an M4 CS Lancaster BMW Milton Keynes have a brand new one that they never managed to sell and is now for sale as a pre-reg...

...with £18,000 knocked off the new price!!!

Wish I could afford the £75K they are still asking for it!

Permabanned
If anyone's in the market for an M4 CS Lancaster BMW Milton Keynes have a brand new one that they never managed to sell and is now for sale as a pre-reg...

...with £18,000 knocked off the new price!!!

Wish I could afford the £75K they are still asking for it!

Not that special IMO... and the interior is unpleasant... can't rest your arm on the door card because of the weird angle its at.

Soldato
So I finally got a response from the local dealer regarding my complaint with the seat being stained from jeans and paint coming off the front bumper.

The seat is not deemed a manufacturer defect as it wasn't stained from the factory - almost went as far as suggest user error to which I asked if BMW provided a warning not to wear jeans in light coloured leather seats.

The paint was a surprise though. They said the bumper had received paint previously which is why it's flaked off. Asked the dealer I bought the car from who were also the original sellers of the car and they have no record of the car receiving paint. I'll be going up a body repair shop later today for a 2nd opinion. Would rather they do it anyway as they are very highly regarded.

To be fair, I'm not overly excited by either issue. Was more to see how the local dealer handled it. Given it took them 3 weeks just to give me an answer it doesn't bode well if there is a serious issue with the car. What I find more irritating is when they start talking about different groups. IMHO, if you buy used approved it shouldn't matter where or from which group you bought the car from. Was looking at the M3 they had in the showroom at £70K. I'd be fuming if I had this kind of issue and level of service after spending what is, for round here, house money on a car.

Soldato
I'm not sure I follow your complaint about jean dye. I think I was taught at school that colour (not just from jeans) will transfer.

However, I haven't come across a leather cleaner yet that doesn't remove it easily. I don't really see how this is BMWs issue.

Soldato
I'm not sure I follow your complaint about jean dye. I think I was taught at school that colour (not just from jeans) will transfer.

However, I haven't come across a leather cleaner yet that doesn't remove it easily. I don't really see how this is BMWs issue.

It clearly is an issue for BMW as you would not expect a car with only 7K miles on the clock to have blue staining on the seats. The staining is ingrained into the leather and won't come off. Even the dealers had a go at it yesterday and couldn't get it off and agreed that the seat base is discoloured.

If that is something you'd be happy with then fair enough. I've had similar light coloured seats with over 100K and they were not stained so for me, it's an issue.

Soldato
It clearly is an issue for BMW as you would not expect a car with only 7K miles on the clock to have blue staining on the seats. The staining is ingrained into the leather and won't come off. Even the dealers had a go at it yesterday and couldn't get it off and agreed that the seat base is discoloured.

If that is something you'd be happy with then fair enough. I've had similar light coloured seats with over 100K and they were not stained so for me, it's an issue.
If you washed a white shirt with a new pair of dark blue jeans and it came out stained would you raise hell about that too?
Maybe complain to the maker of the jeans? Maybe their dye is faulty?

Soldato
And it probably is. And yes, actually, it's very similar. It's hot at the moment, your sweaty gooch is perspiring against warm seats where the natural oils in the leather are excreting. It's near on the perfect storm for dye transfer. However, I have had both beige leather, and silverstone leater (which is about as white as you can get) and both times I've had ingrained stains, it's come out with nothing more than leather cleaner and a nailbrush.

Back
Top Bottom