BMW and M Power Owners

Man of Honour
If you want to check, ring up a BMW service department (at your local dealer for example) and ask them - they'll be able to see the warranty status.

Man of Honour
I never thought I'd say it, being such a Merc fanboy for 6 years, but this car is just unreal. My first C63, I mapped to just short of 600BHP, and the C63S was 518BHP on the dyno, so I'm used to cars with the same or more power but the way this puts the power down is absolutely terrifying at times, really catches me by surprise. The 4WD mode just means that the power is there instantly, none of the scrambling around for traction like I'm used to with the Mercs.

I'm so happy with it, I was a little unsure when I swapped keys as I started to worry maybe this will just be a sideways step as opposed to an upgrade, but those fears have been completely quashed now. Just everything about it is leaps and bounds ahead of the Merc.

With the Ultimate Pack as well, it's got so many little gadgets that are right up my street. Assisted Driving I thought cool but I'll never use it, but I bloody love it. It's so useful, it's a shame they removed auto lane change over here. I wonder if you could unofficially code that back in?

But yeah, SO HAPPY!

I'm getting it paint corrected and ceramic coated at the weekend, at which point I'll get some proper pictures

Last edited:
Soldato
Pretty peed off with BMW Inchcape Chelmsford. Bought my 6GT on 29 May. They said their software was playing up and they couldn’t print the invoice, but they would email it to me. I still haven’t received it.

As well the warranty docs came through but with wrong address. I emailed back asking for it to be changed on 30th May. No response.

I realised on 1 June, that the advert said Display Key, and I only received 2 standard keys. As well I’m interested in the BMW Dash Cam. Enquire via their ‘contact us’ form about the key and dash cam on the website. No reply.

I emailed on 3rd June asking for the invoice, no response.

I again emailed today, detailing:
1. Invoice
2. Display Key
3. Incorrect address
4. Dash Cam.

Still no response. At this point I’m tempted to email the central BMW customer service and make a complaint, can’t find a complaints email for Inchcape BMW. It’s just rude to ignore emails over 10 days.
Hey-ho I got an apologetic email response this morning.

1. Invoice attached. Good stuff.
2. Said he tried to order one but BMW don't allow them to be ordered anymore because the MyBMW App does everything the key does so makes them redundant. While probably true, I still feel like this is fobbing me off a bit. Anyone know if that's the case? It's a G32 6GT.
3. Asked Business Manager to Update it.
4. Gave me a quote for the Dashcam.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I actually looked at a 7 Series last year at BMW Chelmsford, it was missing the Display Key (which it definitely should have had).

They acknowledged this and the manager said he just doesn't bother ordering them if they are missing due to the cost. I'm pretty confident BMW will still be supplying them, but they aren't cheap.

Not really your problem though, if it's on the build sheet of the car, it should be there. I'd say it's essential if you have remote parking, otherwise, it's cool but not really that useful.

Soldato
I actually looked at a 7 Series last year at BMW Chelmsford, it was missing the Display Key (which it definitely should have had).

They acknowledged this and the manager said he just doesn't bother ordering them if they are missing due to the cost. I'm pretty confident BMW will still be supplying them, but they aren't cheap.

Not really your problem though, if it's on the build sheet of the car, it should be there. I'd say it's essential if you have remote parking, otherwise, it's cool but not really that useful.
Thanks for the helpful reply. That's the only feature that I think the key would be useful for, but I'm not sure if my car has remote parking. Any ideas on how to verify that?

I'm not overly bothered by the display key, the parking part would be nice, but might not be valid on my car anyway. Maybe I can try to get a discount on the dashcam as compensation for it.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Thanks for the helpful reply. That's the only feature that I think the key would be useful for, but I'm not sure if my car has remote parking. Any ideas on how to verify that?

I'm not overly bothered by the display key, the parking part would be nice, but might not be valid on my car anyway. Maybe I can try to get a discount on the dashcam as compensation for it.

It's quite rare, but it's worth checking. I'd put your VIN into bimmer.work and look for the option code 5DV on the list.

Doesn't that mean someone else has your display key? I'd escalate to HQ immediately. Seems bogus response from dealer.

Very good point.

Caporegime
Doesn't that mean someone else has your display key? I'd escalate to HQ immediately. Seems bogus response from dealer.

Would suspect a lot of them got sold on eBay once the original owners realised they're a relatively pointless novelty and they could get £100 for them

Man of Honour

Remote Control Parking was a rare additional option that cost £400 and was only available if you had the Display Key. It's unlikely it has it, but if it does it'll be listed on the vehicle specification of the car. The dealer should be able to give you a print out of the specification.

It also required Parking Assistant Plus - so if you don't have this (This is the surround view cameras) then you won't have remote parking.

They are correct in that other than remote parking everything the Display Key does is now done better by the My BMW app - but I am not sure this is the point. I'd want it as well, because as far as I am concerned it was an advertised part of the car.

Best thing to do here is get a 100% discount on the price of the dashcam by simply not bothering with it :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
Sure but are we lowering the competence expectancy of a dealer such that they can't count the number of keys?
My post was more in response to the 'someone else has your key' point - which, yes, they do but more likely because it got sold on and has since been reprogrammed to another car.

Man of Honour
My post was more in response to the 'someone else has your key' point - which, yes, they do but more likely because it got sold on and has since been reprogrammed to another car.

Or even more likely, it's sat in a drawer at the previous owners house after they forgot it even existed.

Man of Honour
To be fair to Mercedes, much of this is because it's a generation newer than your C Class was.

Even when I've test driven the new C43, and had a couple of 2023/2024 C Class hire cars, the quality has been so poor. My 2017 C43 was quite well built, then 2019 C63 was definitely a downgrade as it was the facelift, then the mini 2021 facelift (more of a software change with bits) again which my C63S was was absolutely awful. So many rattles all over the place, which were identical across said hire cars as well so it wasn't just a lemon of a car I had. I had to resort to buying strips of felt to put in between a lot of door card parts, bits in the boot etc to remove rattles. And as I said, when I had the hire cars, those same rattles were there in the exact same spots. Merc are just awful these days. Maybe E class and above is better but still...

Last edited:
Soldato
And as I said, when I had the hire cars, those same rattles were there in the exact same spots. Merc are just awful these days. Maybe E class and above is better but still...

That is one thing I don’t miss from my E63S, the creaks and rattles so they are on the E class as well. I do miss the noise of the AMG and the steering was much better in the E63S. The steering on the F90 is horrible in comparison even on the comp version

Last edited:
Man of Honour
That is one thing I don’t miss from my E63S, the creaks and rattles so they are on the E class as well. I do miss the noise of the AMG and the steering was much better in the E63S. The steering on the F90 is horrible in comparison even on the comp version

Yeah the noise is something I will always miss, so good. In that department BMW will never come close to the AMG cars I've had.

I don't want to sound like I'm dumping on Merc too hard, I've thoroughly enjoyed my 6 years of AMG ownership, the ownership experience has been amazing. And I'll likely go back, just wouldn't get a C Class again. But the drop in build quality over those three cars has been alarming.

The plan was to buy a new shape AMG GT in a year or two, and I may still do that, but it sounds like the build quality isn't C Class specific so will be interesting to see once reviews come out and I've had a test drive or two.

Back
Top Bottom