BMW and M Power Owners

Interesting first week of F90 M5 ownership; it receives far more attention that I would ever have anticipated.

1. Waiting at a traffic light controlled roundabout and two kids walking by start taking photos, one even kneels down to get a good angle! The bus driver next to me is looking in to the car thinking "who is this guy".

2. I park up, guy walking past says "nice car"

3. I'm standing near the car trying to fathom the parking machine and a group guys walk past slowly and have talk among themselves about car.

4. Numerous occasions where people take a pause.

This may have been a complete coincidence of a first week and no one ever comments on the car again. But not something I expected on what is to all intents large family [super] saloon. It's been quite nice/positive so far albeit a bit unusual.

Not so good

1. Skoda Estate on the M1 tried to entice to do something but not quite sure what. He sped up when I sped up, slowed down when I slowed down. It was all very odd.

2. Some sort of crossover Ford ST SUV up really close behind me, driving in middle of road behind me, again I presume trying to get a reaction - on the A14 - even though had a whole lane next to me to pass by.

Again, years of driving a Jaguar, not used to this kind of behaviour.
I certainly get a bit more attention and that is in a non obviously grey M2! Had kids shouting at me to rev it, even a dad and his kids a couple of weeks back.
Lots of people try it on though, not sure you'd get that in an M5 as it's just faster than anything else

I had some unwanted attention driving my M2 back from Germany. Had a few people tailgating me and others trying to race me. Draws attention around town, but that's expected. However, I'm not a fan of the aggression and bad attitudes from other drives :mad:

I had attention in the Caterham but it was all positive. Lots of smiles :D

Looking at a 2022 X4 M40i on AT that has been listed with some "extra features" but its not clear to me how the extras would be categorised into their respective packs.
Would any of the "spec" experts please be able to tell me what actual packs the following "extras" are summarised into and if there is anything else that is desirable but missing?

Deletion of Wireless Charging
Heated Steering Wheel
BMW Individual Lights Shadow Line
Galvanic Controls
Front Lumbar Support
Driving Assistant Professional
Parking Assistant Plus
Drive Recorder
Deletion of iDrive touch function
Gesture Control
Head-Up Display
harman kardon loudspeaker system
Front M Sport Seats
Decoding additional functions
Technology Plus Pack

Thx
Bintos

Last edited:
Deletion of Wireless Charging
Driving Assistant Professional
Parking Assistant Plus
Drive Recorder
Gesture Control
Head-Up Display
harman kardon loudspeaker system

Technology Pack Plus gives you these which is the most obvious optional package it has. A good one to have as well and not common.

This car also has a number of COVID era production issues on it - no wireless charging and the removal of the touch screen. The touch screen on many of them (But not all, a very small number had no touch capable display) was shipped without it being active and then added later through a software update. So, just because this one shows as being affected by this doesn't neccesarily mean it has no touch screen - it's one to check.

The front M Sport seats are also a rare option as well.

Technology Pack Plus gives you these which is the most obvious optional package it has. A good one to have as well and not common.

This car also has a number of COVID era production issues on it - no wireless charging and the removal of the touch screen. The touch screen on many of them (But not all, a very small number had no touch capable display) was shipped without it being active and then added later through a software update. So, just because this one shows as being affected by this doesn't neccesarily mean it has no touch screen - it's one to check.

The front M Sport seats are also a rare option as well.

Thank you very much for your feedback, most appreciated.

Quick question if I may, am I correct in assuming you checked the spec of the exact car from the Reg No, in some type of BMW database or were you talking generally about the X4 M40i from 2022 in conjunction with its AT description? No worries if you prefer not to answer, fully understand and grateful for your tech spec knowledge.

If the car had been in one of the blue colours I would be heading up to the dealers in a flash, the brooklands grey colour has me enticed though, it sounds like a nice car and is still under the original BMW warranty.

Thx
Bintos

Last edited:
Interesting first week of F90 M5 ownership; it receives far more attention that I would ever have anticipated.

1. Waiting at a traffic light controlled roundabout and two kids walking by start taking photos, one even kneels down to get a good angle! The bus driver next to me is looking in to the car thinking "who is this guy".

2. I park up, guy walking past says "nice car"

3. I'm standing near the car trying to fathom the parking machine and a group guys walk past slowly and have talk among themselves about car.

4. Numerous occasions where people take a pause.

This may have been a complete coincidence of a first week and no one ever comments on the car again. But not something I expected on what is to all intents large family [super] saloon. It's been quite nice/positive so far albeit a bit unusual.

Not so good

1. Skoda Estate on the M1 tried to entice to do something but not quite sure what. He sped up when I sped up, slowed down when I slowed down. It was all very odd.

2. Some sort of crossover Ford ST SUV up really close behind me, driving in middle of road behind me, again I presume trying to get a reaction - on the A14 - even though had a whole lane next to me to pass by.

Again, years of driving a Jaguar, not used to this kind of behaviour.
I think this a general fast BMW issue. I've had multiple numpties trying to get me to race them, including a Clio that raced right up to my bumper and started weave side to side like he's trying to perform an F1 overtake.

Question…

BMW service intervals seem crazy. 2 years or 16k miles, no way oil should be that old/done that many miles in a car like that at a time. On any car but especially one like an M3

If I’m on a service plan, can I still pay for a separate oil change? It’s done just over 8k on this current oil, and I don’t want to wait another 7k for it to be changed but BMW seemed to suggest I can’t do anything outside of the service plan

Last edited:
Have you told the technical team at the manufacturer how wrong they are? :D

I mean BMW care about the car getting to the end of the 3 years warranty, they don’t give a crap after that

So no, they aren’t wrong in terms of it being an acceptable interval, good for the longevity of the car, absolutely they are wrong and I’m sure they’d admit that behind closed doors

I mean BMW care about the car getting to the end of the 3 years warranty, they don’t give a crap after that

This isn't really true is it, it's just something people on forums say. Of course they care, if their cars had a reputation for the engines blowing up just outside of the warranty what impact do you think this would have on residual values and then new car sales?

So no, they aren’t wrong in terms of it being an acceptable interval, good for the longevity of the car, absolutely they are wrong and I’m sure they’d admit that behind closed doors
I've done 120k miles in my F80 M3 now and it's coming up to 9 years old. I've only ever changed the oil (or done any of the services) when the car has requested it, but I've always done the proper maintenance.

It's still, unsurprising, perfectly fine.

This isn't really true is it, it's just something people on forums say. Of course they care, if their cars had a reputation for the engines blowing up just outside of the warranty what impact do you think this would have on residual values and then new car sales?

I am truly back in the BMW fold, I have been humbled by Fox.

Question…

BMW service intervals seem crazy. 2 years or 16k miles, no way oil should be that old/done that many miles in a car like that at a time. On any car but especially one like an M3

If I’m on a service plan, can I still pay for a separate oil change? It’s done just over 8k on this current oil, and I don’t want to wait another 7k for it to be changed but BMW seemed to suggest I can’t do anything outside of the service plan
No different to many other service schedules of other manufacturers with similar cars unless you're planning on thrashing the life out of it on a track, but then you'd invalidate the warranty anyway. Yes if you wish to have the oil and filter changed in-between the service intervals then you can at a additional cost to yourself. You don't have to take the car to a BMW service centre either you can take the vehicle to an independent one as long as they use the genuine and correct parts..

No different to many other service schedules of other manufacturers with similar cars unless you're planning on thrashing the life out of it on a track, but then you'd invalidate the warranty anyway. Yes if you wish to have the oil and filter changed in-between the service intervals then you can at a additional cost to yourself. You don't have to take the car to a BMW service centre either you can take the vehicle to an independent one as long as they use the genuine and correct parts..

True

I’m used to the AMG schedule that was 1 year or 10k miles, which I always found more appropriate for these kind of cars but then I’m clearly wrong here so I’ll just go with it.

End of the day as well, I tend to get bored after 1-2 years anyway so if it was damaging the car, not really going to be an issue in my ownership :D

I'm in my early 30s and generally up to date with all things tech... but BMW ConnectedDrive has managed to stump me!

I'm new to the whole BMW Ecosystem after years of Jaguar and Mercedes. When I picked up the BMW from Sytner during the handover I was walked through the process of downloading the MyBMW app and set it up. They advised not to worry about ConnectedDrive as that's old.

However in the last week I've received multiple emails from BMW about whether I'm getting the most out of my BMW by using ConnectedDrive... which leads me to believe its still a relevant feature? But... what is ConnectedDrive? I've tried finding an app but it doesn't exist. When I Google it comes back with a store to unlock and purchase additional spec. The emails state I can use my phone as a digital key etc. which is a feature I'd quite like.

Also, is it possible to view the surround view cameras from the app?

Back
Top Bottom